“Fantastic restaurant - should be busier!”

101 Brasserie & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
101 Brasserie & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #801 of 2,421 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 101 Brasserie & Bar offers contemporary British Cuisine in a relaxed and informal atmosphere well suited to business lunches and candlelit dinners. The comfortably stylish dining room is the ideal place to enjoy some exquisite food and fine wine where diners can pop in early for breakfast or settle into the lounge bar after work for a cocktail or two. Head Chef Tim Lewis and his team create mouth-watering dishes using the finest ingredients, while the extensive wine list offers a range of fine wines from around the world. The restaurant is located within the Macdonald Townhouse hotel, a grade II listed building that lies on the corner of Portland Street and Princess Street, right in the heart the city. Free Wireless Internet is available throughout the hotel.
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My partner & I visited the restaurant last night having come across it on Tastecard site& checking good reviews on here. Warm welcome, jackets taken & sat at a lovely table - not too close to other diners but not far away either. The restaurant was quiet with only four other couples during the time we were there. The menu is quite limited but something for everyone. I had smoked salmon starter, other half had parsnip & apple soup - both were delightful & presented really well. For mains I had Chicken with bubble & squeak & my partner had Cod & mussels with potato purée. We ordered a portion of chips ( he really fancied some ha) & vegetables. For desert we had the warm layer cake with poached pear & rhubarb & apple crumble with custard. Presentation & taste was fantastic throughout! Our waiter was lovely too. Drinks are a bit pricey - £6.25 for a small pino Grigio & £4.25 for a bottled beer. Taste card offers 50% off the food so we paid just under £30 for a 3 course slap up meal. The quality was superb! The service was very good - only grumble is I has to remind the waiter that I wanted a wine top up. The restaurant is cosy & clean. If it could be improved in any way I'd say offer a couple more dishes to each menu but honestly you would not be disappointed with this restaurant - I hope it gets busier!! :)

1  Thank MissRunTings

Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a surprise! I booked this restaurant for a pre-theatre birthday lunch treat for my husband and me. We had an excellent meal at a good price and as a bonus were able to use our taste card to get 50% of the food bill. The food was delicious and we will certainly visit again

1  Thank Traveller2611
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We found this restaurant via tripadvisor and tastecard. We have visited many "above average"restaurants in Manchester, but 101 far exceeds this. Its both posh and fancy, however not pretentious.

From the warm and friendly welcome to the food quality, it has the lot. Im clearly neither posh or fancy, im used to tea not dinner, however I had a taste of the highlife and felt completely comfortable.

Allow me to describe our experience; On arrival our coats were taken and aperitif's brought to us, before being invited to our table. Food was delivered promptly and was expertly cooked and our wine glasses were regularly refilled. My post dinner Cognac was also served in a heated glass!

The service throughout was exceptional, professional yet personable and appropriately conversational.

To provide balance I would highlight the bar prices as a slight issue, and possibly the limited menu choice, however neither detracted from our visit.

We would definately frequent 101 without the added bonus of our tastecard.

An excellent restaurant, please please please maintain your high standards!

2  Thank martwelton
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Whilst meeting old school friends in manchester we booked ourself in for a lunch so that all the girls could chat, eat and drink well. We had an amazing time and all the staff were faultless , we did not have to ask for anything as they catered to our every need without being fussy. It really was a special experiance.

1  Thank Alice H
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had originally booked a different restaurant but changed when we saw the reviews of 101 on Tripadvisor. We were there last Saturday and for a quiet intimate dinner it was excellent. The menu is limited but the food is stylish, well presented and with a great taste. We had the egg benedict to start and lamb as main course, both was delightful. The service was polite and professional with a real attention to detail. All in all a most enjoyable experience