“Great place to stay and very central to Manchester city centre”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #49 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel I along with my daughter have just stayed at the MacDonald for 2 nights. The room was roomy, comfortable beds and extremely clean. The bathroom boasted both a deep bath and separate shower. The aircon was a treat too. It is so close to the railway station and a stones throw to the city centre. There is a free shuttle bus into town at the railway station so another positive if you want to venture further into town. I booked this hotel through the Laterooms.com website. I was unaware until I paid at check out in the hotel by credit card that I had incurred a further £3.00. This was not advised at the time of booking. The receptionist manager at the hotel checked my paperwork and agreed that this was not advised but she still charged me the additional fee so watch out!! Not great customer service to be honest.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank supermum26
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Supermum,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind comments. Apologies if you weren't aware of the credit card charge but it is quite normal with these types of transactions.

Kind regards and please let me know next time when you are planning to visit us.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

At first glance this hotel looks like a typical commercial travellers' hotel. It has the façade of an office building, with a narrow reception area to match. But our 8th-floor city-view room was great. Huge panoramic window. Great AC. The bathroom had a large soaker tub and separate shower with plenty of counter space. The room itself had lots of room for a couple. The location close to the station is very convenient (tip: exit the station at Fairfield Rd via the two escalators. If you exit at a ground level exit you'll wind up walking around the full exterior of the station). Having the audio to the TV wired into the bathroom was great. Breakfast buffet was good.

Oddly, we had trouble getting two sets of towels during our one-week stay. Considering that we booked a room for two people and registered two people with two keys, that was very strange. Every day I had to find the maid and request more towels--her English wasn't good enough to make this an easy transaction and one day I returned too late and my husband and I had to share the bath towel! (We were already undressed and didn't want the privacy disruption of calling the front desk.) Made me think this hotel is mainly for single business people and that couples are not expected. And pillowcases were covered with moth holes. But these were small problems and we would stay here again for the superior room fittings, breakfast and great air conditioning.

Room Tip: Eighth-floor (top floor) city-view rooms are quiet with great light.
2  Thank TorontoLal
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear TorontoLal,

First of all I hope your journey home went well. Thank you for your kind comments and the fact that you highlighted that generally you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will speak with our housekeeper as per the items that you've seen opportunity for us to improve upon. With the towels a spare set is usually provided in the room however given your length of stay I would say that we should have been more observant from your feedback on day one and then looked to ensure your requests were being met each day before you found the need to speak with us. That's what great service is about and our mission is to achieve this with every guest so I'm sorry about that.

Many thanks once again and of course we'd be delighted to see you back here soon. Keep in touch.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Really great experience, amazing views from our room on the top floor, easy access to the city centre, canal street and the village in particular are only round the corner. Well stocked bar and staff couldn't be more helpful. Amazing spa with plenty of options (ice room was broken though). Only complaint is under sixteens are not allowed access to either the spa or the gym which was not mentioned on their website, which seems a tad misleading. However overall a lovely hotel with very chic rooms!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear David,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and of course we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I had a fabulous time at this hotel. Perfectly located behind Piccadilly station so not far to walk with luggage. Turned up at 1.30pm and even though check-in is 3 they simply checked us in straight away no problems. We booked a summer offer and for the price couldn't believe what we got - enormous top floor city view room with vast bathroom (bath and shower plus sink, toilet etc.), sofas and table, dressing table, wardrobe...everything we could ask for. Complimentary bottle of wine waiting on ice. Couldn't hear any traffic noise so very peaceful. Great bed, clean sheets etc. Staff very friendly. Really nice that spa facilities were complimentary too so enjoyed the thermal suite first afternoon. £10 credit for booking direct with hotel so enjoyed a round of drinks before heading out for dinner. Only downside for us was the next morning when we went down for breakfast at around 10am - the hotel later told us they had an unexpected group booking of 140 people which meant it was chaos at the restaurant as most people came down at the same time. People were sitting on the floor waiting at least 20 minutes, often longer, to be seated for breakfast. When we went through there were free tables everywhere but the staff couldn't seem to clear them quick enough ready for new guests. Food was decent but overshadowed by crying babies and disgruntled couples. Staff should have done more to explain the situation to everyone as no-one was kept informed of why things were the way they were. Aside from this though had a very relaxing and comfortable stay and will definitely book again in the future!

Room Tip: We had a city view room on the 8th floor - great view, good temperature and quiet as high away from...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire A
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Claire,

Many thanks for your very kind review it is appreciated. As you'll see by my other replies I'll hold my hands up every time if we get matters wrong or if our delivery is anything less than perfect. The problem with Breakfast last Sunday was due to all of our guests coming down at basically the same time. Like every hotel we try our best to let guests know of the pinch points at breakfast and on a few occasions this does happen.

