“Enormous rooms and great food”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Enormous rooms and great food”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

What a pleasant surprise this place is, and only 5 mins walk from Piccadilly train station. My room on the 4th floor was enormous - easily twice the size of some of the downtown rooms in plush pads, and nicely decorated with two full double windows. The kingsize bed was very comfortable and the bathroom (bath and large, separate walk-in shower) was equally vast.

I dined in the restaurant in the evening - very friendly staff and excellent food. The cooked breakfast was equally tasty - gorgeous sausages. I noticed it has a 5 star food standards rating which seems very well earned. The downstairs bar area is large and comfortably laid out. The bartenders also know exactly how to serve your desired tipple: it's a long time since I've had a brandy gently warming over a hot water tumbler with a napkin hat. Oh, and the public toilets were spotlessly clean.

The only minor quibbles would be, as some have mentioned, the lifts (elevators) - only two of them, very slow, almost impossible to use when the hotel is busy, always full to capacity. I think they need at least another two or three lifts. The stairs are fine if you are able to use them, but there's a lot of them and it's no good if you have large bags. Similarly, the queues to check out seemed to last all morning (I assume they do a DIY checkout but I was lucky - if you're in a rush, plan ahead!).

In summary: excellent accommodation and fine dining all attended by very friendly and knowledgeable staff. I'd definitely stay again and recommend it over the other chain hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Fourbyefour,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words. Where you felt we did well I can only add that that is our minimum standard as the team strive towards ever excellence.

Where you have see the possibility for improvement then I can assure you that we are working hard to ensure the impact is minimal whilst the opportunity is always something we are working on it becoming a reality.

Great to read though that it didn't limit your appreciation of a team delivering a great stay for you and yours.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked a last minute overnight break with my partner in a superior room so cheap and obviously excellent value as a result! Arrived an hour early to check in and the room was ready, always a good start. Very impressed with the room, lovely big comfortable bed and fabulous bathroom! Big shower and separate bath, quite luxurious to be honest, very pleased!

Bit disappointed that despite the hotel size and location, there wasn't a swimming pool! Would be a nice addition given that neither of us fancied a session in the spa, not really our thing but a nice relaxing swim would've sorted us out nicely.

Otherwise, for a one night break from the world, can't complain for the value, the room was clean and tidy on arrival. Would recommend a stay here definitely, excellent location in Manchester city centre!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kat,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback and so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. I think I'd really like us to have a swimming pool also (don't worry its on my wish list).

However I know that our Spa offering is one of the very best around and that the team do all they can to deliver a memorable stay for each and every guest; be it room quality, service standards or simply great food.

Thank you once again and of course we look forward to your return.

Cirencester
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a one night stay mid week for business purposes and got a free upgrade to an executive room which was superb. Great room to relax in with all the usual amenities and a bath as well as a shower which is a real treat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sam,

Thanks so much for your kind review and so pleased that you enjoyed yourself whilst with us.

We look forward to your return.

Fortrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Chose the hotel because it was lose to the station. Very good size room and bathroom. Hotel let down by "old fashioned " lifts - slow and clunky! Also, areas around lifts cluttered with cleaners trollies etc. This is my first stay at this hotel (I stay in hotels on average over 150 nights per year in hotels around the world). Decided to eat in hotel restaurant and was offered a table opposite open kitchen and watched the proceedings. Ordered Scotch Broth which, whilst nicely presented, was more akin to a mutton stew and inedible. Breakfast was good.
Would probably stay there agin if in Manchester but would find another restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bryan,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and as a guest who stays in hotels so much I know your feedback is very important to us. That said I had the Scotch Broth only a few days ago and it was excellent so I'm sorry we disappointed you on the night of your stay and I have spoken with Chef already.

Please let me know when next you are planning to stay with us as I'd be delighted to meet you or help organise your stay.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nice and efficient business hotel. Good location. Everything in Manchester downtown can be reached on foot. The spa and particularly the saunas are nice. The room was big and the bathroom too. My room was facing east and it did get quite hot in the late morning. The aircon wasn't working. Parking is next to the hotel in a gated area and costs 17.50 for hotel guests. No free wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. Front desk staff could be more friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the elevators. The hotel is huge and you can walk 100 meters to your room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. I can reveal that free wifi is soon to become a reality and that it will improve an already excellent hotel experience as you have mentioned.

If I can just amend your title in that we are not just a good location for Piccadilly Station but the best possible and as you mentioned within easy reach of all that is Cottonopolis.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I get to stay in Manchester about once a month and wouldn't choose anywhere else. The rooms are all excellent - modern and good sizes. Handy and safe car parking - a superb restaurant (if a bit pricy) comfortable bar and location if not totally central is close enough. BUT the jewel in the crown here are the staff - every one of them is friendly, knowledgable, well trained and very helpful - well done - the only small issue I have is that the wi-if isn't available in the rooms, although Internet is if you have a cable to plug in - my i-pad doesn't have one! Never mind - Recommended.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear John,

Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to review us. Thanks also for your continued loyalty to our hotel. I can reveal that your request for us to offer free wifi is about to become a reality!!!!

Watch this space as it'll help to continue to improve your customer experience and please be assured that where you see an opportunity for us to improve we are working hard to ensure it happens as soon as possible.

Thank you once again and see you soon.

Isle of Man
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Have stayed here twice once with my husband and just last week with my 21 year old daughter, The trip with my daughter was to see McFly play at the Apollo which was just a 3 minute taxi drive away, you could walk but we did not know the area well enough to do this. Hotel is well located, railway station just round the corner, shops a few minutes away. Room was big, clean, bathroom was a good size with a bath and a shower cubicle, the shower was amazing. Staff were friendly and helpful. We did not eat at the hotel but did have a couple of drinks at the bar, drinks are a little on the expensive side but we were expecting this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Manxpolly
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Polly,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and for your continued loyalty and kind custom all are appreciated. Aye we're ideal for the Apollo as the closest hotel for all that is happening there and also perfectly placed for the city centre as you know.

Our rooms are top quality so thank you also for letting others know just what you get for your money; I honestly don't believe we can be beaten on any of our offers!

All the very best and I hope your return journey went without a hitch and that we see you again sometime soon.