Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
The Midland(Manchester)
$209
$177
6,370 results
All reviewsthermal suitepiccadilly stationcar parklovely hotelcity centremini barlovely roomexecutive roomreception staffstayed here for one nightcomfy bedsaturday nightbathapolloslippersconcert
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we were going to a concert at the o2 apollo. Great location for the venue, easy walking distance. Can not praise this hotel enough. Fantastic room, easy quick check in, pleasant staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony P, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear MrsRiky,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for your kind comments they are appreciated.

Many thanks also for highlighting just how good our location is for all things Manchester and how well the team looked after you.

Kind regards and we look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Hotel & Spa Manchester

Reviewed February 3, 2013

some excellent points made in the review below by peter r; and it gets a little more surreal...

you might expect anything but the bizarre at a place like this: it's large and it's largely functional; it wasn't built as a hotel (originally some sort of corporate headquarters i believe), and this shows in various ways - 2 lifts for a building a couple of hundred metres long is insufficient for a busy hotel building, with some of the rooms being a long way from the liftshaft; toilets for the bar and the restaurant are counter-intuitively and inconveniently located on entirely different floors; above all, as the snow tipped down outdoors (this was late january), the heating in the room was simply unable to cope. at these prices, this latter in particular is more than disappointing.

none of this is the surreal aspect though: this was the crowds - i mean crowds - of teenagers congregated outside, screaming, not because of the cold, snow and wind, but because there was some Strictly Pop Factor's Got Talent event on. there were ex-boyband members with good financial advisers, and former premier league footballers, in da house. the atmosphere was quite hysterical. perhaps this was an entirely exceptional experience of the macdonald - and it was our first - but i have to say that whether you had gone for a productive business environment, a pampering spa and champagne experience or an 'edgy' manchester cultural weekend you might have felt a bit short-changed by the whole experience of nonebrities and screaming. NOT a 4* experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear a_walkers,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for your commentary. I'm new to the hotel so it was food for thought in relation to how we can make our experience even better going forward and can I apologise for the popularity of some of our guests which may have interupted your time with us.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night before flying out of Manchester and would gladly have extended our stay had this been possible.

Our room was large and spacious and had a very comfortable bed, and the ensuite bathroom had everything that we neded, including excellent towels and a good selection of toiletries. On a previous stay our sleep was disturbed by the banging of room doors but on this occasion there were no problems with noise.

Dinner in the hotel was very good indeed and reasonably priced. Food was well cooked and nicely presented. Service was friendly and efficient. Breakfast, included in the room rate, was extremely good and again we were well looked after by friendly and attentive staff.

When a problem arose with online check-in and printing of boarding cards for next day's flight, the concierge went that extra mile to sort it out and showed incredible patience; but it is fair to say that all members of staff were helpful and pleasant from the time we checked in to the time of our departure..

My booking was made through the hotel's website a couple of months in advance and I was delighted with the rate offered. This was true value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank billyboy

Dear Billyboy,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words I know the team read them and it drives them onto delivering consistently great stays for all our guests.

I was especially pleased also to read that you got a great rate through our website which I recommend to any one else if they are planning ahead with a stay in Manchester as we do fill very quickly.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night only, brief visit on business, never stayed in Manchester hotel before, have to say very impressed. Location fab near to Piccadilly station so great if you want to be a stones throw from all the shopping/bars/restaurants etc, large rooms, fab shower, comfy bed, very clean, panoramic views, great breakfast and to top it and most importantly ALL staff do the place proud, are so helpful, friendly and welcoming :-). Well done! Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Marais72,

What a lovely review thank you! It is appreciated and of course we look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

CONTEXT:

I visit Manchester on business several times a month and have stayed in most hotels in Manchester centre. Generally I go for quiet, peaceful hotels, near enough to the centre to walk to a restaurant or the office districts.

GOOD POINTS:

- The room was huge
- The bath was big enough to fully lay in (and I'm 6'3")
- Generally clean and well serviced between nights
- 4G signal was very good on EE (and needed due to lack of wifi in rooms) iPlayer worked fine.
- Lots of TV channels (the usual digital channels)
- Very very close to Manchester Piccadilly station

BAD POINTS:

- There seems to be a night club under, or right next to, the rear of the hotel. The music didn't even start until about 1am, but once it got going while it wasn't very loud, it was loud enough to distract you from going to sleep (I was still up working rather than it woke me, I suspect it was loud enough to wake people on the rear of the hotel, especially on lower floors).

- Some of the other guests came in drunk / late banging on doors and shouting at 3am. While this in itself was an isolated case, it does make me wonder, considering it's central location and its proximity to the night club, I'm not convinced it was. (I did stay two nights).

- No wifi in room. There was an Ethernet port on the desk, but no cable, so I can't comment on if it worked or not.

SUMMARY

Given the price I paid, I would probably not stay again.
I've tried to give a fair rating for the quality of the hotel Vs the price, and in this instance I would probably recommend some of the hotels on Peter Street such as the Midland or the Radisson for a better nights sleep away from drunken revellers for a similar price per night.

The hotel itself is good. But given the night club it's gone from a 4 star rating to a 2 star.

On the other hand, if I wanted a hotel next to the train station with a night club next door, then I would probably have a different opinion all together!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay then ask for a room on the higher floors at the front away from the night club.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and being only new to the hotel I have to be honest and say I wasn't aware of any noise issues around the hotel however I'll look into matters as the hotel is all double glazed and so noise isn't really something that comes up as an impact from what I can see. I'm sorry about the late night revellers also we do the best with guests who are boisterous and I'm particularly aware of the impact on our other guests which we try tom control.

I've looked through the areas where we can improve upon and I don't see any reason why they can't be overcome going forward.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you back here as we be delighted if you gave us another try.