“Good Dim Sum.”

Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I decided to visit this restaurant having found my favourite old haunt in Chinatown closed down.

Quite good selection of Dim Sum, although some of my favourites were missing from the menu. It was tasty and the place was full, most customers were Chinese (which is always a good sign) and a good introduction for my friend, who had never been to Manchester or had Dim Sum before.

The only thing that I wasn't that impressed with was some of the staff, who looked hassled and a bit grumpy.

Overall, not bad, but will probably try out some other places.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Dont enter the Chinese level go right to the top floor. Best thai food I have had outside Thailand. there is a great selection. Lunch offers a great set menue with a good choice.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Superb restaurant, I visit Pacifica on a regular basis and it never fails to exceed my expectations. I couldnt fault anything from the Establishment to staff. Food is Excellent everytime

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have visited this restaurant a number of times and the food is generally very good. There are some places in Manchester's Chinatown which are poor, but Pacific is one of the better places to visit. Inside, the decor is quite basic and clean which is fine with me. Note that the restaurant is on the first floor. (There is a lift, though it looks small and I have never used it.)

The atmosphere is what you would expect - relaxed, no dress code, appeals to a range of ages. You get a variety of clientele as well ranging from older Chinese people, families, small groups of 20 somethings, and the occasional business diners.

My friend and I ordered the dim sum - I think the restaurant operates a dim sum only menu on weekday lunchtime; we did not see a menu for anything else. The order was for the usual suspects: har gow and siew mai, two portions of each (four pieces per portion). I find that the siew mai at some Chinese restaurants taste like the frozen variety you can get in a Chinese supermarket. Thankfully, that is not the case here as both dishes taste good. Other dishes that I have tried and would recommend would be the sweet and sour dishes (the balance is just right), chicken fillet in honey and lemon sauce, and roasted belly pork. I find that the roasted duck dishes are sometimes hit and miss.

Criticisms would be the service. You really have to put your hand up to get the waiter's attention and tell them you want to order, especially if you are by yourself or in a smaller group. If you expect the waiter to come to you to take your order, you may be disappointed. We waited 20 minutes before we ended up flagging down our waiter (and even then he did not have his pad to take down our order). The other criticism is my pet peeve: the ridiculous length of the full menu. Not so bad when they only have the dim sum menu out, but be warned that the full menu has over 200 dishes.

If you want a decent and unfussy Chinese restaurant in Manchester city centre, Pacific is a reliable bet. The price is fairly moderate, especially when you consider that they do not skimp on portion sizes. £7-8 should get you a decent sized plate of food. Our four portions of dim sum came to £11.80 (service not included).

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place is fantastic for Dim Sum, quality and flavour is usually of a very good standard. The available food is of a lovely authentic Chinese cuisine and not that awful westernised tourist rubbish!

My family and I often go quite regularly as it is one of the best places in China town to eat.

Good value, good food and the service is not bad (especially as they are so busy).