“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #48 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many, many times over the past few years. It has always had the edge on others I've tried in Manchester city centre, and although not the cheapest it is certainly worth that little bit extra.

Rooms are spacious, clean, large and quiet. While it's often easy to hear noise from adjoining rooms in some hotels, this one doesn't suffer from the problem - a good night's sleep is assured. The cleanliness is also worthy of comment. The last thing I want in a hotel is grubby bed linen, bathrooms or cups/glasses. Everything here is spick 'n' span!

One recent change that has made life much easier for those of us here on business is the move to full Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. This is a reliable and fast connection and being free is an added bonus!

Finally, the service is always friendly and efficient. Whether at the reception desk or waiting-on in the restaurant, all members of staff are courteous and pleasant - and if something does need to be looked into they're quick to do so.

All round a very good hotel that I could happily recommend to others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front get a little more road noise than those on the back... but the ones on the back g...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Terry and Denise,

As always its a delight to have you back with us and we appreciate your kind comments and continued loyalty.

I'm so pleased that you made mention of the teams interaction with guests as it is always something that marks out a great hotel from a good one.

It goes without saying that we look forward, as always, to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Took my mum for a spa 2night stay as part of her Christmas present, we arrived at the hotel around 2pm knowing that checking in wasn't until 3pm,we was planning to have a drink in the bar but the lovely lady on reception said that are room was ready, there was slight mixup regarding an extra night that I'd had booked, but the lady on reception ( sorry I didn't take note of your name) said she would get it resolved and ring us.
No sooner had we entered the room when Neil the manager rang me the mixup was sorted all good!
I have stayed here before so knew the rooms are clean,spacious and modern and well equipped I.e iron and ironing board,full size hair dryer ,security safe and fridge.
Treatments where booked for 4pm , thank you to the girls who did are facial and massage we left being chilled and relaxed.
I had booked the 3 course evening meal for 8pm which was part of the package, I phoned up a week before as suggested when I booked the spa deal.
We where seated near the window the ambience was just right, nice surrounding and low lighting but not to dark, we where serve by two lovely waitress who explained the menu package, we could have the 3 course meal from a separate menu (around 5 items for each course to choose from)are choose 2 courses from the main menu that added up to £20,we went for the 3 course,(we was rather hungry)
We choose the fish cake to start I say fish cake as there was only one on a very large plate with some mayo it really did look lost! Me and my mum looked at each other and burst out laughing!
There is noway that I would pay £7.50 for one fish cake where it is priced on your main menu I really think you need to look into this. Second course arrived and I can honestly say Delicious we both enjoyed and dessert was yummy,but please sort out that fish cake out haha.
After dinner we went to the bar, found it a little chilly as the air con was on, so I asked the bar man if he could possibly turn it off, he said he would but really didn't feel a difference so got another drink and took them to our room.
After a good nights sleep we headed down to breakfast, can't fault anything superb everything you need!
After our extra night we then checked out, slight mixup again but Neil the manager was on hand and sorted,we just laughed it off.
So in all had a great two night stay but sort that fish cake out and less air con and more heat in the bar area please for my return on the 19th February.

Room Tip: Free bus service that run from Piccadilly station ( next to the hotel)that can drop you off around t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Ellen,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and of course we will do all that we can to ensure your next stay with us is even more special.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

You really expect more when you book the executive room. The room itself was nice but as usual you cannot control the room heating. The breakfast choice was the most limited I have had in years. I mean you would not know they did scrambled eggs has they hid it and you have to ask for it. Theres not the usual items like hash browns or a good selection of fruits or porridges. For a spa hotel there is no swimming pool and services they offer in the spa is not advertised at all. Its getting a average from me as my room was clean and modern, its a ten minute walk to the city centre. but that's all. I have stayed at cheaper hotels with a far higher quality. NOTE IF YOU ARE DRIVING, YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE CITY ONE WAY SYSTEM JUST TO PARK AROUND THE BACK OF THE HOTEL. THATS RIDICULOUS.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear fuzz6,

I can see by your other reviews that you are very particular with your ratings and whilst that is very important to us I know that it is all about the items that you raise and then what we do to ensure that we deliver a great stay consistently for all of our guests based on your feedback.

We do have an exceptional breakfast offering renowned within the industry so I will look into why it wasn't as pristine as normal as it is one of Macdonald Hotels and Resorts strengths alongside the quality of our Bedrooms and service standards. With your drive into the hotel unfortunately like all other businesses in the City the Manchester road system is something that is out of our remit to control however if you go onto our website you will find a bespoke Postcode that brings you directly into our private car park just 10 yards from the hotel as you will know.

