“Good overall experience, caters for bicycles!”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Arrived at the hotel with bike, and found on arrival that there is a specific secure place in the car park to lock it up. Very impressed. Staff friendly and helpful. Restaurant has limited options but quality was very good and reasonable choice of good wines. Liked the fact that there was an iron in the room without having to ask for it, made things easier for the meeting I had next day. A bit old-fashioned decor, but well-kept, clean, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Jonnyboy5,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that we managed to deliver a great stay for you.

We look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,226)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We arrived at 6pm on Friday 23rd August. Check in was slow.

It just seemed to take a while for the checkin to go through. I have to say Emma was a star really friendly and helpfull.

We had room 726 a city view room. The room is large with massive bathroom with full bath and double size Power Shower. We were a little worried about the road in front of the hotel, but the hotel is well soundproofed and we did not hear a thing!
The room was clean, but the glass surfaces just really seemed to attract dust, that did not seem to get cleaned away towards the end of our stay.

The TV in the rooms while flat screen are tiny. It would seem that the TV needed retuning as well, as lots of channels could not be displayed, propably since the Digital switchover.

The Hotel lifts are painfully slow, with one only being able to carry 6 people and will always stop at floor 4 for some reason.

The hotel is close to Piccadilly Rail station.

We did not use the breakfast room, so are unable to comment on that, but the station has retail outlets serving breakfast things.

We would use this hotel again, as long as the room rate was reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Gwallis,

many thanks for taking the time to review us and for where you saw opportunity to improve please be assured that we are already onto matters so that we deliver a great stay for all guests.

I would recommend trying our breakfast as it is that good.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Visited here a couple of years ago and was in the area for business so though I would come back - Kind of wish I never as standards seem to have slipped.

Main gripe was with the meal - I ordered fish & chips which cost £15 - Actually thought this was quite excessive but was shocked when my plate arrived to find a tiny but of fish served with 10 chips. Food was good but I genuinely could have had another meal, it barely scratched the surface.

Over and above this the rooms need a deep clean and touched up as well. Quite a lot of dust in the room as well as stains on the carpets & bed throw.

Really disappointed and probably won't return again.

Dear Jamie,

Many thanks for your kind review and I see from your other reviews that we sit in the middle of them as per your opinion. Normally the view that our portions are too big is what I receive so I'll take your view forward to see what we can do to improve matters although I was pleased to read that the food was good as is what we expect as a norm due to our food sourcing activities and quality of service.

I've looked through our Daily Guest Feedback Report and can't find anything that indicates disappointment and feedback as per your issues. I say this because if a guest feels we need to do something whilst staying then our team are always advised to resolve it at source. With yours we can't do much as it is after the event and doesn't really tally with our level of delivery.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I fly into Manchester at least once a month for business and nearly always stay at a Premier Inn close to the Arndale Centre, but on this occasion, because of the Man Utd / Chelsea game, the rate was ridiculous and I looked elsewhere. I was aware of the Macdonald Hotel before hand and I was very surprised to find a room rate of just £69, fantastic this could be my Hotel of choice from now on I thought. Check In was very pleasant and the rooms were way above average in both size and quality. The location is great, with the railway station just a stones throw away and the City Centre Shops just a few minutes further walk, this Hotel is truly a great find. After the Match I went to the bar which is where it all began to unravel, the bar was grubby, understaffed and so so expensive, my room rate was not looking so hot now. It got worse when I went down for Breakfast, £19.50 for a pretty mediocre buffet, that has to be without doubt the most expensive fry up I have ever had in my life.
In short I felt rather conned, the promise of a reasonably priced stay was ruined by this 'claw back' policy of the Hotel to offset a low room rate and for this reason my employees and I will not return to this Hotel for future business trips.

Dear Eaglecreek,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and I agree our first impressions are always good. To be fair the option to book breakfast prior and upon arrival was available and although I can't advise on other Hotel Company policies on pricing and food provenance our prices for food and beverage are extremely competitive within the city centre and we do offer a breakfast that is renowned as one of the very best. Please take a look at our other reviews.

I'd be delighted to see you back here soon as we want to get it right for you throughout your stay and of course we take on board all feedback that helps us to improve but I'm reassured that we offer value for money and that you've probably missed a number of opportunities to purchase breakfast and so you may be being a little bit unfair.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here again for the second time last Saturday night. Again the check in staff were really pleasant and helpful. The bar area is always clean and inviting and again the bar staff (a young lady) was very cheerful and helpful. The rooms have panoramic windows and the rooms are very spacious and clean. The bed was really comfy and the air conditioning worked a treat. The breakfast was self service and the lady who saw us to our table was brilliant! Smiles and asked how we were! The food was excellent, hot and asked if we wanted more toast. Would I Stay again? Yes, for sure! THANKS!!

Room Tip: Top floor in a quiet location. I stayed in 721.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear curerich01,

Many thanks for your ongoing loyalty and kind remarks they are appreciated and spur the team on to ever greater performances.

Thank you once again and of course we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here on business. The hotel is in a great location and was very busy.

The rooms are great. Huge, airy and all nicely decorated. I was at the front of the hotel and this had a huge full length of the room window, it is beside a busy road but there was no noise at all. Obviously soundproof glass.

We ate in the bar... The member of staff was very chatty and pleasant, but very under staffed. 2 hours for our meal! It was great food when it eventually arrived.

The same staffing issues in breakfast. Too busy and it was chaotic. We had to ask for .... A spoon, toast,, butter, tea,, a cup , etc etc. Also the price... Mine was included in my rate but if not it is £25 .

My overall stay was very good but the meal times were not organised. And my biggest shock was £11.50 for a glass of white wine! Dearest I've ever had..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear glitterdiva,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and I'm sorry that your experience with us was not to our usual standard. Please be assured that I will personally look into matters and ensure that we get back onto delivering great service with little or no delay.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

very nice and helpful staff,we thought our room was very nice + clean also a very spacious room.
if you are looking for a nice 4 star hotel in manchester within a 10 minute walk to the city centre
this hotel is perfect,the overnight parking is slightly expensive at £17.50 from the hotel which is
fenced off,however i parked across the road for £6 and my car was fine !! if you are arriving by
train the piccadilly station is on the doorstep of the hotel.

Dear Mark,

Thanks so much for your kind review and so pleased that you enjoyed the game and your time in the hotel.

We look forward to your return sometime soon.