“Really nice food.”

Samsi
Ranked #383 of 2,254 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: SAMSI has been trading for 19 years in April, specialising in Japanese cuisine and food stuff. It began as an award-winning restaurant, which quickly expanded into four different cities in the North west of England. In response to customer request we began importing and selling ingredients in retail sizes while continuing to search Japan for the highest quality restaurant ingredients. We research every country for trends in Japanese dining in restaurants, hotels, and in homes. From the UK, we can supply worldwide reliably. Our recent expansion has been the manufacture of Japanese ready-meals in noodle, bento-lunchbox, and sushi packs. These have been developed with Manchester Metropolitan University. The taste test studies carried out by the university supported our ideal that the ready meals are restaurant quality. We not only deal with food products, but we also provide tableware to assist you in experiencing the most authentic Japanese style.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Really nice food.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This was my first experience of Japanese food, but I must say I really enjoyed it.
We were a party of 8, and although we filled out the online booking system, we had not received confirmation of the booking. I am not sure that they were expecting us as we were seated downstairs with no other tables in the middle of what looked like a grocery shop. This actually worked out better as we were on a staff night out and I had my ipod so we played our own music - it would have been nice to have been part of the ambiance though.
Although I have nothing to compare it to, I would recommend this resteraurant, as the food was excellent and the staff friendly and accommodating.

• Visited December 2013

Manchester
“Great food regular customer”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

When I moved to Manchester I hadn't really tried too much Japanese. But after visiting Samsi we go at least once a month. The sushi is fresh, the yakisoba and Katsu are great. A personal favorite is the chicken gyoza. Takeaway and restaurant have both been great.

London, United Kingdom
“Below average”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I've experienced bad Japanese restaurants before, though they're usually smaller. Of course almost all Japanese restaurants in the UK are smaller than this. I wonder whether there is any Japanese influence here at all? I suspect not.

I ordered the Salmon Sashimi, which was small, thin and at least a day or two old. 3/5.

Also the octopus and seaweed salad, which was in fact 5 small strips of octopus and a bowl of iceberg lettuce. I complained about its and the waitress brought a small bowl of seaweed, I felt very awkward about asking. I covered the dish with soy which helped make it palatable.

I was hungry so decided to try the lemon paper rice. This came hugely overlooked. Probably the worst of a very bad bunch.

The house saki was ok though.

Service is rare and akin to a school dinner or hospital meal trolly. Expect one or other of the two waiters to pass by occasionally and you can flag them down.

This place is huge, it's rubbish and unless you're taking 25 people for a work do (and even then) you should avoid it like the plague. I didnt find it particularly cheap either.

1 Thank David A
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Hard to beat!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Samsi offers delicious, freshly prepared food at reasonable prices and is one of those rare locations where you can treat yourself, but still feel virtuous, given the limited damage to both wallet and waistline!

Visited December 2013
England Wigan
“Pretty :-)”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was really looking forward to going here because I liked the idea of an authentic oriental setting. We went for a birthday party and we were split up onto two tables. Even though we pre-ordered there seemed to be much confusion over our food and who had ordered what.

In the end, everyone had got their food and mine still hadn't arrived. When I told them what I had ordered they looked at my blankly. In the end I got my food but I got pork instead of chicken that I ordered and to be honest, it was pretty average.

I enjoyed the experience but may not visit again.

• Visited October 2013