“Excellent from start to finish”
Review of The French

The French
Ranked #50 of 2,254 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Adam Reid at The French strikes the perfect balance between heritage and progressive cuisine. While the restaurant is steeped in history, our current menu offers modern British food that delivers consistently excellent flavours by using the best seasonal produce and the very latest technological advances. Married seamlessly to its new contemporary direction, the breathtaking dining room of this historic restaurant encompasses both the new and old, with undeniable opulence and timeless elegance. Stepping boldly into the 21st century, Adam Reid at The French offers outstanding levels of service, warmth and style, that in turn, create a relaxed and friendly atmosphere like no other in Manchester.
Manchester UK
“Excellent from start to finish”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Having been a regular at the French before it's refurbishment my husband and I were keen to see what Simon Rogan could bring to the Midland. We went for the 10-course menu and it was outstanding from start to finish. Having tried other taster menus and eaten in Michelin starred restaurants we both agreed that this was the best food / food experience we have had. Would love to go back once the wallet has recovered! Food great, staff great, ambience great.

• Visited November 2013

cheshire
“Some lovely elements but some real disappointments”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have been to many lovely places but this was a very strange experience that left my husband more underwhelmed than myself.
Having arrived at 8PM we were taken into a very bright dining room. The chandeliers were very pretty but not in keeping with the rest of the decor. The wooden tables looked like they were from ikea and we have noticed on here since that other people thought the same! They would look so much better with table cloths I know they want it to look modern but it has ended up just looking cheap. The chairs are incredibly uncomfortable and after 3 hours sat in one for a 6 course tasting menu we were keen to go home!

The food was incredibly well presented and 'pretty' and I was full after the 6 courses but because there is no options other than the tasting menu if you don't like something then there is no alternatives. I don't for example like tartare but had to give this to my husband. We were able to swap one dish as we don't like mushrooms but it was quite restrictive. We have been to other michelin establishments where although a tasting menu there is different versions or an alternative a la carte. I did send my feedback to the restaurant but they haven't bothered to reply!

I liked the stones used for the butter, the rustic slates and wood and the flowers on the dishes but the meal didn't really flow well and it didn't feel like the dishes went together.

The main took an extremely long time and the waiter came over to apologize but instead of offering us another drink or something else they said they were bringing another dessert! At this point I didn't want a second dessert I really wanted to go home!

Dining here should be a relaxed casual affair but it dragged on and on...

The Maitre d was very good at her job and I thought she hit the right notes of friendly and not too stuffy. The waiting staff were very enthusiastic and it was nice to see some young English waiters learning the ropes and they were all very good at their jobs. It did make us chuckle when we were asked to think about the flavours in the next course and feed back to the waiter our thoughts, that seemed a little contrived and not something he had just thought to ask us...

I also at one point mentioned this was my birthday meal and I noticed on here that for other people they wrote 'happy birthday' on their dessert but there wasn't anything like this for me.

An interesting experience that won't be forgotten but a shame they didn't acknowledge the feedback I sent in.

1 Thank luxuryliker28
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Go with an open mind”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I totally get why some people may not like this restaurant however part of going to a ‘top’ restaurant for us is to experience something different; different décor, different service, different food and different wine. As such we loved The French and definitely return. However if you are a fussy eater, don’t bother as every course has something you may not of heard of or certainly wouldn’t have tried before. My advice would be to just go with it and enjoy the whole experience. If you have looked it up on their web site then you should not be surprised at what you get as it is exactly as it appears, sophisticated, elegant and unique– so why are people surprised by the décor, food, prices etc? We had six courses and we came out satisfied without being over full although we were told most people do go for the ten courses! I particularly liked the fact that the staff are young (some straight out of college) and are being given an opportunity of a lifetime. They do a good job and brought a certain joy to the table.

2 Thank Kaytie66
Manchester, United Kingdom
“First time at the revamped French - Top notch”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We'd been to the French a few times over the years and always had an excellent experience.

Finally got in having booked several months in advance, it was worth the wait ... and we won't be waiting as long for the next visit.

Its difficult to see how food, presentation and delivery could get any better.

• Visited November 2013
Luton, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable evening”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

After reading some of the reviews for the French I was unsure whether or not we had made the right choice. My concerns were unnecessary we were greeted warmly on arrival, the staff were all very attentive and friendly and explained the concept of the menu. We chose the six course menu and it was very enjoyable there were some extra courses that we did not expect and every course was packed with flavour. We also went for the additional cheese course which had some lovely cheeses to choose from but in hindsight it was probably a course too far as the six courses were more than enough on the night. We chose our own wine as I thought the matched wines were too expensive. Thanks to all the staff who made our evening a very enjoyable one.

1 Thank GordonLU