“Good food and atmosphere”
Review of Little Yang Sing

Little Yang Sing
Ranked #317 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were very pleased to be given a table having not booked on a Friday night. We had to be out by a certain time, but the service was such that this was not a problem. Food very tasty and well presented, and reasonable value given the location.

1  Thank JMJ630

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Friday evening, very busy. Decor is a little tired and tables are close together.
Starters of seaweed, prawn toast and spring rolls were good, as was the crispy duck. Fried rice and chicken kumpo was also good. Virmichelli was lacking in flavour. Red wine £24 was poor and the coffee was cold. For £80 could have eaten better!!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

It's a couple of years since my last visit to the Little Yang Sing and my memories were kinder than the reality of this visit. Service was pleasant and attentive and the restaurant was busy, giving a good ambient feeling. We ordered a mixed platter of dim sum but they weren't especially pleasant. I've not previously had spring rolls with chicken and cheese and I hope I won't again. One of the samosa' had some sort of slimy, minced meat with little flavour. There was slimy prawn on mushy cucumber and an average prawn dumpling. Another variety of samosa was creamy chicken, nothing like the varieties of samosa eaten anywhere else! At £7.95 a head I also thought it rather pricey. We ordered lemon chicken and roast duck in plum sauce, both plentiful and quite tasty but nothing that I couldn't buy in the freezer cabinet at a supermarket. Two china teas, two starters, two mains and one small portion of rice (£3.80!!!!) totalled almost £60. I'd far rather go to the Rice bowl and that's where I'll go next time!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

When we arrived at the restaurant, it didn't look particularly appealing from the outside, but on entering down the stairs, were pleased to find the place full and much more slick on the interior.

We asked for a table for three although hadn't booked (Saturday night!) and were quickly found a table. The restaurant had a good atmosphere, and lots of staff so you were never kept waiting even though was obviously near to capacity.

We had a drink each while ordering and a bottle of wine with our meals, which we decided on a mixed platter to share followed by 3 mains, egg fried rice and chips. The food was all very tasty and served in good time, although didn't feel too rushed which can often be the case in busy Chinese restaurants.

The only real negative was the bill, £120 for the three of us, which did seem a little steep for drinks, a main course each and a sharing platter. Overall enjoyed, but couldn't afford to eat here every week, or rather could spend £40 per head on food a little more sophisticated!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

After visiting the restaurant for over 15 years including several Christmas day family visits, I thought I would give the Little Yang Sing another try as after a previous visit I noticed standards had slipped. We attended the restaurant it was around 17.00 and there were about 4 other people there so it was quite quiet. When we were seated for quite a while the manager/owner took our order, which he had not done on any previous visits. He was quite abrupt and rude when I asked a couple of questions regarding the menu. He then leaned over me to get the other menus. After 15 minutes we still hadn't been served our drinks. We eventually asked a waitress who said our order had been misplaced and ten minutes later they arrived. Unfortunately the order was wrong and had to be replaced. The food service was also dreadful and we eventually got our Dim Sum. The restaurant was getting busier and several other people who came in after our group were served with food before us. Another long wait for our soup. During the meal we noticed a waiter was disciplined by the manager in front of us which was embarrassing. The manager himself didn't apologise for the drinks or the slow service he sent a manageress. The whole atmosphere at the Little Yang Sing has changed, the staff looked terrified and most of them didn't seem to know what they were doing. The owner/manager has no manners or social skills to deal with the customers. Unfortunately what was once a great restaurant has now changed for the worse and we will not be going back.