“How to find the car park”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #49 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great location to walk into the city or use the central train station. Very comfortable room and pleasant staff. Excellent breakfast options though a bit expensive at £15.50. One big issue we had was with locating the car park. The hotel website suggests a post code to use on your sat nav but our device, having found the hotel, couldn't tell us how to access the car park. I thought directions would be useful and hope the hotel web-site will soon be of more use in this regard as we had frustrating tours of the city, passing the hotel three times, before deciding to ignore a no entry sign. It seems that many travellers had similar trouble and the that the hotel staff often have to direct weary drivers.

If you find the hotel on your right as you drive by on London Road, take the second left (Granby Row). Turn right onto Echo Street. Turn right onto Fairfield Street. Go straight over the lights on Fairfield Street. Do a hairpin right onto Travis Street. Turn left onto Berry Street. The car park will be on your left. You will need to call the hotel or have someone go to reception for the entry code. If you pass the hotel on your left, take a right and turn round as soon as possible as you will soon be on an unavoidable tour of Manchester.

I wish we had this information on our arrival.

Apart from this, however, the hotel and its people were great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
9  Thank Colin S
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Colin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. To be fair like many hotels we provide a Sat Nav postcode specifically designed to get you straight to the car park even though it is literally 5m from the hotel. The car park gate opens automatically as you approach it and its secure 24/7.

Many thanks for your kind words about your stay with us generally it is appreciated.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

First stay in a Macdonald hotel and it won't be our last. We chose it for its' location in central Manchester but only 10 minutes walk to the O2 Apollo or £3 taxi ride.
We had a superior double for a midweek £105 including a very good buffet breakfast. The room was large, on the top, 8th, floor with a huge picture window and very quiet. The bed was 6ft and very comfortable. I'd requested feather pillows and they were fine.
The bathroom is large with a separate bath and large shower. There is a night light under the washbasin for nocturnal visits without having to turn on the normal lighting.
There were tea and coffee making stuff and a safe in the wardrobe.
There is WiFi throughout but it is BT and chargeable unless you are a BT broadband customer.
The staff were at all times professional and courteous.
We ate dinner in the restaurant and it was tasty, well cooked and presented.
No complaints at all. Hope the other hotels in the group are as good.

Room Tip: Superior rooms on the top floor. You don't need the City View room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mikey,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and of course we look forward to your return.

Many thanks for highlighting also the interaction of our great team and the quality of our services and offers.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We checked into the room to be faced with a stiffling smell of smoke but didn't want to mention it believing that the last guest or cleaner must have recently had a cigarette and the smell would naturally pass. We left to go shopping and when we returned the room was just as smelly and quite overwhelming. Closer inspection of the bathroom revealed hairs on the toilet seat, white powder on the glass top of the drawers (yes I fear this was cocaine) and just generally dirty surfaces. We called reception to ask for the room to be cleaned but they said it would be quicker to change rooms. We were due to go out to the theatre and asked for this to happen asap so we could get ready and they told us they would send someone up straight away. Some 40 mins and 3 phonecalls later the concierge finally showed up .....I pointed out the smell, cocaine and general lack of cleanliness to the staff member who just nodded in agreement? We asked to speak to the manager but as he was going off duty it would be passed to the night supervisor. Needless to say that no one contacted us at all. The general contempt of the staff, the terrible customer service and cleanliness of our room is not something you expect in such an established chain. I wont be wasting my money in a Macdonald hotel again!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Mr Smith,

Many thanks for your feedback although as I mentioned in my message to you please try to make your reviews balanced. TripAdvisor is a great platform but it does need all comments to be justified and accurate.

The commonsense resolution was always to simply check you into another room with an agreeable aroma and have a member of staff reclean the initial room that you found fault with. This we did with an offer of a drink for your inconvenience. Solution delivered regrettably reactively I know and I can only sincerely apologise again as genuinley we overwhelmingly deliver immaculately presented rooms and if we fall short we always do something about it immediately and look for improvement from the team going forward. No hotel is perfect but it is how you resolve a concern that makes all the difference and Peter, the member of staff who looked after your concern, has an excellent reputation for customer service and I have every confidence in his approach.

I've also mentioned in my message to you that every single concern I investigate personally and given the gravity of your accusation I've also let you know that I will be passing the matter onto the authorities as I'm in no position to assign the accuracy of your accusation against a member of my team or previous guests nor would I want to allow their reputation to be ruined if there was no foundation / proof with regard the substance you mentioned if indeed it was what you have stated. This does mean that you may need to defend your comments legally as I know TripAdvisor have stated that reviewers views are there's alone and so any defamation of character will be for the person who wrote the comment to resolve/defend when challenged.

