“Lovely food and service.”

Coach House at The Etrop Grange
Ranked #1,456 of 2,389 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Outstanding food and first-class service has always been at the heart of Etrop Grange and the WineGlass restaurant offers this and more by delivering exquisite food prepared with signature Michelin precision.Along with the classic WineGlass menu, our Chef has created a stunning Chef's Dinner Menu taking inspiration from his training at Noma and the Fat Duck. This menu combines simple ingredients with modern techniques to create visually stunning and delicious food for your pleasure.The WineGlass also provides an ideal setting for a business lunch, romantic meal or special occasion with stunning views over the manicured courtyard and traditional Georgian features within.As the name suggests wine features prominently in the restaurant with a list of 40 exeptional wines and champagnes offered by the glass providing guests with the unique experience of being able to sample and savor fine wines at affordable prices.Our wines are also available in the lounge bar along with a wide selection of draught and bottled beers, spirits and soft drinks. The bar provides the perfect setting to relax and unwind and offers a delicious selection of bar snacks including gourmet sandwiches, salads and other light meals.Private dining is also avaiable catering from 2 to 200 in a variety of settings from the traditional Library to the elegant Etrop Suite. Our Chef will be happy to work with you and your party to provide a bespoke menu perfect for your occasion.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went here for a mid week treat and we were not disappointed. The reception area is lovely and we were shown promptly to the dining area and head waiter who showed us to our table. He was really polite and pulled out my chair for me. We perused the menu and were surprised at the prices, but decided to stick with it. we ordered our meals and sat back to relax, a bread basket was brought round and we were given a roll each. This was a little hard not old hard just over baked I think. Our starters arrived quite quickly and my husband and I laughed at this huge plate and a tiny starter to one side it looked quite silly really. It was nice and enjoyable but very expensive for what it is. we were served out main extremely quickly after our starters were taken away, a bit too quickly for my liking it felt rushed. My husband ordered the lamb and we were a little shocked to find it came with no veg or potatoes and we were not told this. My main came with chunky chips and onion rings so I shared mine, but we should have been told that his main didn't come come with anything as due to the price I would have thought it did!!

The service was lovely but we were never asked once during our meals was it nice or ok, which was a shame really.

I wouldn't go back as I found it very expensive for what you get.

2  Thank ManchesterKitten30

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Having booked Sunday lunch in the hotel restaurant with a young lady on 25 April, my sister,her husband and myself were looking forward to lunch on the 12 May. When we arrived on Sunday, 12May, after each travelling 75 miles, we were advised that there was no booking and the restaurant was closed! After showing our disappointment we were offered lunch in the bar. The waiter disappeared to get menus. No drink offered, a 20min wait! Eventually he re-appeared with a special shortened menu from the kitchen. 2 of us chose lamb....when we placed the order, we were told, there was none!
We were then looked after by a charming waitress and waiter who were far more charming than the 'head' who greeted us. The food was good but what chaos and I would certainly not go again!

1  Thank Colin B
John O, General Manager at Coach House at The Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

I do apologise for the confusion on your arrival. Yes it was a busy day but this should not affect your visit and I do apologise for this.
My email is gm@etrophotel.co.uk If we can encourage you back to Etrop, let me know and I will assure you of our best service.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

First up; not sure if there is a 'Coach House' here any more - its almost certainly been renamed the WineGlass, but until such time as it gets a Tripadvisor page of its own, this is being filed under the Coach House page.

Secondly, until I returned from the four-day 'boys weekend' in Latvia, to which our lunch at the WineGlass was the prequel, I had no idea who the chef was, and even less that he (Ernst van Zyl) had stints at Noma, Le Manoir Aux Quatre Saisons and the Fat Duck under his belt.

We had pencilled in lunch here some time ago, but confess that the scant, and mixed, reviews on Tripadvisor coupled with a very lacklustre page on the hotel's website (still showing 'Winter' menus in mid-May), had us in two minds. I popped in the lunchtime before our intended visit - virtually empty, and the large all-day menu (dimensions rather than content) seemed more appropriate to a low-spec pizza joint (I am sure the dinner menu looks somewhat better). But after discussion we decided it was still the best bet before a 5.45pm flight.

Met in the bar (very much a hotel bar) where we had a drink and ordered our food - from memory three Salmon Mi-Cuit and a soup to start, three Grilled Fish of the Day (gurnard on 'our' day) and an Etrop Burger for mains. When we were shown to our table they had set us out in the centre of the otherwise empty conservatory (not a criticism; the main room was almost empty too, but the conservatory is much lighter) and pushed the other tables out to give us bags of room. A nice gesture.

The bread arrived with little Kilner-esque jars of smoked butter (it really did smoke when you opened them) which was a cracking opener. The salmon came with chicken liver smears and a couple of different beetroot adornments. Confess I don't remember what accompanied the gurnard but it was beautifully cooked, and we were beginning to realise that there was a pretty damned good restaurant here that to the outside world seemed to be hiding its light under a bushel. A very acceptable Chilean Sauv Blanc from the cheap end of the wine list went down very well, and might be the reason that I've forgotten what puds we had. The waiting staff were there when they were needed and did their jobs very well, but were happy to leave us to ourselves the rest of the time which was perfect.

In short, while our lunch didn't quite match out experience at The French in the city centre a few weeks ago (which was more than three times the price !) this was far, far better than we ever thought it might have been. The apparently social media-loving Mr van Zyl - @ErnieChef if you're interested - could do with persuading the hotel owners to start marketing their main asset (van Zyl himself) rather better online (i.e. more up-to-date menus on the website, including the all-day one). A few more reviews in some of the mainstream media might help, but I guess that's where we all come in.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Simple good wholesome and well cooked food with polite and prompt service; it was a pity the rooms let it down

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The food was well presented and served.unusual dishes especially for an airport hotel.
We thoroughly enjoyed all the dishes,although small they were sufficient.This was recommended by a friend,we were very dubious but pleasantly surprised.

1  Thank Stewart_Tauber