“Great spacious room some elements lets this hotel down”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #47 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Great spacious room some elements lets this hotel down”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We decided to stay here as it was close to the train station, and easy to walk to. We stayed for one night and booked the panoramic view room. We checked in no problem, the staff were friendly and very good. The reception area was clean and very light and the bar area was lovely, so first impression great. We got in to our room and wow the view was fab of the city and a huge room very spacious, and a big bathroom.
My main gripe within the room that there wasn't a bottle of water provided, there was tea and coffee and one packet of shortbread biscuits but felt the presentation was poor, and it was all tucked away by the bathroom door.
Welcome pack was ok nothing special.
The bed was really comfortable to sleep in had a great night sleep.

However we found a huge difference in the evening staff and breakfast staff. The evening staff who were on the bar weren't very chatty didn't seem to be bothered about customer service and didn't listen. As I asked for a drink with a little bit of ice, I had a full glass of ice. Customer service was shocking and not what I expected.
Moving on to the morning staff in the breakfast room, they were fantastic helpful, up bead and really friendly. But the breakfast was a let down, well it was 09.45am when we went down. The coffee toast fruit and and the croissants nice selection and enough choice.
We decided on a cooked breakfast, asked for a poached egg rather than a fried egg, they young guy who served as was really annoyed that was asked him did it but dragged his feet and didn't seem to care. Don't these big chains teach people how to interact with the public, a bit of personality and a smile wouldn't go a miss. He didn't even ask how many I wanted. Then the breakfast its self awful dry bacon, poached egg wasn't great dry black pudding!!

Overall our stay was pleasant enough lovely room great sleep, but as I mentioned staff and customer service not great. So if you want great customer service and a bit of personality don't bother, but if its just a good night sleep your after then spot on!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear Sian,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and I can see lots of opportunity for our team to deliver a great experience based on your feedback.

Please be assured that we will use what you have told us so that we get back to our usual standards.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is very convenient for Manchester Piccadilly station and the room was lovely. Unfortunately when you start to dig a bit deeper it gets a bit disappointing. We paid top price for our room but when we visited the spa it was really busy and the girl on reception ushered us about like cattle. We felt more stressed when we came out than when we went in. After a night at the theatre we got back at 10.30pm and went to the bar for a cappuccino and brandy but they turn the coffee machine off at 10.00pm. Nobody cared a jot. We thought about walking over to the railway station and buying a coffee there. Very poor customer service. We like to feel like valued customers when we stay in hotels not like an inconvenience.

Room Tip: Look for a bargain because it's not worth paying full price.
Dear Jane,

I agree completely if we managed to disappoint you then we should do all that we can to explain why or improve or do both.

With the caveat that our Spa can get very busy at peaks times however we should always look to explain this scenario without diluting too much the expectations of our guests and in general our spa team achieve this. With the coffee machine going off at 10pm that isn't how we should be delivering our coffee servcie at night and it is straightforword for me to address the situation.

With both matters I'd be delighted if you made contact so I can look into these items some more. I have sent a message separately with a few questions so I can investigate and go back to you with little delay.

Thank you once again for your feedback it helps us to improve on what we do as we want to be exactly what you expected of us when booking.

Holyhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and from check in to check out was amazing. Superb food/breakfast every time, all staff so very helpful and friendly at all times. Room very spacious and clean, bathroom lovely too. We were here to do Christmas shopping and to enjoy the Christmas market and this location was ideal for us. We will be coming here again next year but hopefully for a bit longer.

Dear Becky,

So pleased that we added to your stay in Manchester and that you made the most of The Xmas Markets.

Thanks also for having us in mind for next year and of course I'd be delighted personally to help with your arrangements nearer to the date of that stay.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have traveled some in UK and usually the hotels are quite bad and overpriced. I got this hotel recomended from my customer and I was surpriced about the high quality. I had a room at the end of the coridor. There was windows on two walls facing the city.Increadably ligth.The room was very big and the air condition really worked well (I need to have a cold room). Brekfast vas good. 10 minutes walk to the pub street we was going to. I was charged 147 punds + brekfast.

Room Tip: Try getting a room at the end of the corridor - nice view - as high as possible
Dear Sigurdovrebo,

Thanks for such a positive review and so pleased that your time was thoroughly enjoyed.

Please thank also the guest who recommended us. We look forward to seeing you both back here soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed here 28th November in an Executive room on Business. The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly. Then it all went downhill - the room was very spacious with minibar and leather chairs. But on arrival in the room, it was very dusty a good week of dirty dust (see other reviews stating the same) around the bed, desks and table light areas. I phoned reception and this was then cleaned properly. The tv in the Executive room (over £160 without breakfast) was smaller than what I had in the Lake District in a carvan! There was no HD, and the television was extremely small from the bed -you could hardly see it and had to move to a closer chair - so dont waste your money! A good view of Manchester from the room. I was working on a complicated document at night and decided for a break to use the bar. There was a large screen showing American football (to whom I have no idea - nobody was watching it), and CONSTANT Christmas music - everything from Slade to songs I would never want to hear again. I was there two hours and it never changed I dont mind the odd one or two nearer Christmas but ALL NIGHT CONSTANTLY on 28th November??, it was so distracting I went back to my room. There was no Xmas parties in so I have no idea why, I complained and they shrugged their shoulders and said its the time of year. I had a bottle of beer from the room minibar and the plastic opener would not open it in the fridge so I called room service - they said they never work and customers were always complaining and he opened it for me intead - again very polite staff
The following morning whilst having breakfast, the Christmas music was still on quite loud in the Breakfast room too!! My breakfast (nearly £20 with smoked salmon an extra £2.50) was removed and the table cleared within two minutes of me filling a glass with fruti juice - the waitress apologised and had to bring back new coffee etc. I spent at least 10 minutes looking for a newspaper in this 4 star hotel in the morning, At 845 am I could not find one anywhere neither could the staff. So no, I would not stay here again unless I was Father Christmas - I am afraid there are far better for the price in Manchester with the 4 star amenties that I expect and have received at many other similar hotels

Room Tip: Dont book Executive it is not worth the price!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Gary,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and of course we shall look to learn and improve on what we do based on your observations.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights and two day conference in November 2013. Excellent throughout. We were all suprised by the size of the rooms and bathrooms were of an excellent size and quality. The whole hotel was spotless, and the staff were very friendly and always ready to help. From arranging through to billing no problems what so ever! highly recomend for a business event.

Dear Naurin,

What a lovely review thank you. It goes without saying that we really appreciate your kind words and hope to look after you again when visiting be it business or pleasure.

UK
Reviewed November 28, 2013

recently stayed here for three nights while visiting Manchester.

the hotel is a short walk from Piccadilly Station, and around 15/20 minutes walk to Manchester centre, or a short taxi ride away.

the rooms are large, comfortable and clean.

staff were all friendly and helpful, particularly the bar staff.

would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Emma,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that we managed to look after you to your complete satisfaction. You're right in that our location is excellent for all things Manchester and we'd be delighted to see you back here soon.