“Lovely stay at a lovely B & B.”
Review of Verdene Hotel B&B

and 1 more site!
Verdene Hotel B&B
Ranked #3 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Verdene for one night whilst passing through Manchester. Did not know what to expect (Moss side? Vegetarian?) I need not have worried. Room was lovely, clean and very quiet (even though we were facing the road) bathroom was small but did'nt matter as shower was good and hot. Had a good night out down the curry mile which is a short walk away and a good nights sleep at the Verdene. Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Verdene Hotel B&B

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Let me start by saying this first folks - I don't usually write reviews, but, in the case of the Verdene, I am making an exception. The reason? This place is a little gem!! Having occasion to stay here on a regular basis for the past six months or so, for work purposes, I can thoroughly recommend this lovely little establishment. If you're looking for a warm, friendly welcome, excellent standards of cleanliness, comfortable rooms and oh yeah, let's not forget the clincher...reasonable rates, this is the place to stay. All the rooms have free wifi, flat screen tv, comfortable beds and excellent ensuite showers. I have stayed in four of the rooms and all are of the same high standard. There are no other B&B's in this locale that offer the same consistency and value for money - trust me, I've tried them!! Everything is on the doorstep... the Academy music venue, the 'curry mile', Manchester Uni, Royal College of Music, Whitworth Park and Art Gallery (and the list goes on). Also excellent transport links to the city centre, Chorlton, Didsbury etc. In short, why pay extortionate city centre rates for substandard facilities when the Verdene is available. Like most people, myself included, once you've stayed one night, you'll return again and again. I guarantee it. Sean M.

Room Tip: If available, try and get a room at the front of house and admire the beautiful view overlooking Wht...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I enjoyed staying here, it is only a few miles away from the City Centre which is served very well by 24/7 public transport. Just around the corner was the famous Curry mile which is a must visit. Also nearby is the Museum and Art Gallery area, I would not have across this if I stayed in my usual branded hotel in the City Centre.

Overall excellent facilities and I will be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here in May 2012 for one night in order to attend a concert. With this in mind, we were not looking for the bee's knees, accommodation-wise. It would not have been our first choice had the concert not fallen on a bank holiday, and we feel that we should be honest in our review.

First impressions were not the best, as we were greeted by a young woman whose English was not the best and led into what was supposed to be the office. It resembled more of an untidy sitting room, with piles of paper and clothes dotted around and we were left waiting here for quite a while. When we eventually were shown to our room, which was a standard double with an en suite bathroom, we were unimpressed.

The decor of the hotel itself was shabby and dingy and this extended to our room. It was a very cramped loft room (we were also not fully convinced that it was the only room available) which left us feeling claustrophobic at times. We could have accepted this if not for the general shoddiness of the decoration. The door to the room was very difficult to open as it did not clear the carpet. The door to the bathroom had no such problem as it swung back open if not held, and the bin had to be used as a lock. Wires were exposed and the paintwork was some of the worst we have ever seen.

Upon pulling up the blind on the skylight window, we were greeted with the sight of an enormous bird splat, which had clearly been noticed by staff as their feeble cover-up attempt showed, but no attempt had been made to remove it.

Having been to our concert, we walked home through what was not one of the nicer areas in Manchester, but we made it home (alive, thankfully) and looked forward to a good night's sleep. However, the room was extremely cold which definitely put an end to those hopes.

One compliment towards the room, though, was that the bathroom had recently been re-fitted with modern furnishings and the work had been done to a good standard.

After our uncomfortable night, we went downstairs looking forward to breakfast, but again we were disappointed. Our breakfast was served with meat substitutes instead of bacon and sausages and whilst we understand the reasons behind this, we had no prior knowledge of this and feel that the owners should have let guests know before the booking was made.

Generally, the actual owners of the hotel, who we met later on in our stay, were friendly and welcoming and the hotel is very easy to find, with a central location that is good for shows at the Manchester Academy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marcainley
verdene, Owner at Verdene Hotel B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

We would like to thank the reviewer for taking the time to write a review as we appreciate and value all constructive feedback and comments to improve things. We are baffled, however, in the motivation of writing a review after 9 months and we are disappointed that the reviewer did not feel able to bring the concerns during their stay. Indeed, it is a shame that the reviewer couldn’t share the issues with us at check-out time. This not only provides an opportunity to address any issues raised, but at least enables us to apologise in person.

First of all we are sorry that the guest did not enjoy their stay – as our aim is to ensure that guest are happy and do whatever we reasonably can to make their stay comfortable. Clearly, with this review, we did not meet that aspiration and neither did we meet the reviewer’s expectations.

Having had numerous positive feedback, we were very disappointed to find a ‘terrible’ rating Although we respect the reviewer’s right to rate us ‘terrible’, we are inclined to disagree with this conclusion and refer to the collective body of other reviewers who feel that we are not ‘terrible’ and the testament of that also lies in the Verdene being a welcoming place for around 50 years.

