“Great Dim Sum”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Great Dim Sum”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Amazing and fresh Dim Sum. Packed with Chinese - highly recommended! Try the steamed scallop dumplings.

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Authentic, tasty Cantonese and Schezwan food.”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

A Chinese colleague took me here for dinner after an appointment near by. He studied in Manchester and often ate here when he was studying. A Chinese restaurant recommended by someone Chinese is always a good sign!

There is ample parking, and it is located above a large and well stocked Oriental Supermarket so you can stock up with your goodies there before heading up for a meal.

It struck me that the decor was a little dated and so on, but this has been my experience of a lot of restaurants in my travels so it is probably part of the "authentic" feel. :) The place was clean and the staff were very friendly, attentive and efficient.

There are English and Chinese menus. My personal barometer for Chinese places is to see if they put out chopsticks or cutlery on the table - here is chopsticks. Good sign!

We had three roast platter, crispy chilli beef and twice cooked pork with steamed rice, Tsingtao and jasmine tea. All was delightful. Well cooked, well presented and good size portions.

My colleague picked up the bill so I don't know about price or value but it was a delicious meal for sure and I don't think too expensive :)

I'd eat here again with friends, family, work, clients. It lacked enough "ambiance" for a romantic date IMO but for pretty much anything else, I think it was very good.

I will eat here again if in the area.

• Visited May 2014
“Local Delight”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We've lived round the corner from Tai Pan for many years, but have never ventured in. It has been there for many years, so it is definitely doing something right.

The Dim Sum was lovely, though could have done with a bit more meat. For mains, the chicken szechuan was good, with a nice kick, and the chicken in black bean sauce had great vegetables. The prawn crackers were very nice. The noodles were extremely lovely.

Very pleasant restaurant and will be returning.

• Visited May 2014
York, United Kingdom
“pretty good overall”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This restaurant is about five minutes away from where we live but we have never ventured their before. One evening we decided to pop in and try it out. For starters we had vegetarian spring rolls and vegetarian pancakes, I expected them to be like Duck Pancakes but without the duck however they were more like dim sum, still quite nice. The one major issue we had was that they brought us meat spring rolls instead of veggie ones and obviously we didn't know until we had bit into them! They did change them when we told them but they didn't seem very apologetic or even that surprised! For main course I had a special mushroom chilli dish which was really good and PJ had tofu in black bean sauce which she said was up to standard. The bill came to about what we expected and they offer 10% student discount which is good for us. We did feel a bit rushed and we were given the bill before we asked for it which always annoys me, but overall it was a good meal and a nice restaurant, I think they need work on the service a little bit though.

• Visited February 2014
“good value dim sum”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

there is more obviously to this restaurant than dim sum , but thats what we tend to go there for , excellent value good variety and open all afternoon , not as good as the sadly now closed tai pan but then again nowhere is

• Visited March 2014