“Just buy a tent !!!”
Review of Citi Park Hotel

Citi Park Hotel
Ranked #100 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 29, 2012

FAKE, FAKE FAKE HOTEL. Do NOT use this hotel under any circumstances!!!!!! Bad advertising. Shocking location! Smells very bad! Shocking management!!! All in all, you would be better staying in a tent!
We got to the 'Hotel' and reused to stay in it it was that bad! Travelled nearly 2 hours to find a rubbish 'Hotel'.
This hotel uses FAKE pictures and does NOT have set prices for rooms!!! Prices are different for everyone!!! Which is stupid!!!!
This place should be closed down and should not be allowed to false advertise!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Jones4510

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were booked into Hendham House hotel up the road for the Stone Roses gig at Heaton Park. 29th June 2012.

We arrived about 9pm at Hendham House hotel which is situated in a terrible area. (opposite a boarded up Physchiatric building) Had to park car on roadside where there was broken glass on the road. Someone had clearly had their car broken into. I had phoned the hotel the day before to confirm the booking, spoke to lady who said they had my booking and see you tomorrow. However, on arrival we were told by the manager Dominic (who was smoking inside) that we were "late" and that our room had been given to someone else! We were not happy, as had just a 4.5 hour journey. After much rustling of paperwork and clearly not that bothered, he then told "it's ok" and that they own another hotel down the road and that's the best he could do: City Park Hotel. So we had no choice but to go there.

This was the WORST "hotel" ever!!! Thanks a lot Hendham House for one of the worst nights of my life!

We parked the car in a residential spot opposite, still in a dodgy area with lots of suspect people around.

We were greeted by a lad called Jamie, not sure if he was the manager. He showed us a shared TV lounge, where people had been smoking indoors and a very basic and dirty looking kitchen.

Jamie led us up to our room on the top floor with a window about 7cm wide and 40cm long, other than that there were two skylights. We used them quite a lot, by climbing on to the bed and looking out to check the car had not been stolen.

Our room was smelly, unclean. The TV did not work, Also no toilet roll, no handsoap. Broken shower, and then we noticed that there was NO DOOR TO BATHROOM between bedroom and bathroom!! My boyfriend and I are close, but not that close, when the bed and the toilet and within a metre away from each other! No thanks. Having been there 10 minutes we seriously considered driving straight home again.

We called Jamie back about all of these points, and to be fair he was trying to be helpful as possible, under the extremely poor circumstances. He then moved us to another room on ground floor. This looked better. The TV worked, however the blinds on the window did not work, drawstring from blind was somehow attached to the chest of drawers and could not be pulled down. There was an ensuite, but we were told not to use it as toilet doesn't flush and shower doesn't work, infact the light switch didn't work either. The door was an office style door with a viewing pane in it, newer than the other doors, quite why you would like to see each other on the loo from the bedroom, is beyond me. Apparently this was one of the rooms part way through being refitted! God help them when it is complete.

At least we had a window, all be it of the back of next door's building with bars up against the window. We manged to sleep due to being so tired, (in all our clothes, using our own pillows and towels from home as a duvet), due to fear of catching something in the bed, and without brushing our teeth as bathroom was DISGUSTING and falling to pieces. Bathroom floor felt like it was going to fall through. As soon as it was light we searched like mad manged to find an alternative, ACTUAL HOTEL, no where near this run down area, with a bathroom door and everything!

More of a drop in centre for the homeless. If all you need is 4 walls and a roof, then great.

I am disappointed that this was booked through Booking.com. They should be ashamed and remove this hotel immediately.

This was one of the worst nights of our lives and we will not be returning to Manchester again.

At least Stone Roses were good. Glad you didn't ruin that for me.

Room Tip: Just don't bother, unless you are homeless.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sarah V
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Several years ago, on a low budget trip to Budapest, I stayed at a hostel in a fire damaged building with no running water and no air conditioning. Whilst it had spectacular views of the city the building was in such disarray that it was a wonder it was even still functioning. Besides the derelict state of the building however,, the staff were friendly, the beds were decent, the linen was at least clean, and from the few Forint’s I paid the stay cost me no more than a couple pounds.

In comparison, The Citi Park Hotel in Manchester has some way to go if it ever wants to be half as good as a hostel in a fire damaged wreck of a building with no running water which costs less for a nights stay than a pint of beer.

Like many of its guests, I’m sure, we arrived at The Hendham House Hotel (formerly the absurdly titled Citi Mansions), having booked online and paid a deposit. We settled up the remainder of the bill as the manager informed us, due to having no idea we were coming, we would be put up in the Citi Park Hotel instead – clean, tidy, and just up the road, he told us, presumably describing a completely different hotel from the one he would eventually take us to. With hindsight, it reflects poorly on me that I accepted at face value his excuse that he had no idea we were coming whilst at the same time he was asking me to “settle the bill”.

The manager piled us in to his car and drove “just up the road” for ten or so minutes, casually talking on his mobile telephone to someone at the Citi Park about the Scottish boys he was bringing up, joking to him that we were Rangers fans and that he needed to look after us or we would beat him up.