As always where we get things wrong we look always to solve and ever improve. Genuinely we attempt to deliver perfection proactively as you'll be able to read by our many other reviews and our team I can assure you only want to do a great job for each and every guest.

Somebody will be in touch soon to follow up on your comments.

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location and room could be great however when my other half miss placed the remote he looked to see if it was under the bed and to discover used conforms. I didn't complain to reception as was only there a short two night stay and didn't want up ruin my birthday weekend

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank louise_wood09
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Louise,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. I'm sorry as your stay appears to be genuine at this time that you found the offending item under your bed. As you will be aware I've asked you for further details about your stay. Alas no reply as yet.

Please get in touch as we have extremely high standards and a passion for ensuring that our rooms are immaculately presented all of the time. This will allow me to investigate further.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Recently stayed one night at this hotel on business. It's large, modern and very well located particularly if you need to be close to the central station. it's a formula hotel so lacks any real charm but it seems busy and has a reasonable room rate and the rooms are sizeable and well stocked. Would stay here again on business but outside of work would chose somewhere else like the Hilton or Malmaison. The big down on this hotel has to be their ridiculous £9.99 per day charge for wifi. This is so outdated and unnecessary and does leave a bitter taste. They really should review their policy on this because over time they will lose repeat business for sure.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hi 1879fulham,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and initially I was disappointed only to get a 4 star rating from you because as a senior reviewer its clear that you know what you're looking for.

However your main concern about WIFI is a little perplexing as its soon to be further upgraded with all of our guests receiving complimentary WIFI via any platform in the market currently with the caveat that internet access in our rooms is already complimentary and is carried through an ethernet system.

I'm presuming also that you booked room only as our food offering is second to none and although you've mentioned some reputable hotel companies I would be gobsmacked if they were delivering to the quality that Macdonald Hotels does as a norm with quality, provenance and food sourcing that is second to none. To that end I'd be delighted to go through this with you on your return as I can't recommend ourselves highly enough when it comes to food service.

Although dining in a hotel may not be for you as I can see by your reviews your choice is sometimes down to budget and you've also commented upon many high street restaurants but I say again you really must try us when it comes to food.

That said thanks for taking the time to review us and as mentioned 4/5 from such an experienced traveller with a guarantee from me that our WIFI is about to be further upgraded (but already currently free via a laptop) isn't so bad but does spur us onto the next opportunity to create a memorable stay for a guest.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Pleasant room, excellent shower in the bathroom, polite staff, good car parking facilities, but you could only have something to eat on a Sunday evening at about 11.00 pm if you had room service. How silly is that?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Shirley,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for where we delivered for you I appreciate your comments.

However I agree entirely with what you have mentioned about our Lounge Food offering and I'm already investigating the matter as there shouldn't be any reason why you should have been disappointed with being able to have something to eat in our bar.

Many thanks and my apologies if the matter took away from what seemed to be an enjoyable stay with us for you.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

What a pleasant surprise this place is, and only 5 mins walk from Piccadilly train station. My room on the 4th floor was enormous - easily twice the size of some of the downtown rooms in plush pads, and nicely decorated with two full double windows. The kingsize bed was very comfortable and the bathroom (bath and large, separate walk-in shower) was equally vast.

I dined in the restaurant in the evening - very friendly staff and excellent food. The cooked breakfast was equally tasty - gorgeous sausages. I noticed it has a 5 star food standards rating which seems very well earned. The downstairs bar area is large and comfortably laid out. The bartenders also know exactly how to serve your desired tipple: it's a long time since I've had a brandy gently warming over a hot water tumbler with a napkin hat. Oh, and the public toilets were spotlessly clean.

The only minor quibbles would be, as some have mentioned, the lifts (elevators) - only two of them, very slow, almost impossible to use when the hotel is busy, always full to capacity. I think they need at least another two or three lifts. The stairs are fine if you are able to use them, but there's a lot of them and it's no good if you have large bags. Similarly, the queues to check out seemed to last all morning (I assume they do a DIY checkout but I was lucky - if you're in a rush, plan ahead!).

In summary: excellent accommodation and fine dining all attended by very friendly and knowledgeable staff. I'd definitely stay again and recommend it over the other chain hotels in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Fourbyefour,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words. Where you felt we did well I can only add that that is our minimum standard as the team strive towards ever excellence.

Where you have see the possibility for improvement then I can assure you that we are working hard to ensure the impact is minimal whilst the opportunity is always something we are working on it becoming a reality.

Great to read though that it didn't limit your appreciation of a team delivering a great stay for you and yours.