“Excellent hotel, great rooms and good service.”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #51 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here on several occasions in the last year and would happily come back again.

The rooms are large and well equipped with wired Internet access and upper floors all have good views.

Breakfast buffet is good with plentiful hot and cold options and service excellent.

Perfect when getting the train as right next to Piccadilly and easy walking distance to main restaurants etc in city centre.

Will definitely stay agin when coming across to Manchester.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Jon2711
Guest-Srvs-Mgr, Guest Relations Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted you enjoy your stays with us, it is always a pleasure to welcome a guest back to the hotel. Until next time.

With kind regards,

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,193)

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a good example of the Macdonald chain and better than most. The location is excellent for rail connections and close to the retail centre of Manchester (10 mins walk). Rooms are high quality and spacious. Again I criticise the hotel for charging for wifi, which is my hobby horse issue. Just roll it all into the room rate for heavens sake!! The gym is actually quite good - not the usual dingy room, and I always seem to have it to myself. Breakfast quality is good but check that they don't charge more if you have not pre booked it. (Total scam)

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your feedback. These comments will be shared with our team to allow us to make improvements where necessary. I hope you choose to stay with Macdonald Hotels again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Wanted to visit the Christmas markets, so booked 2 nights here. Tried to cancel due to a bereavement, but they would not refund anything, so just want for the sat night. Hadn't booked anywhere to eat, so ate in the restaurant - had to wait ages for the food and asked three times for some water! The food was good, but not worth the wait. The spa was ok but there were no robes available. Expensive weekend considering the service we received.

Room Tip: We had a city view, but the view was not pleasant.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the issues encountered during your stay. These are not the usual high levels of service that our customers have come to expect and I am sorry that we fell short on this occasion. I hope you will return to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great stay, lovely rooms. Beautiful ambiance. Would stay again in a heartbeat. Wonderful weekend in Manchester! Double rooms were huge, we ended up getting a takeaway and watching films as opposed to going out. The bed was one of the comfiest i've ever slept in.. was even better as we're not used to a king-size and memory foam mattress!

Room Tip: We faced the train station. Windows were thick and couldn't hear a think
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Guest-Srvs-Mgr, Guest Relations Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear MichaelL, it is fantastic to read such a positive review. I am extremely pleased you chose to share your experience with us, and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Booked a last minute one night stay to enable us to see the German Christmas Markets. Arrived early on the Friday but no problem to be shown to room straight away. Nice big room, clean, well furnished and massive window.

10 minute walk and you right in the heart of Manchester.

Enjoyed great evening meal in the bar with a nice bottle of wine all at a great price.

Will book again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear CTS66, I am delighted you enjoyed your time at the hotel and in Manchester, thank you for your kind review. Please do visit again soon, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here on business. Massive room, clean, well furnished and maintained. The only downside was he view from the window, Piccadilly Station platforms, but the sound insulation was so good i heard nothing. I would certainly go back.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review, it was lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I'm so picky about hotels as I travel a lot, and I must say, I was cynical when my PA booked me into this hotel. But wow, it was fantastic. Check in was seamless, quick and painless and the receptionists were polite, efficient and great to deal with. They upgraded me foc (thank you so much) to the top floor and again, the moment when you open the door is the true test - I'm normally holding my breath at that point! The room was amazing...great view of Manchester, really clean and well decorated. The bathroom was also fantastic - a bath and separate shower yeah!

I must apologise to the room next door for the music I had pumping out the IPhone docking station!!

Also thanks to Lewis in the bar area who was very helpful, a lovely guy.

Car parking is in a secure car park around the back of the hotel - £15 for a day which was reasonable given the only alternative being unsecure street or public car parks.

Keep it up!

Room Tip: The higher the better - upgrade if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank snowqueen75

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read about your experience with us and it will be a pleasure sharing your comments with our team-especially Lewis. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Manchester.