Given that the rest of your feedback is excellent I'm especially disappointed but can promise like always that we'll learn and look to improve instantly so that we get from you a 5 star rating upon your return.

Please let me know personally when you will be coming back to us so I can make sure on that occasion that we exceed your expectations.

Kind regards

The Macdonald Hotel and Spa Manchester

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 1 night whilst attending a concert at the emirates stadium. Hotel in great location for city centre and stadium. Rooms are a good size and to the standard you expect for a MacDonald.

We left our car in a public car park directly across from the hotel (part of the train station). £8.00 for 24hours. Word of warning the car park entrance is before you reach hotel on a one way system and if you miss it, it's a bit of pain to get back onto. Turn into just after train station on your left

Would defiantly use the hotel again whilst staying in city centre.

We departed pretty early, so didn't have a chance to sample breakfast unfortunately.

If you are looking for a central hotel of a good standard then this is this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Chris-Lesley

Dear Chris & Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. So pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be returning sometime soon.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past few weeks on a work trip, & shall stay there again in the coming months. Overall the hotel was fine. I only spent time sleeping & having breakfast so sadly haven't had the chance to try the spa facilities. Check-in on the first occasion was a bit slow, but depends when you arrive. Rooms are spacious & clean. Bed was very comfortable, although the pillows on my first stay were far too high. I was too tired in the middle of the night to ask for smaller ones. On the 2nd stay they were fine. The TV is on the opposite side of the room to the bed, & far too small for the size of room. The audio of the TV gets played in the bathroom too, but there is no screen. It would be lovely to have a TV in there too, so you could watch whilst relaxing in the bath- it is a spa hotel after all!

I searched the guide in the room to find a WIFI code, but found no such code or instructions on how to access the internet. I checked with reception to be told there is a plug under the TV. This might be obvious to some, but if this had been written in the hotel guide, I wouldn't have had to bother reception to find out.

Lifts were slow at busy times. Bar prices were rather steep & to get to the toilets from the bar, its 5 flights of stairs up, then through another room. Very odd & not convenient at all. A group of us arrived back at the hotel early hours of fri morning- around 2am. There was a man behind the bar, but told us he'd closed 10mins prior & the only option was to order room service. We asked if we could give him the order, so they could be delivered by the time we got upstairs, but he said no, & we'd have to ring from our room, which we did. They only have wine or beer on the room service list & the whole incident put a dampener on our stay.

Breakfast was £15 if pre-booked or £19 if you just arrive on the day. Although it was all fresh, & tasty, I certainly didn't eat £15 worth of food! The line to get in was terribly busy around 08:30am. You can pay a surcharge for kippers, eggs benedict etc but at the cost charged for rooms & breakfast, these options should be available anyway, without the surcharge. To get to breakfast, its another few flights of stairs. I tried using the lift as I was carrying a suitcase, but I think you need staff to access that lift. I wish reception had told me that breakfast was up several flights of stairs, because I would have left my suitcase with them.

On both occasions, there were no teaspoons on the table at breakfast & no way of picking up the sugar cubes. Not sure if I needed to ask for a teaspoon or I'm supposed to collected them somewhere else? The black pudding had a really odd taste. I don't know if its the cooking oil used, but I've never tasted one like that before. Not the most extensive breakfast selection I've seen, but certainly adequate.

I'd stay there again because the rooms & beds were fine. Just a few niggles that didn't make the stay perfect.

1  Thank dalton1skiing
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Dalton,

Many thanks for your kind review. Our mission is to exceed expectations with every guest so we take on board your feedback and we'll work with it.

Many thanks again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good points
1. Very central and close to Piccadilily railway station.
2. Large airconditioned rooms
3. Friendly, helpful staff

Bad points
1.Noisy if you have a room at the southern end which is very near to a dual carriageway.
2. Hotel car park is £17.50 for overnight stay. Information on how you exit the car park will be helpful - it is OK after you check in because you get a code but what do you do when you first arrive before checking in?. The button at the gate was not answered for quite some time.
3. The WiFi in the room costs £10 per 24 hours. The wired internet access is free but you have to borrow a (free) cable from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the North end

Dear MMmd,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. To be fair the hotel is renowned for how quiet it is and has triple glazed windows throughout for extra comfort. As you'll see I've asked you separately for details of your room so I can go up and assess it as its not something that we struggle with usually.

With regard to the car park there is a button adjacent to the exit gate that you simply push to open the gate. I will look at ways of making it even easier for guests to egress our car park.

With WiFi you're right in that it is free if used via the Ethernet however we will be having an even simpler system in place in the next few weeks offering free access to the Internet for all current platforms.

Many thanks once again and I will be in touch soon with regards to your comment on a noisy room if you'd be so kind as to confirm your room details.