“Nice hotel, great rooms”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice hotel with very large standard rooms which makes a change from many other hotels. The staff were friendly and polite and the hotels location right next to the train station is perfect. The centre of manchester is only a short walk away.

1  Thank twistedbarbie
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Barbie,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for letting others know some of the unique aspects of our hotel. It is appreciated and of course great attentive staff is what we are renowned for.

We look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,259)

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed one night with my boyfriend ... I arrived by train he travelled by car ... parking garage close by and it was only a trot round the corner from Picadilly for me.

Our room was well appointed, spacious and clean ... the bed huge and very comfy. The bathroom was awesome ... walk in shower and a lovely oversized deep bath ...both big enough for two!

Staff were friendly and helpful throughout stay.

My only niggle was the poor vegetarian offering ... I would love to have been able to get something simple like an egg ssndwich or hot buttered toast from room service.

thst said, will definitely stay again.

BJ

Dear beejaymanc,

Thanks for your kind review it is appreciated and if there's anything I can add it would be to simply say that the easiest way to get exactly what you want especially if you have a special dietary requirement then it would be to ask a member of staff. Believe me we are used to looking after guests needs specifically so the team are always up for the challenge and so I'm certain you would have been delighted with their response.

Kind regards and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Well done MacDonald Manchester, we attended a show case of their talented young chefs and restaurant host last Tuesday and had a truly fantastic evening. The service and attention to detail from Rebecca, our young host was impeccable. The food created by the two young chefs George and James was fantastic. Perfect scotch eggs, the best lamb I have ever had and an exciting desert of chocolate fondants that oozed chocolate when you put your spoon in with gorgeous coconut ice cream, fab cheese platers, and coffee. The wines chosen by Rebecca were an excellent accompaniment. We will definitely be returning again, the MacDonald Manchester is now the top of our list for eating in the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Judy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and so pleased that you enjoyed this Dinner Night as it was a celebration of our next generation of Chefs, Waiting staff and Managers. A thoroughly excellent evening all round.

And of course we look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night, as we were going to watch Jimmy Carr at the Apollo.

The location was perfect as the Apollo was just up the road. The hotel room was huge, luxurious and I can't fault it at all.

We had tea at the hotel's restaurant, which was about £22 for a steak, but the drinks were extortionate! We were asked if we wanted water for the table, and ended up being charged £5 for it!

It was also a surprise to be charged for the car park!

The breakfast was nice, although very busy.

It was a lovely hotel and I would definitely stay here again, however I would probably eat somewhere else!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Clare,

Thanks so much for your kind review and I hope you enjoyed the show. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We needed a hotel close to Piccadilly Station and the Metrolink; the photograph of the view from our bedroom window shows that we achieved that.

We made the mistake of going out of Piccadilly from the main entrance where turning right on to London Road takes you to the centre of town. You have to turn left for the Macdonald Manchester Hotel and it feels like you are entering bandit territory. Going out of the Fairfield Street exit puts you a lot closer to the hotel, but you still need to cross a wide expanse of road.

The hotel is fairly standard business class with a small spa attached. Our room was fine, the shower was very good, the windows were double glazed and sealed so you have to rely on the AC.

The restaurant was a steakhouse, as you can guess from the photograph of the meat map on the restaurant wall. The food is substantial, well presented, but lacking in scope and subtlety.

The thermal spa was small and disappointing. Admittedly we tried it in the evening, but the sauna and steam room were not exactly warm, and there were no towels available.

Service in the hotel was not as slick as expected. There was a promotion advertising 30 types of fruit Daiquiri but we had a struggle to get even two of them. Even stranger was the disappearance of the batteries from the safe in our room. We put some things in in the morning, but when we came back the safe didn’t work because the batteries had been taken. The contents of the safe were still there, it was just the batteries that had disappeared.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Richard,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for your feedback.

For where we did well in your opinion I can state that that is what we strive always to deliver and for where you saw the chance to improve then please be assured that we are already onto matters.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I brought a friend here for her birthday as we were meeting friends out in Manchester for dinner. I have been before with my husband but she has never visited the Macdonald. She was very surprised at how big it was and how spacious the rooms were.
The bathroom was a lovely size, enough for us both to do our make up together in front of the mirror and had both a shower and a bath. Very comfy beds and the room even had a Bose ipod dock! The breakfast buffet was amazing with such a range of choice. A shame we only booked one night as would have loved to use the on-site facilities. Big thumbs up!

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room option and even that was silent at night, spacious and has lovely decor so...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Harm2804,

What a lovely review thank you as it mentions all of things that we strive daily to achieve although lots of guests know already that our rooms, public areas, superb staff and the quality of our food offering is what sets us apart from others it is always great for the team to read how much a guest enjoyed themselves.

Thank you once again and for letting others know just how much you enjoyed yourself.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

It is my first day staying at this hotel and I'm already looking forward to the end of it.

Examples of slow and poor service:

1. 4 staff members behind the counter and 2 customers including me. I waited for 5 mins to get an answer regarding wifi

2. Waited at the bar for 15 mins and no one came to take my orders. I went up to the bar to ask if I could order food. What I wanted was sold out.

3. Now I'm waiting at the restaurant for a table for one. God knows how long it'd be.

Stay away from this hotel if your time is valuable.

Dear Dor,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and I'm sorry that the team didn't react in the manner you and I expected. I always say with guests in house if they have an issues then simply ask for me and I will come and speak to them immediately and resolve the matter as I agree it doesn't appear to be anything insurmountable just a drop in great service.

Generally as you can see the staff do really well and are attentive and only want to do a great job for guests. Please be assured that the staff on duty have been spoken with and improvement back to standard has already happened. I can only presume that your initial disappointment has now been overcome as I've not received any other concerns from this week as to a lack of interaction and great service within agreeable timescales.

If not then feel free to make contact with me direct and I will investigate further.