“Lovely hotel shame about the restaurant”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Titchfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel shame about the restaurant”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is really nice and the rooms are spacious and well appointed.

I would recommend that you eat out as the 3 times I have stayed there I have had bad experiences in the restaurant

This stay we were in the restaurant for 2 hours and all we had were starters and a main course

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam B
Anthony P, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Adam,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. I was a little concerned because of your restaurant experience as it is out of kilter with our usual standard and so please be assured that I am looking into matters.

Many thanks once again and I'd be delighted to meet you upon your return to assuage any concerns that your dining experience was nothing more than a minor blip as our restaurant does normally deliver a great all round experience.

The Macdonald Hotel and Spa Manchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
southampton
Reviewed February 10, 2013

After arriving at the hotel a frosty reception at the desk After booking it through there website site they said you can book your parking space on a first come bases which was totally wrong it was a free for all plus I have never heard of paying for parking while you are in a 4 star establishment but you live a learn £15 for 24 hours?

The aircon was not working and the shower well just be careful although the power was strong the slight turn of the wrong switch presented myself being scolded with the hot water when I mentioned it on the check out desk. The usual usual response was it will be noted

So on the whole room ok with its stained carpet aircon does not work and the shower is a potential health and safety issue

Room Tip: Dont pay full price its not worth it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Robin,

First of all thank you for your kind review and comments. As you will see I've asked you for a little more information about your stay so I can further investigate your concerns and get back to you.

I'm sorry that your experience wasn't what both you and I would have liked and so I'd like the opportunity to get that right going forward if you'd be so kind with replying to the email I have sent you.

Kind regards and many thanks in advance for your further assistance.

Ely
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel whilst in Manchester on business. We booked an accessible twin room and it was huge, beautifully clean and well equipped. The staff were mostly very friendly and helpful throughout and nothing seemed too much trouble. In particular, full credit to the restaurant staff who went out of their way to ensure we had a good experience dining in the hotel.

There were just one or two small negatives: breakfast, though very well provided, was also rather expensive, in fact it cost us almost as much as two dinners - and that was with a discount voucher. The bedroom had wide expanses of glass windows and this made it a bit chilly for the person sleeping by the window. We also struggled to find the car park entrance upon arrival.

There was a slight breakdown in communication between staff. The desk manager told us we could keep our room until mid-afternoon so my husband could use it whilst I was working elsewhere. Mid-morning a rather officious member of the housekeeping staff told my husband to get out of the room as he'd overstayed his time in it, so he left.

That apart, this was an agreeable stay and I'd certainly book there again if I were visiting Manchester on business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Anthony P, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Jan,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all that we did well I'm really pleased about however like every hotel that wants always to be consistently great we will use your feedback to improve what we do and how we do it.

Many thanks once again and I look forward to your return

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

On a business trip to Manchester, checked in and was given a room which i didnt want. I asked for the room to be changed and this was done with no problem.
It is a comfortable modern hotel and the staff are very hellpful. Had a good breakfast in the morning.
Only a couple of dissapointing aspcest to teh stay - the hotel car park is diificicult o get too if using sat nav use the carpark adress / post code not the hotels.
couldny get "free" internet accwess to work in my room which was irrittating

Room Tip: all rooms appear to be good although i was originally alloacted a disbaled acess room without asking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Javid,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your feedback it is appreciated so pleased that we looked after you when you felt your room wasn't as you wanted it to be.

I will also look into the matter of the sat nav address to make it is easier for future guests to get to our secure car park when they come by car.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return

gENERAL Manager
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Macdonald for an overnight stay in Manchester. It was very easy to locate from the train station, and upon check in the staff were very helpful and pleasant. The entrance lobby was clean and spacious and the lift was very speedy. The room itself was great - very comfortable double bed, panoramic window, air conditioning, and all the usual amenities you would expect. The shower was powerful, and we both liked the fact there was a small night light in the bathroom so that visits to the toilet in the night were gently illuminated rather than undertaken in either pitch darkness or harsh light.

We did not partake of the breakfast, which was £15 extra, so cannot comment on it.

A highlight of our stay was being able to use the Thermal Suite of the attached spa free of charge. The infrared sauna in particular is worth using.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends, and am hoping to be able to book in again soon.

Room Tip: Higher floors are further from the train station noise, although the glazing does eliminate most of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charlotte,

Many thanks as your review reads like you really enjoyed your time with us which is exactly how we want all of our guests to feel at the end of their stay.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return and that our great team really appreciate your comments.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here while staying overnight in Manchester. The hotel is a bit outdated but was comfortable and had reasonably sized rooms. There is no wifi in the rooms which was annoying as I was under the impression from booking.com that it did, however it is only LAN line and I could not get any work done from in my room but had to go to the bar area.
The bar area itself is functional and the location of the hotel is decent being only a few minutes walk to Piccadilly station and about 10 mins to town.
It was satisfactory for the price and will contemplate staying here again if in the city overnight for work again, but would look elsewhere if there for a social occasion.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Intrepidmanxie,

Many thanks for your feedback which is appreciated although I believe we are not just good for an overnight stay but great at looking after our guests. In terms of WiFi connection I believe it may be the platform that you are using as we are one of the few hotels to offer access to the internet complimentary within our rooms but may be the victim of the relentless pace of change with internet interface.

Thank you once again and I'd be delighted to see you back here so that we can look after you once again.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed in the superior room for a weekend away. The room itself was lovely, nice and big with beautiful furnishings and a huge comfy bed. The bathroom was excellent, having both and bath and shower - the latter being nice and powerful! You've got a TV (which admittedly is pretty small considering how far away from the bed they're fitted), iPod dock, safe, iron, coffee/tea and everything you'd expect for the money you pay. The reception were friendly and conversational, and the hotel location is ideal, about a 1 minute walk from Manchester Picadilly. My only issue is that we've stayed in the standard double room before, which was almost identical to this "superior" room. All that we got extra for about £60 was a shower - which is nice but not really worth that much for two nights! The classic rooms are just as lovely as the superior rooms, so I'd recommend saving a little and going for the normal rooms.

Room Tip: Classic rooms are just as good value as superior rooms - save your money!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your feedback it is appreciated and of course we look forward to your return and your continued custom.