In truth, only one of us in the car was a Rangers fan, and none of us had at that point considered any violence against an employee of either hotel. After the casual racism, we arrived at the Citi Park. I read aloud the sign outside the building which boasted the hotel was the “height of luxury”; in a rare moment of truth our driver scoffed “I wouldn’t go that far”. We pulled into the driveway and the front door edged open, revealing the frightened face of what we assumed was the person in charge. As he came closer we could see bruising on his face and the blackening around his eyes where he had clearly been beaten up, possibly from a previous incident with a Rangers fan?

The young guy, who introduced himself as Jamie, was seemingly in charge of the hotel and invited us in the front door. As I stepped over the doorway I was overwhelmed by the stench of dampness, so thick and overpowering in the air that not only could I smell and taste it, I could actually feel it against my skin. Inside, it was clear that the Citi Park was merely two houses with the walls knocked in to create one hotel, furnished in the style of a squat.

Jamie took us up the steps to our rooms. Firstly the luxurious double with en suite – “Don’t use the en suite, it doesn’t work”, Jamie warned. The room had a window without a blind, dirty linen, and a dirty face towel. This was the height of luxury at the Citi Park. The other small room had been almost completely taken over by the double bed in it, was dirty, damp, and unclean, which wires hanging from walls and odd stains on the four walls. Outside was a communal toilet which was out of order; for some reason the had the door knocked off the hinges and was lain balanced over the door frame either to stop entry or because they had nowhere else to put it.

With a begrudging acceptance that we had paid and weren’t going to get our money back to go elsewhere we thanked Jamie for showing us around and asked for him to show us the working communal bathrooms. At this point a man appeared on the landing beside Jamie and, somewhat bizarrely, extended his hand out to shake mine – “I’m Ricky, the manager” he claimed. I shook his hand and waited for him to explain why he was greeting me. Awkwardly, we all waited in silence for him to follow up his reason for greeting me or explain why he was introducing himself before I eventually realised he had nothing further to add. Sensing his claim to be the manager was somewhat hollow I returned to dealing with Jamie, who despite appearing to be high as a kite on drugs, at least had an air of sense to him. On returning to our induction tour of the Citi Park Ricky, the manager, summoned Jamie away from us in the middle of us asking him questions; Jamie, clearly intimidated by Ricky, the manager, very plausibly because he was the source of the boys facial injuries, quickly went off to a corner where the two furtively whispered for a minute and then departed, signalling the end of our tour.

We settled on rooms and promptly wanted to head out to the city for the evening. The door to my room, the luxurious double with non functioning en suite, didn’t shut and I had no key to lock it. Having trundled around the hotel for several minutes, I eventually found Jamie in his bedroom on the ground floor, told him we planned to head out and explained that I couldn’t lock my door. The Citi Park seemingly doesn’t offer keys to customers as a policy, and Jamie told us he would lock the door upon our exit and let us back in when we returned. I informed Jamie that we would possibly be coming back late, and asked if there was a curfew at all to get back in. With an unfamiliar air of confidence bordering almost on cockiness Jamie replied “It’s a hotel, enjoy yourself”, rather bizarrely, I thought, given the venue was clearly neither a hotel nor in the least bit enjoyable.

Upon my return several hours later the doors were locked and the lights were out. Having rang the doorbell for some time I attempted to phone the hotel using the number I picked up off of a poster in the hall, but the number seemed to no longer, if it ever did, exist. Eventually Jamie appeared zombie-like at the doorway, eyes bloodshot and entirely unaware of who we were. “I hope we didn’t wake you”, I told him to no response. I retired to my unlocked room with door ajar just as I left it several hours earlier, turned the pillowcases inside out in the vain hope that the other side would be cleaner, and slept for a few hours until being awoken by the light coming through the window with no blind in the early hours of the morning.

Breakfast was to be served between 8 and 10, so I waited until 8:30 before going down to ask for a towel so I could use the communal bathroom. As there was no sign of life in any of the rooms I knocked on Jamie’s bedroom door. “What is it” I was asked from the confused voice inside. “I’ve just came to see if I can get a towel”. After some rustling around inside the room the door opened and Jamie handed me a towel before emerging from his room and opening up the communal rooms where breakfast was to be self served between the hours of 8 and 10.

The communal bathroom was a mixture of filthy bathroom fittings and uneven tiles, topped off by a complete lack of hot water. I realised a hot shower at the Citi Park was always going to be a pipe dream and simply dressed instead. Whilst dressing a knock at the bathroom door disturbed me, “one second” I replied, as I finished buttoning my jeans and tying my shoelaces. I opened the door and was greeted by an emaciated figure in mid retreat from the doorway, staring at me with a facial expression locked between fear and confusion. “That’s me finished in there” I informed him, but his face remained unmoved. I felt unsettled staring into this mans eyes, wondering what horrors his stay at the Citi Park had held for him. Briefly we were locked in a stare, and I was reminded of the scene in Stand By Me when the young Will Wheaton disturbs a deer in the forest in the midst of going about its animalistic business and the two share a short moment of unspoken understanding.