Many thanks for your kind feedback and of course if ever you are planning to visit us again please let me know personally so that we can look after you to your satisfaction on that occasion.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I come to this hotel mainly for the spa facilities, I'm turning 21 next week and thought it would be a nice thing to do with my best friend. I had never been to a MacDonald hotel before but a friend of mine told me she goes quite often just for the treatments so I thought id give it a go, I knew she couldn't recommend anywhere i would dislike because just like me, she is a bit of a snob! HA! So when we got to the hotel we were greeted by Ciara at the reception desk, she was such a nice lady! very chatty and happy and made us feel really welcome at the hotel. She told us someone could bring our luggage to the room so off we went up to our suite. Our room was panoramic so was right at the end of the corridor in the hotel, when we got in there was a plate on the side with Turkish delights and a message saying happy 21st birthday out of chocolate! It was such a nice gesture! I love stuff like that! The windows were absolutely outrageous! they were huge! me and my friend were really excited! We was only on the 2nd floor so we was right on level with the train platform. i must admit i was quite disappointed when I could see all the people on the platform outside my window but watching the trains pass so close was really rather fun! Our bed was much bigger than a king and was really comfy. We had a full stocked mini bar, tea coffee making area, hair-dryer, GHD straighteners bottled water and ice bucket and robes and slippers as well. We had a really nice larger bathroom with oversized bath tub & a separate shower which could of fit about 6 people in at once! It was massive. On the side we had luxury toiletries shampoo/conditioner shower gel body lotion etc. The room was perfect for us we loved it. We went for spa treatments, each chose a facial and that was lovely! so relaxing! and the treatment rooms were really pretty to look at with buddhas on the walls and tea light lanterns in the walkway. We then went to use the other facilities on offer. 2 different sorts of sauna, steam room, ice room, power shower and some sort of hot rock seats - we both found it really enjoyable. When we went for dinner we requested private booth which we was granted. The meal was really tasty, all 3 courses! Buffet breakfast was nice too, lots to choose from. Overall we had a lovely time, our only disappointment was checking out in the morning! we plan to return for my friends birthday in March and will be staying a little longer this time as we wasn't ready to go home that early!

Room Tip: id go for the panoramic room, just for a more special stay it's really pretty & exciting!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Laura,

Many thanks for all your kind words they are appreciated and of course I will pass on your comments to Ciara and the rest of the team for delivering a great all round stay.

Kind regards and of course we look forward to your return sometime soon be it for Spa or an overnight stay.

Thingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed here for a 2 night break with my husband as we thought it looked an ideal base for a spot of shopping in Manchester. The car park was right next to the hotel and although pricey was very safe and convenient. Upon arrival we were checked in very quickly by a lovely chatty receptionist who gave us a map and brief overview of the local area. The room was a "City View" on the 8th floor and was clean and tidy. The first thing that struck me was the huge window overlooking the city giving the room a fabulous outlook. The room was very spacious and the bed was huge. Although very pleasant I felt the décor could do with a little more oomph such as a feature wall as it did feel a little sparse and uninspiring. The bathroom was spacious with a comfortable tub and large walk in shower. There were plenty of towels and nice toiletries. The tea tray included all the tea and coffee we needed and a couple of shortbread biscuits. The tv was a modern flat screen but it did seem a little small considering the distance from the bed.

The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast which was excellent. The restaurant was set up as a buffet with a full range of everything you could hope for. We certainly started the day with full tummies and didn't need anything else until our evening meal. The service at breakfast was friendly and efficient.

The hotel spa was very nice but I felt it needed a little attention. The tv screens on the gym equipment were touch screen and inputting required a lot of force... not easy with my little fingers. There appeared to only be one channel working also. The spa itself had a noticeably "dank" smell a bit like a damp towel and didn't really feel appealing. This was particularly noticeable in the "ice room". The "sensory" shower has several settings but it appeared to be broken and only one setting worked. While I don't mind having a standard shower I would prefer not to be excited by the promise of a scent shower to be let down after several minutes stood in a damp swimsuit poking broken buttons. The spa also felt very isolated and I must admit I felt a little vulnerable on my own.

To sum up this hotel I would say it was a very nice place to stay for a couple of nights. It was clean, comfortable and welcoming. The food was lovely and the staff very friendly. I would return again but would probably not use the spa.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Pauly,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and we take on board all of your views so that we ever improve. Like our food and rooms offering normally we receive really positive feedback so I will look into why your were a little disappointed and ensure we deliver at the standard both you and I expect.

All the very best and please let me know when next you are planning to stay so that we can look to exceed your expectations on that occasion.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a good value hotel very conveniently located next to Piccadilly station. The rooms are large and spacious but let down by poor lighting. Would like to see more table lamps. Staff were friendly and mostly efficient apart from the guy at the restaurant reception. We stood waiting for some time whilst he tried to fix an IT issue. No greeting, no explanation, no apology. He just left us stood there. Very poor! Otherwise not a bad hotel for the money

• Stayed January 2014
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Holidaylover,

Thanks for taking the time to feedback details of your experience and whilst I am really pleased that you enjoyed yourself I can see a couple of opportunities to improve on what we do as we only want every guests experience to be extra special and we may not have achieved this time round.

Our challenge next time is to get a five star review from you having delivered in all areas of our offering.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I went to stay at the Macdonald hotel in Manchester for a birthday weekend treat for my wife.
From the minute we arrived to the minute we left the staff and level of service was excellent.
We stayed in a Panoramic Suite which is the best hotel room I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in hotels all over the world with my line of work.
The food was cooked to perfection and the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere.
We had spa treatments booked for the Sunday which I would highly recommend and left us both feeling truly relaxed as we drove home.
To sum up it was a great hotel, great staff and excellent facilities.

Room Tip: Panoramic Rooms have great views of the city.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt C
Dear Matt,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that you test drove all of our services and completely enjoyed the experience.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.