“What have you done to The Lowry....”

The River Restaurant & Bar
Reserve a Table
Thu, 10/17
8:00 PM
Ranked #267 of 2,866 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The River Restaurant & Bar at Manchester's award-winning Lowry Hotel, is situated on the banks of the River Irwell in the heart of the city. Executive Head Chef Andrew Green and his team have developed a new grill style menu, utilising a Josper Grill, the hottest grill in the market place, the menu offers not only beef but also a wide range of chicken, fish and shellfish. The team have sourced some of the best produce available including beef sourced from the Duke of Buccleuch Estates, chicken from Goosenargh, Sea Bass from Anglelsey and lobster caught in Usan. Key dishes include Inverawe smoked salmon, grilled asparagus with lemon mayonnaise. Our grill items include a full range of steaks from a 275g Flat Iron up to a 550g Chateaubriand for two, Usan lobster, Angelesy sea bass and lemon sole are highlights amongst the fish dishes The stunning views, chic decor and delicious food make the River Restaurant & Bar a must-try dining destination - whatever the occasion.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Loved the Lowry, have often stayed there and couldn't fault it. Hearing that the River Restaurant had had a revamp, 6 of us travelled from North Wales for Sunday lunch. Not a good start when the table they offered was right at the back of the restaurant with no view at all, despite there being others available. We agreed to have a drink in the bar while another one was set up. The new decor is cheap and cheerful, looks like the sort of place you'd have breakfast in a cheap hotel. Shown to table, waited too long for order to be taken. Starters were ok, my mackerel was miniscule. 5 of the party ordered roast beef, there were only 3 portions left. Waited even longer for the main courses to arrive. My sweet potato curry contained mostly cauliflower, which I hate, and had been no mention of. Veg was cold, pork too salty. All a bit bland. Extra gravy and mustard was requested. We were half way through the meal before that arrived. Lots of staff around, but poorly trained and made for a disappointing experience. Beware of the black tiles going into the restaurant, they are Uber slippy....even the handle was falling off the ladies loo door. We realised it is no longer a Forte hotel and it shows. We won't return.

1  Thank Mat1lda1
Write a reviewReviews (532)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very disappointed with the new look 60/70s cafe look and the tables. Dined here on numerous occasions. Had the for for snack that looked like a lump of jelly but tasted of absolutely nothing ,not even a hint of the sea. Followed by beef wellington medium rare again it was very dry and the jus which was supposed to be oxtail tasted very bitter and tasted nothing like oxtail. Very expensive for a meal we did not enjoy at all. Will probably
Not be returning.

2  Thank daytripper11
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I came here for afternoon tea on Sunday. First, when reserving the place, the resaturant staff responded quickly to my emails. For me, the afternoon tea was good/very good - i.e. I would have scored it 3.5 out of 5. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and I was at the River Resaturant (I think tea was usually in another part of the hotel?) - it was OK, but the tables were situated overlooking the canal - shame about the view of the monstrous grey building opposite! The tea was good - nice savoury treats, though the sweet desserts did give me a feeling of an uncomfortable sugar rush (I ordered the 'basic' afternoon tea at £22.50).

1  Thank Murdom
Reviewed September 9, 2019

We visited this restaurant having heard of how good the Lowry is. I have to say whilst the price was good (had the food been) £20 a head in the temporary set up. The environment of the temp set up is well worth missing out on, No atmosphere at all.
If the menu provided is anything like the menu for the riverside when it is reopened, then I'd seriously suggest that you visit one of the many excellent restaurants just across the bridge in the 'Spinningfields' complex. The food was the than average for a restaurant of this supposed standing. One of our party is a vegetarian, the only option on offer for a non meat eater was a 'sweet potato curry' .
I really cannot recommend enough that you give this place a miss and instead go to one of the many other restaurants in the area for a much better experience at a similar price range. There is nothing I'm afraid to say good about eating here. Even the view .... it isn't that good, certainly not from the replacement room and that's just one floor up.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Ned K
Reviewed August 23, 2019

Dined here for the first time 9 days ago, table overlooking the Irwell. From start to finish staff were very attentive and pleasant, Dwayne was mainly our server, very friendly, attentive and helpful. Although the menu is not a vast choice, the food is very tasty, nicely presented and was more than enough in quantity for both myself and my husband. The staff were on the go all the time and were all friendly, smiling and keen to please. We’ve booked again for next week as we had such a pleasant and relaxing evening. Thank you to our server Dwayne, other staff we met were Jason, Ali, Monica and Natya.

Date of visit: August 2019