“Authentic food and good atmosphere”
Review of Tampopo

Tampopo
Ranked #178 of 2,279 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The original Tampopo: small, but perfectly formed. On Albert Square and overlooked by the impressive Manchester Town Hall. Popular for work lunches, after work eats or gig and theatre dinner. Seats 64. Solo diners, couples or small groups all welcome. For enquiries and bookings please call the restaurant directly.
Yorkshire UK
“Authentic food and good atmosphere”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Well worth a visit to sample asian food. The table mat explains where all of the dishes originate in a useful colour coded manner. The service was average as mentioned in other reviews, but we enjoyed the overall experience.

Try to get a seat near the coat hooks.

• Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Like Wagamama, but different”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you like Wagamama, but want to feel like you're being exotic, then go to a Tampopo. They're basically the same thing.

• Visited January 2013
“Simple and good food.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We last went when it was 40% off mains (even on a Saturday night) so it was a bargain if nothing else. However, as I have come to expect from Tampopo, the food and service were both very good.

The only niggle is that they have changed their lunchtime "Express" menu and the new options aren't quite as tempting. However I'll still be going back regularly.

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Yummy! And a great 25% student discount!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

There used to be a Tampopo in Leeds, and I had never visited it before it closed down (possibly due to the location and then the arrival of competitor Wagamama).

So when spotting it in Manchester and reading hungrily through the menu I was keen to give it a try, my lunchtime tummy was growling!

We headed in, and the interior is far superior to Wagamama; much more warm and expensive looking, as opposed to a cold canteen. There was a lot on the menu that appealed to two pescetarians and we muttered many mmmm's and ahhhh's as we tried to pinpoint what we wanted.

We eventually ordered the ramen with tempura prawns, and James had a rice dish with prawns. Mine was delicious! We had ordered a side of chillis to spice things up a bit and I am glad we did, because I like my food pretty spicy! The soup wasn't as 'full' as at Wagamamas, but the flavours were delicious, and I still ended up slightly outfaced! The prawns were delicious; crispy and not too oily. James' meal was also delicious. We had ordered a side of edmame beans with chilli and salt and these were great, the chilli kick was nice, and different. I drank water and James had a bottle of coke. Our bill came to about £22, and we realised we had forgotton to ask for student discount, which we thought was 10% - no 25%!! And they were happy to amend the bill for us, reducing the meal to £17. Great value for delicious food I must say!

Service was swift and polite, which is what you want for essentially high end fast food!

I was really sad that the Leeds one had closed after visiting here, as I would certainly be a regular there if it were anywhere near as nice.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank iamsakurasunshine
Stockport
“Cattle-service, lovely food”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Well if you don't mind being processed (bleet!) then the food is worth waiting for. Apparently this is "authentic" but staff keeping on talking about their weekend's exploits whilst serving you is not exactly what one looks for.

Visited February 2013