“Distinctly average!”

The Restaurant Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #168 of 2,296 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located in the heart of the city centre, on John Dalton Street near Albert Square, you will find the Restaurant Bar and Grill. As the flagship restaurant of the Individual Restaurant Company, this eatery is striking and contemporary in appearance. Situated on two floors, the restaurant provides the ultimate dining experience, with a stunning suspended staircase leading from the long bar to the large first floor restaurant. Attracting a cosmopolitan mix of diners, The Restaurant Bar and Grill is a popular choice for local business men and women as well as visitors to the city. The efficient and welcoming team, coupled with the exceptional selection of food and the lively atmosphere, make this bar and grill a must for dining.
Granada, Spain
“Distinctly average!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Service: The service is fairly attentive but staff very aloof. The waitress only asked if our main meal was ok after we had finished. I had left most of mine and complained it hadn't tasted very nice which she simply ignored and collected the plates. Food: If you are a vegetarian you can expect two choices; risotto or tart, very unimaginative and standard fare. The tart didn't taste very nice. The food my friends had was very average and not up to the standard you can get in similar type of restaurants in the city centre, very disappointing. I compare the service to the excellent piccolino's (sister restaurant) in didsbury, the Rbg staff would benefit from visiting there and learn what good looks like.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
“Average Food, Poor Service”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I visited The Restaurant Bar & Grill in Manchester for an anniversary meal with my girlfriend. We'd visited last June for a birthday dinner and were really impressed - I remember telling the waitress on the previous visit it was one of the best steaks I'd tasted outside of the USA.

Our most recent visit could not have been more different - we both had steak, mine a 14 oz bone in rib eye, girlfriend ordered an 8 oz rib eye. We had starters and there was a huge gap between them and the main course - around 40 minutes, with people who had come in after us receiving their mains before us.

The steaks tasted particularly bland, I've cooked steaks at home from Asda with more flavour, despite finishing our first round of drinks I had to catch the waiting staffs attention to order another round and they took almost 10 minutes to arrive. Both steaks were warm, rather than hot.

We ordered desserts in the hope it might redeem the meal - I ordered ice cream (which according to the menu came with a wafer), my girlfriend ordered a chocolate mousse cake with ice cream on the side. When these arrived the side dish my girlfriends ice cream arrived in had 2 large chips in it. My ice cream had a stick of chocolate but no sign of the wafer.

I don't enjoy complaining but sometimes you have to point out what should be fairly basic steps - its steak and chips at the end of the day, I asked to speak to the manager.

He did apologise but spent a bit too long telling me how good the feedback was on the new menu and how they used to cook the steaks in garlic butter but can't anymore due to allergies. At this stage it was a bit like he wasn't sure what to do - indeed he actually asked me what I wanted him to do. I was quite amused at this response, I suggested he use his discretion.

We received 20% off the final bill, I think perhaps it's become a bit too "chain" like - I think this is reflected by a lack of coments by the owner. Any business interested in their customers would these days take an interest in sites like tripadvisor and the feedback provided.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank VegasGuyUk
Manchester, United Kingdom
“very relaxing”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Dinner as 2 families pre a concert on the balcony. Really great food and service in a wonderful atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Visited March 2013
Dublin Ireland
“Really good meal in a very swish restaurant”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Had a business lunch here with 4 others. Was really impressed with it. Very nice bar downstairs and lovely restaraunt area upstairs.

V modern decor. All back booths and tables. A funky kind of place.

V wide ranging menu. I had a lovely fillet steak which although too rare when it arrived it (-ordered it medium rare but arrived blue) this was quickly sorted and the meat was really tender and full of flavour.

Two of my our party had the sea bass which had been cooked with spicy marinade on it. They said it was fantastic . The gourmet burger and tuna steak ordered by the other two guests looked excellent also.

Service was slick

Good buzz about the place and would like to revisit next time I'm over.

Overall. excellent

Manchester
“Mothers day misery. Photograph attached.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I like the Bar and grill and have eaten there many times over many years and some of its sibling restaurants. It was so bad that they acknowledged it that with an unrequested 20% discount to their credit.
I booked online for a table of four, We were shown to an excellent table and ordered. The starters came quickly and were fine.
The main courses which were amongst the simplest on the menu, they arrived at different times across the four of us with the worst being nine minutes between the vegetables arriving an the main course. The adjacent table couldnt help but look at us utterly bemused at the ramshackle collection of four incomplete meals.
The quality of the roast beef was poor, it was fatty and dry but the worst by far was the fish and chips, ordered by my son a picture of the plate with the fat laden batter is enclosed which tells a full story in itself.
The discount didnt mitigate how I felt, it just made the staff feel better about what the experience they had given us. I can guarantee 100% that if this had happened in Hectore`s Piccolinos, your sister restaurant just some two streets away this sort of performance would have seen him incandescent to this day and the resolution would have been complete and wholesome. It is not acceptable to have such a difference in standards across your group and I resent having to tell you something here that you almost certainly already know.

• Visited March 2013