The reviewer essentially makes the following criticisms & positive comments:
1) "Unimpressed with the young woman’s command of English"
The young lady is a European law graduate who is very capable of speaking English albeit with an accent. I am surprised that this was somehow a precursor to their ‘terrible’ experience
2) "Unimpressed with the general décor of the place & Door closures to room/bathroom"
We don’t purport to be anything other than a simple B&B: conveniently located; genuinely friendly; clean and comfortable accommodation with a filling breakfast. While we are well aware that the decoration needs updating, it does not detract from the fundamentals of what we are trying to deliver. A stiff door opening due to a brand new carpet/heavy underlay surely cannot contribute to making the stay uncomfortable
3) "Skylight window bird splat"
Windows are cleaned regularly; unfortunately this can happen anytime, and we can only know of this between cleans, if it is pointed out at the time.
4) "Extremely cold room in May"
We cannot recall the temp in May but the central heating goes off at around 11pm and then guests have electric radiators in the rooms to use as they wish.
5) "Area of B&B"
It is rather unkind to imply negativity on the area. We are on the doorstep of the University of Manchester, which is one of the top Universities in the UK (currently around 60,000 students) and aiming to be amongst the top 25 universities in the world. To achieve and attract that calibre & number of students, is going to be somewhat unachievable if the location is as the reviewer implies.
In addition, we are 2 minutes’ walk from the curry mile – a prime destination for visitors to Manchester. These restaurants and businesses would not survive if the location was not good or without the thousands of people that frequent the place every day. Just come for a stroll on an evening on the Curry mile to see just how lively the area is.
6) "Breakfast"
We state on line that we provide a cooked vegetarian breakfast along with a selection of cereals and toast. This is what we serve and we are sorry the reviewer felt it wasn’t explained. Again, had the guests queried it at the time, it could have been easily explained.
7) "we were also not fully convinced that it was the only room available"
We were actually full that Saturday - with some guests competing in the European Taekwondo championship! So, the reviewer unfortunately makes incorrect assumptions. Weekends are very busy and therefore if the reviewer was unaware of the presence of other guests, then this is a compliment to our other guests as well as perhaps the location of the room.

Positive comments made by the reviewer
1) owner welcoming & friendly
2) Modern bathroom
3) B&B easy to find
4) Central location for the Academy

We are grateful for these kind comments of the reviewer. Given these positives, we fail to understand how the conclusion reached was ‘terrible’. We hope our response goes some way to redress the review.
As recent owners, we have been constantly working to improve the place, all new showers in rooms; new flat screen TVs; replacing bedding, beds and mattresses as required and now free wifi access in every room. This takes resources and time - and as the saying goes: “Rome wasn’t built in a day”. Changing everything cannot be done in a short time – but our motivation is there to do so.
It is clear from our website that it is a Victorian terraced property – and thus we cannot present every room to be of equal size – especially when all rooms have en-suite facilities.
We also appreciate that some guests expect to find a ‘house’ offering hotel facilities – but this is unfortunately beyond our capacity.
Having reflected on the review, we feel we offer a superior value to our guests within the means we have at our disposal - that is not as the ‘terrible’ rating might suggest. A testimony of our belief lies in the fact that we have many returning guests who have been staying with us during our tenure, as well those who have been coming for more than 20 years - all with positive comments on the Verdene.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'm truly happy with my stay at Verdene. Great location to the city and also to Manchester United football ground. Was here on the 20ish of November 2012. 3 nights of stay here.

Near the b&b, there's the famous Curry Mile. All kind of great food can be found here. Spicy food, not so spicy food.. u name it !

I'm lucky to meet the owner of the b&b. Lovely couple who are passionate on running the b&b. And got to meet the lovely their lovely children too.

Breakfast are served promptly, towels are given. Wifi is great too.

If i'm back in Manchester, I will definitely come back to Verdene !!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank joe_flightdelayed
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I'm really happy with our stay! I stayed 18th - 21st October. The room was small but I knew this before going as it wasn't going to be huge it wasnt a tower building I saw in the picture. It was a mid terraced house! It had a great shower! (Room 8). Bus stops at the door step With a lovely park. Great pub up the street, fantastic location to the museum and university's, five minutes on the bus to Piccadilly. Service was five star. They couldn't help enough. Explained on arrival that the kitchen was being renovated so we got breakfast I our room. This consisted of tea, toast, jams, butters, fresh milk and orange juice. Selection or cereal. There was loads of tea bags, coffee sugar n milk supplied in room. Also a heater incase you wanted a it more heat. Staff excellent! Replaced towels every day! Made bed also.... Hint for anyone going to use the bus! Ticket from airport to ratholme is £2.90. Day pass on all stage coach buses is £3.90. If u are going to use the bus for more than two days there is a ticket call the mega rider it's £6.00 and this does a weeks travel on any stagecoach bus, it will take u anywhere in greater manchester! Really beneficial.... Down side to the verdene which to me was nothing cause I got a fantastic sleep every night I was there and the room and bed were clean and comfy. It needs updating. It's a homely lived in home and just needs a bit of fixing up! I am not complain, as I would go back for another good nights sleep tonight if I could! :D

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The B&B is conveniently located – very easy access from/to the airport and city centre. If you’re a good walker, it will take you about 25 minutes to get to the city centre. The owner is extremely friendly and helpful. OK, but I don’t pay £40 a night for the smile of the owner. The price is not extremely high but I would expect something more than the very basis furniture and DIY refurbishment. The shower was changed (noticeably not by a specialist), while the rest of the bathroom stayed untouched with the wallpaper peeling off, paint splashed here and there and bathroom fittings remembering better days. It is like that in the entire place – door covered with a few layers of paint, old carpets on the corridors. Everything was clean but this not the quality I expect to find in a place I pay for. I really don’t understand the high rank on the Manchester B&B list.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business