“Very poor food- overpriced”
Review of Livebait - CLOSED

Livebait
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Famous for its fresh and simple seafood, Livebait hooks Manchester diners with its cheerfully inviting approach to dining. Old favourites such as cod and chips and Dorset crab are crowd-pleasers, but the menu also features more unusual options, such as the fragrant fish & shellfish curry and the sustainably caught wild striped sea bass. The black and white tiled restaurant interior matches the straightforward attitude of the kitchen, while lighter bites are available all day in the bar area.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a very disappointing meal here. Crab cocktail which was crab with a cheap bottled seafood sauce poured over (£8.50!!). A few whitebait served in a tiny bucket. The mains were Ok but I only had one small fillet of seabass. The meal lacked any sort of style and flair. This is not an upmarket restaurant at all- the food was clearly put together by someone with little skill. We had a 50% off voucher and it was hardly worth what we paid. To cap it all service was calculated on the bill based on what we would have paid if it was full price. Avoid!

2  Thank Clare S

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here, the shellfish platter is amazing and a must for all seafood lovers. The service was excellent and Helen the manager is a credit to her profession. She was friendly, highly knowledgable and an outstanding host.
I will return soon with my friends and look forward to another platter!

1  Thank Jchadders
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Seemed to have lots of promise by the name and looks, but don't bother with this place, as the food was marginal, at best.

1  Thank David R A
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We last ate at the Manchester Livebait back in 2006 so, when we couldn't get a table at Jamie's Italian for a Saturday night, decided to go back to what had been one of our favourite restaurants.
That the place was more than 3/4 empty on a Saturday night tells a bit of a story, frankly and Livebait isn't doing much to get punters back through the door. The decor doesn't appear to have been changed or even refreshed since 2006 and we never felt better than cold all night.
We arrived a bit earlier than our friend and decided to take a drink in the bar area. The wine menu revealed prices that made our eyes water somewhat, although their was a decent small glass of Chilean Sauvignon blanc for £4.95.
The menu does not provide any 'offers' after 7pm which, given how empty they were, you'd think would be their first move. After our friend arrived we ordered starters and mains. I went for the chicken liver parfait, which was surrounded by a thick layer of butter which no-one in their right mind would eat. The parfait itself was tasty enough and came with a nice blob of some sort of fruity chutney and some pieces of thick toasted bread; I'd have liked a bit more bread, to be honest. One of my friends ate the special mackerel pate (which I wished I'd chosen, as it looked very good), a serious portion served on a large croutony thing, with a good dollop of some sort of potato and caper salad; the other one chose the cullen skink soup, which was served hot and was tasty and full of good bits of fish.
Next, one friend and I both chose the cod served with a wild mushroom and pancetta risotto. It was a bit bland, to be honest and we were slightly disappointed, though the fish was cooked perfectly. The other friend - the one who'd chosen the better starter of mackerel pate - opted for the fillet of sea bass, which was well cooked and served with spinach and various other items.
Two of us (Mr Good Choices and I) wanted a pudding and we both opted - on the recommendation of our female wait-person - for the pain perdu. This turned out to be the star turn of the night and was some sort of thick, fruit and nut French toast, served with fried bits of banana and a rum and raisin sauce and ice cream. I'd actually be willing to go back there just for that.
The bill - including my tonic water, 2 small glasses of wine and one large and a Peroni, came to a bit of an eye-watering £111.10, including 10% service.
I do wonder, however, how much longer Livebait will continue to trade, given its lacklustre showing on the what should be the busiest night of the week.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had tempura oysters as an appetiser; the batter was slightly heavy but they were nevertheless very tasty. Excellent crab cocktail and chicken liver parfait for starters followed by perfectly cooked whole lemon sole, well sauced, and equally perfectly cooked line caught cod, although the latter was served with a rather cloying mushroom risotto. With two cocktails to start with and a very nice Albariño the bill came to £121 including service. Service from the kitchen was initially a bit slow but the waitress was very pleasant. Overall an enjoyable meal.