“Decent restaurant, just off Deansgate”
Review of Koreana

Koreana
Ranked #363 of 2,296 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Decent restaurant, just off Deansgate”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Nice little basement restaurant with a generally good quality meal served up. I've used this place for lunch takeaways, as well as eating in a few times too. I would second the chicken gangjung recommendation and the kimchi salad too.

Atmosphere's a little lacking, but it's definitely one to try.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank JJ-DJay

• Korean first
manchester
“Always good food”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Have been going to this place for years and keep going back.
We've been through the menu which doesn't seem to change, they used to do sushi but stopped years ago.
Service is a bit average sometimes but it's friendly & i'm sure the portion sizes have got smaller.
The beef rib bulgogi is excellent, as is the chicken gangjung, bibimbap and kimchi.
I think most people go past it without knowing it's there, give it a try.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank pks1
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“OK to eat in; great for a take-away lunch”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I mainly use Koreana for take-away lunches if working in the city centre (anyone going there from the office normally has a few orders from colleagues as well!). My favourite is the spicy seafood (I ask for extra-spicy) with rice, egg and vegetables - delicious!

I have eaten in the restaurant a few times with colleagues, but don't feel it has much atmosphere despite good food. However, I recommend giving it a try.

Tip: if you are not familiar with Korean cuisine, you may find it useful to download the menu from their website for descriptions of their meals in advance of your visit (the full menu, including prices, is in the left-hand column of the web page): http://www.avau33.dsl.pipex.com/menu/menu.html

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Aurelia08
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Average food and service”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We called in for a mid-week lunch at 2.10pm. The waitress brought the lunch time menus and we ordered the business lunch starter and mains for approx. £8 each. The waitress tried to persuade us to order the more expensive 3 course lunch. We said we were short on time and money! The waitress said the kitchen was closing at 2.30pm and the starter and main would come out at the same time. We said this was not a problem.

I had veg dumplings. Very ordinary and needed cooking a little longer. The bimimbab was also very bland and the spicy prawns were not the best.

My husband had a bento box and soup, again rather bland.

We were asked if everything was ok and I said not especially and we were rather disappointed. The waitress said next time when the kitchen was not closing we could have more courses, ribs she said that would be better.

We spent £22 and had two halves of beer. Not worth it.

I did notice there were only two other tables occupied when we arrived and that 10 minutes after we arrived a group of asian ladies came in. They ordered and were served after long after us so clearly the kitchen wasn't closed. I did hear them complaining about one of their dishes though!

Recently visited Ban di Bul in Manchester, at a later time of 3.30pm - food was excellent and staff were accommodating.

Next time we eat Korean in Manchester we shall avoid Koreana.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank luvfoodantravel
Portishead, United Kingdom
“Good Value food and sound service”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

A below-ground room that is basically functional. The service level is dependent on who serves you and the number of others eating in the restaurant as there seem to be the same number of people serving (normally around 2) whatever the number of guests.
The choice of food is good and, if you get the right person attending, the explanation of the meals also good.
The quality of the food is also normally good with interesting tastes.
Overall good value, clean and prompt service if you choose a time when the number of guests is not high

Visited December 2013