“Welcoming good dining experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lime Tree Restaurant

The Lime Tree Restaurant
Ranked #109 of 2,185 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
UK
“Welcoming good dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I had arranged to go out for lunch and had thought of eating at another restaurant but decided to try out The Lime Tree. It's been many years since I had been and I was pleasantly surprised. We had come with a dog and were told it wasn't a problem and as well as making a fuss of the dog they offered us water for her. . I ordered the set menu and my companion ate a la carte. Both meals were outstanding and I have made a note to come back again very soon.

1 Thank lynda99

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I booked the Lime Tree for dinner for two and was disappointed by the evening. I was told when I booked that only 7.00pm was available which was slightly earlier than I wanted but there seemed to be plenty of tables available when we were there even though it was Saturday evening. We were unable to order a cocktail, and were told that the restaurant do not serve cocktails. The staff seemed unaware that they were disturbing dinners by moving tables, talking loudly across the restaurant by one member of staff in particular and setting the tables for quite some time during our dinner. The food was great but portions slightly small, dated menu choices and relatively expensive. I had a 3 course dinner and drinks the previous evening in Didsbury at Chalk for the same price as 2 courses and drinks at the Lime Tree. Throughout the evening we did not have a dedicated server which was a shame. Overall not impressed and given the high standards from other restaurants in the area, i wont be returning.

1 Thank DidsburyDiner2014
Winchester, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My brother with whom I was visiting recommended this restaurant. He said it never fails and it didn't. It was very quiet in the restaurant though as the World Cup final was on so it was a fairly quick meal. Nevertheless the restaurant was clean, modern, staff were friendly and efficient. The food was very good. We had an enjoyable meal.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Can't fault the food but customer service is appalling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Have regularly visited the lime tree with my family over the years and food has always been great. Decided to book a table for my mum's birthday - 6 of us ate and the bill came to £230 which I completely expected and have never had a problem paying this as the food has always been enjoyable. Can't fault the food overall however there was one problem. For some reason there was bouquets of lilies placed around the restaurant, one of which was in the entrance hall. Now lilies do look lovely however it seems to appear that whoever arranged this didn't realise the pollen stains anything it comes into contact with. My daughter had brought her baby to the meal and must have brushed past them as she was wheeling the pram in. Half way through the meal she stood up and we noticed the pollen all over the back of her new jeans and top. Cut a long story short they are the only jeans that fit her at the moment as her baby is only 8 weeks old. We complained about this and politely told a guy called Paul that the pollen on the flowers is a permanent stainer. He stated if the stains did not wash out they would pay for them to be dry cleaned. Didn't get an apology. May I also mention we were sat next to the door and a number of people commented that the lilies should not be there upon entering the restaurant. Unhappy with the outcome my daughter called the restaurant the following morning and stated that she didn't think it was good enough to have to wait for the trousers to be dry cleaned (she had washed them twice that night and stains were still there). The lady she spoke to was quite nice apparently however she called her back after speaking with the owner of the restaurant and stated that he wasn't willing to replace the trousers. I think this is pretty disgusting considering we have spent thousands of pounds in the lime tree over the years. She has now had to go out and buy another pair of trousers as they were the only ones that fit her while she is trying to lose her baby weight. Very disappointing. The jeans were only £40 and like I said previously this is a minuscule discrepancy considering the amount we have spent in this restaurant on food and tips. Sad to say we will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew K, Owner at The Lime Tree Restaurant, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
We rarely respond to trip advisor posts but on this occasion felt the need to do so as your comments both inaccurate and unreasonable.
It was very unfortunate your daughters clothing came into contact with pollen from flowers which had opened from bud in the warm weather. This was our mistake and we take responsibility for this. Both the managers your daughter spoke to in person and on the phone rightly advised you to take the garments to a specialist dry cleaner, also offering to collect the clothing from your daughters house and take them to our own specialist. Both our managers asked your daughter to send us the receipt for cleaning and stated that we would pay the bill adding that if the clothes were not restored to normal, we would replace the clothing.
Unfortunately and against our advice, your daughter, decided to wash the clothes herself, therefore making matters worse. She then telephoned us and demanded payment for the clothes.
It is our policy that if clothing is damaged in the restaurant due to a spillage or similar incident we will replace the clothing once we have seen it, preferably with a receipt or proof of value. As our staff stated at the time, if your daughter brings the damaged clothes into the restaurant for us to assess we will as a matter of goodwill reimburse you with the cost of the clothing. Without seeing the garments we can do nothing.
Our customer service is second to non. We have friendly and professional managers and waiting on staff who have worked for us for many years and we stand by their management of this situation.
costa mesa
“Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We have been visiting the Lime Tree for over 15 years, family gatherings, work meetings, lunch, dinners and always choose it as a destination restaurant. However, portions have changed, we chose from the A La Carte and the crab starter was minute, the main course portions were much smaller and we felt disappointed.

• 1 of 5 bubbles