We packed our things from our rooms and ventured downstairs, where signs of life had appeared now that I had awoken Jamie from his slumber. “We’re off, Jamie” I told the boy, who looked back at me once again with no clue as to who I was, alerting me to the fact that maybe he hadn’t just not recognised me the previous night due to being stoned out of his nut when we came back, but rather more worryingly that he was also perfectly comfortable just letting in anybody who appeared at the front door in the middle of the night.

Having since looked into this hotel it transpires that it is a venue which the council utilises to house vulnerable adults, ranging from the mentally challenged to recovering addicts. It occurs to me now that I cannot be sure in fact whether Jamie even worked there, or whether he was actually just a guest whom I had simply assumed was an employee merely because he answered the door to me. On reflection, the awkward confusion between ourselves and Ricky, the manager, could have been a mutual misunderstanding given that to him we may simply have appeared as strangers in the hotel having been let in and shown around by one of the vulnerable adults it houses.

Given I have no idea whether we were technically squatting on the premises, I am unsure whether my review of the Citi Parks is in fact valid. Nonetheless, we paid £60 to someone, who may or may not have had any legal business taking our money, in order to spend the night in a rancid dosshouse which made the fire damaged hostel in Budapest that had no running water seem like the height of luxury.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank BobbyHeenanFan
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Apart from a new and friendly manager nothing nice to mention. One of the worse I stayed in. It was advertised as B&B but if you wanted to have some breakfast you had to make it yourself!!! Didn't use the bathroom facilities as just to filthy(and i'm not even a big lady!)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FabSki
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Booked this over the phone and paid half the deposit, £20. Was told the rooms were £40 for a double room. Booked 3 rooms for myself and some friends. Was told on the phone that it was an extra £5 on one room as 3 were going to be in that room. A kingsize bed room.
We also asked about late check out and was advised that was fine we could oversleep. Free parking in a secure car park.
Sounds great eh.
When we arrived we learned that late check in was £5 for every hour over 11am. Fair is fair but she should have told us about this on the phone. The first 3 arrived first and paid the other £25 as our room was to be £45 as advised. We were giving room 1 right at the main entrance we asked for a differant room and were told that was a kingsize room the biggest and that it had a kingsize bed. Then another 2 arrived and were also charged a further £25 meaning with their deposit of £20 it was £45 but there was only 2 in this room. The second group of 2 were also charged the same. When we question the manager she said i said £45 a room and the room with 3 should have been £55 but we got a £10 discount. I said that was wrong and she suggested we go to another hotel then. Very customer satisfaction eh.
When I saw the other rooms the beds were the exact same size all double, so the manager lied about the room, moving us and the cost etc.
There was also a terrible smell coming from the toilet system. Our was rotten as the evening went on, really bad now I know things can go wrong thats fine but when I told the manager Nazia she said well what have you done as it was not like that before we were checked in. It was really bad in room 1, our friend was in room 16 and theres was bad but not as bad as ours. They did spray fabreeze however that never lasted all night. Room 16 had no door on the toilet either and was bigger than our room (with the same sized bed!!!!) Nazia was really unhelpful when we brought it up, our shower would not heat up also and Nazia had to show us after playing about and said whats so hard about that. Eh after trying for 30 minutes why not provide your services!
£40 for a room is cheap and yeah if thats what is expected then fine, we weren't lookign for luxuary just somewhere to crash but my god was our room stinkign when we came back from the night out the toilet door was left open and the room was stinking making me boke.
The secure car park is not secure as was described on the booking telephone call. it looks out onto a park. Run down area also.
I feel bad for writing this, cheap adn cheerfull but just felt that the manager should have been honest felt she lied too much about the cost, room size, bed size and the sewage problem and also mis led me about the late check out.

Working as a Manager for Thomas Cook Shop , I must say I would never nor promote to my team to recommend this hotel, they need to work on their customer service skills and address issues.

PS - Manchester for a night out is amazing, we had a absolute ball

Room Tip: Get it all in writing, either e-mail or letter confirmation of price and services included.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank GandyD
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is used by Manchester city council as a place to put homeless adults and youths. They also house vulnerable adults here when they do not have appropriate accommodation.

Those vulnerable persons include adults with a variety of mental problems.

Please look elsewhere if visiting the city.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank nickbrat
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I stayed in Citi Park Hotel with a group of friends when we went to watch the OASIS concert at Heaton Park. I chose this hotel as it was the closest one I could find to Heaton Park and also one of the cheapest! £67 per room. The Hotel was a 10 minute taxi drive but about 45 minute walk. The Hotel was more like a B&B type set up, although there wasn't a lounge area there was a kitchen and you could help yourselves to tea and coffee when you wanted. The rooms were clean and quite modern but small and they were not en-suite, which surprised me as I didn't see this written anywhere and I normally only stay at hotels with en-suite, anyway as we were not using the hotel extensively and staying for one night only it was ok. I'm a bit particular about showers and didn't want to use that one but some people may be fine with this. Considering other friends paid over £100 for a room in the centre of Manchester this hotel was fine for our need.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends