“Good value bistro”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: It's not often you find the perfect neighbourhood restaurant with a stylish dining room, stellar food and friendly service ��� but Rhubarb in West Disbury, Manchester, ticks all of the boxes. With quaint window boxes, mulberry coloured feature walls and walnut chairs, the dining room is light and airy, decorated with graphic floral canvases and filled with fashionable locals and Mancurian regulars who keep coming back for the cosy ambience and convivial atmosphere. The hearty international menu at Rhubarb includes favourites such as the Porcini mushroom risotto dressed with truffle oil and Parmesan cheese; the slow-cooked lamb shank served with pumpkin and cheese mash and root vegetables; and the skate wing cooked with capers, lemon and herbs with fried potatoes.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our first visit to the bistro. Four of us had the fixed price menu. There was enough choice and all the dishes we had were considered good. The restaurant is small and you need to book. Service was friendly and coped well on a busy night.There is a lot of competition in the area, but we will return again to Rhubarb

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is my third visit to rhubarb and the food is excellent. The menu is not extensive but enough to satisfy all tastes. The service was also very good. The only complaint is that there are too many tables together and it makes it quite loud.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Called in for a meal on a mid week evening. First visit. The set fixed price menus displayed in the window looked appealing however this is about as far as the appeal went. It didn't really feel like a restaurant - lacked atmosphere and decor - very "bland". The waitresses were quiite attentive but were not especially focused on what we ordered having to remind them of a couple of things a few times.
The food was delivered promptly but was very disappointing - I suspect the set menu items had been cooked in advance and kept warm as most of the food was very over cooked and not of particularly good quality. The bun for the burger for example was very cheap looking and essentially tasteless. Sorry but would not recommend or revisit!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Had high expectations of this restaurant however did not deliver. We unfortunately experienced very poor service. We had to ask for table water 3 times before it was finally delivered to the table despite our aperatif drinks arriving promptly. We both ordered main courses with a view to having the cheese board for afters. 50 minutes after we placed our order we had still not received our food. After querying this with the owner manager we were told that you HAVE to wait at least 45 minutes because we hadnt ordered a starter!! We explained this was not general practice and she assured me the chef just does everything in order regardless. 15 minutes later we still hadn't recvd any food and decided to leave. On talking to the owner once more we didnt really get any sort of apology, just a list of excuses trying to justify why we sat down at 8.30pm and still had no food at 9.45. Went across the road to Dhoop Shack and had a brilliant, service orientated, delightful experience delivered quickly and gratefully.....what a difference

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I Have eaten at Rhubarb many times and always enjoyed the food, but have not visited for about 18 months as I enjoy trying different places, but decided to go with my husband on the august bank holiday sunday for our anniversary meal. I wish we had'nt.... Every single thing was ordered was terrible. I started with a salad of roasted tomatoes and goats cheese which could only be descibed as pathetic... very small half a tomato(freezing cold) with a little blob of goats cheese on. I know its just a salad, but I often have salads in other places and theve been amazing(see the Rose Garden Restaurant opposite Rhubard, they know what there doing!) and my hubby had mushroom risotto which tasted like it had come out of a packet. rice was hard and you could only taste salt. The worse was yet to come as we both ordered the steak and chips with pepper sauce. I have no idea what was in that sauce but it was vile. we sent it back. The steak was OK, cooked well but tasted oily and was'nt the best quality meat, a bit like a cheap rump not sirlion as the menu said, but the worse thing(apart from the vile sauce) was the chips which were supposed to be tripple cooked but were burnt and tasked like dry cardboard. they were like chip shop chips that someone had left out overnight and then decided to re fry the next day. The only redeeming thing of the whole night was our lovely waitress(who was on her own as someone had phones in sick - where was cover for her?) who was increadably gracious about our complaint and took our wine off the bill. There were only a few other tables in where as the other places on burton road were almost full so I think other people may have experienced the same problems? I dont normaly like putting bad reviews on trip advisor,I Usually simply dont return to the establishment but I'm quite upset about the whole experience, especially with it being such a special occasion, and also the food is not cheap so feel cheated. This place used to be lovely. Not anymore.