“Return visit but no improvement.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #44 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
“Return visit but no improvement.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here on business on several occasions and on each occasion there has been an issue which is never resolved. On this occasion it was the heating/AC. It was a particularly cold week in Manchester and snow had been forecast. I was given the usual large room with flat screen TV and shower without a bath. A room of this size needs to be heated adequately. I tried to maintain the temperature of my room manually but it kept switching itself off. I spoke to the hotel reception on two occasions who said they would adjust the override and thus allow me to keep it on as long as I wanted. This never happened and in the end I got fed up and slept in my thermals. On the third occasion they offered to change my room at 9.30pm, I was due to check out the next morning and would have had an unnecessary upheaval. I understand the need to monitor the use of electricity but with temperatures were below zero outside and the with cost of staying at Macdonalds I resent sleeping in a cold room and not getting adequate sleep to have a conducive business day !
Breakfast was the usual high standard with lots of choice and the provision of soya milk.
The gym was adequately equipped with enough CV machines and free weights.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Anthony P, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear PeacefulWarrior67,

Thank you for your feedback.
Please accept my apologies for the issue with your heating. I would appreciate it if you could contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss the matter further.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Bought a night before dashing off for holiday, right next to train station that's the main reason. We were surprised when we got into the room, it's just spacious. A general idea - it could become 2 rooms in London's hotel. Proper bathroom with separate shower and tub.
Nice in-room gadgets and we had free wifi.
The thermal suite (sauna, steam and cold bath with warm stone beds) was free to guests so we enjoyed a warm evening under the cold weather.
The hotel is quite new so basically the photos on their website match the reality.
Nice reception staffs. Good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jk0819,

Thank you for your feedback.
It is a pleasure to read about your experience and I will share this with our team.

England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed on business for 4 nights. The bedroom is huge (but, as others have said, it is difficult to view the TV from bed). Also the bathroom was a good size. I couldn't hear traffic noise (I was located at the front of the building), nor noise from my neighbours. What let the hotel down for me was the lack of storage space and the food. For such a huge bedroom it was surprising that the storage space was four open shelves in the wardrobe, plus the handing space. No storage at the side of the bed (tables only there), nor in the huge desk space, nor in the bathroom (apart for the shelf and side of the basin).

We were there over a weekend and into the beginning of the week and used the conference floor, so our evening meal was served in the private dining area on that floor. All meals were buffet style. The choice of vegetables seemed to be sugar snap peas + very few other vegetables for the first several meals (I like them, but not that much), then we had ratatouille (very good) and then a dish of carrots (no other choice). Desserts were mainly chocolate based, large and no fresh fruit (this was available at breakfast and lunch, however). One of our group picked what he thought were potatoes for one meal and they turned out to be pork sausage (described on the menu as outdoor reared pork sausages). Staff were friendly and efficient. I didn't use the spa as I was working most of the time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear welltravelledkandd,

Thank you for your feedback.
Storage space isn't an issue in our bedrooms that we have come accross, however, we can always help with this if we are made aware of it.
It's unfortunate that the menu agreed with your conference organisers wasn't what you had hoped for, however, when you next visit, please let a member of our food and beverage team know if there is anything else they can do to enhance your dining experience and they will be more than happy to assist where possible.

Elgin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My self and a friend booked in for a spa 1/2 day; a 30 minute facial and 30 minute back massage. We also used the sauna and steam room and relaxed in the chill out room.

The reception and beautician were lovely and made our experience bliss, we were both very relaxed by the time it had finished. We requested a glass of champagne once we were finished which was the perfect end to our experience.

Only negative was that there was some maintainance work when we visited which tripped the sauna/steam room so initially was not hot when we first went in. Apart from that a lovely relaxing day!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Samtoaly,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and your Spa experience even though there was a slight temperature issue at the start.
Please let me know when you plan to visit again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Absolutley brilliant hotel. I stayed here on New Years Day with my partner for our anniversary and we were absolutley over the moon with it. We stayed in a King Size City View room which was amazing.

Very spacious, comfortable bed, comfortable chairs, alot of facilities. The bathroom was flawless and very fancy.

Right by Piccadilly Station and a 5 - 10 minute walk to the middle of the city centre. Would definatley recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Manchester.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Alex A,

Thank you for your feedback. It is a pleasure to read about your experience with us and I will be delighted to share this with our team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

west sussex uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

About two minutes walk from the metro tram exit of Picadilly station the Macdonald is very convenient for rail travellers. The rooms are large and well furnished, excellent bedding and large and well appointed bathroom and shower facilities. The breakfast hamper is overrated but otherwise this is a grat hotel for a short stay in lively Manchester.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Anthony P, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Mr Cunningham,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please feel free to contcat me directly regarding your expectations of our Breakfast Hamper.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

An overnight stay near the Piccadilly train staton was perfect for convenience. Clean and quiet room. Huge comfortable bed. Only problem was the smallish tv screen being so far away from the bed. Attentive and pleasant staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SavBlancAdelaide
Guest-Srvs-Mgr, Guest Relations Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of our location, I look forward to sharing your comments wih our team. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,