“Great location & excellent service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Essex
“Great location & excellent service”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Only stayed for one night but was very impressed with almost everything about this hotel, from the warm cookie on check in to the ease of the express check out. Good selection of meals for room service, although I wasn't too hungry so just ordered a sandwich which arrived quickly. Spacious bathroom with lovely toiletries (although no shampoo, only conditioner - as I'd taken my own I didn't raise it with housekeeping) and well laundered towels. Temperature in the room was easy to control, there was plenty of lighting and storage. Apple TV is a great touch, with internet access via the mac which meant I was able to catch up with a TV series on BBC iPlayer and watch it on a bigger screen than my iPad! Only small niggle was that I asked for tea with my breakfast but it never arrived, and by the time I'd finished eating I had to shoot off to the office so I couldn't wait any longer. The staff were so busy they didn't have time to check if all was OK, which would have been my opportunity to ask for my tea. As I say, a small niggle and it wouldn't stop me from staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JackAppleton, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. Great to read you had such an enjoyable stay.

I am so sorry for the mix up with breakfast tea, I have shared your feedback with our Breakfast Manager.

We all do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Jack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Arrived evening time, wasn't waiting to get booked in straight in and too my room. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with their own heating and air con system, the room service was fast and efficient and of good quality although there is a 4 pound charge for this service. The breakfast was nice and not restrictive like in some other hotels. I will be using the doubletree again in the future

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience.

So great to read and share you had an enjoyable visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

LOVED THIS PLACE! From the minute we walked through the revolving door I knew this was going to be perfect. Check in was prompt and swift with the lovely Jordan. Our room was ready early which made our lives so much easier, we were able to take our luggage to our room and unpack before going for lunch in the city. The very delicious and yummy scrummy warm cookie given at check in was to die for and a lovely little added bonus.
The room was exceptionally clean, bright, airy and fresh. Linen was crisp and the bathroom spotless. Toiletries were Crabtree & Evelyn Citron. Safe and fridge provided necessary security and refrigeration for necessary supplies. Two bottles of water are included in the room rate. Iron, hairdryer and imac were as standard in the room also. As was free wifi which was invaluable as I had to work over the course of our stay
The bed and pillows were the best I have ever slept on in a hotel and while it took me forever to get to sleep (too much caffeine) it was certainly restful and comfortable.
Breakfast was buffet style, ample choice and service was prompt, pleasant and with a bright and breezy smile.
Checkout also a doddle. As we were spending some time in the city prior to returning home on the train the hotel very kindly agreed to look after our luggage for us. Another brownie point for this wonderful hotel
Would I stay again - absolutely. It was worth every penny, the staff were ready and willing to help at any opportunity and the bed and pillows make it a definite differentiator amongst its competitors (as well as the cookie)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you and wow!

Such great feedback is inspiring to read and share with the team, in particular Jordan on the Front Desk!

We are so pleased you had such a great visit, please contact me directly, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com the next time you plan to stay in Manchester!

Manchester
Reviewed June 4, 2014

It’s nearly 2 years now since I reviewed this hotel first on tripadvisor and, at that time, it had only recently become a Doubletree.

Then, I was uncertain whether or not the Doubletree brand values and quality had yet translated to the hotel. My summary, after having given it a less than fantastic review, was:

“I suspect that the hotel isn't really the bad hotel that I seem to be painting a picture of, rather, I think, my problem with it is that I expected more of it (or, perhaps, for it to be different to what it actually is). It certainly failed to deliver on my expectations. I expected the Doubletree brand and values that I have experienced in the USA and so was disappointed when I did not get that.”

I was interested to see if things had changed since my last stay and so, needing a night in Manchester, close to the station, I burned a not-inconsiderable number of my Hilton Honours points to get a room here for the night.

Firstly, I have to say that all of the staff I met, throughout my stay, were friendly and helpful.

As for the hotel itself, well, whilst I certainly had a somewhat better experience this time, I have to say, it was still not good enough to lift my original rating.

On reflection, I think quite a bit of what I wrote two years ago still has some validity, and although there does appear to have been some positive movement in some areas, there are still some issues (for me), and one or two problems I didn't spot last time.

Check in was quick and easy. A warm welcome.

Now, the room itself…

Well, for me, in-room temperature does still seem to be an issue in warm weather.

I was in (what is advertised as) an “air-conditioned Queen Executive Room” but I found the room to be too warm and I could not cool it sufficiently at any time using the “air conditioning” (even though the weather was not particularly hot outside). When I turned the system on in my room it seemed to me that the air being emitted from the vent (even after some time running) was not being chilled/cooled (conditioned). I left it on all night and the room was just as warm in the morning as it was when I stared trying to cool it. It was as if the system was not actually “air conditioning” but a kind of air recirculation/ventilation system (and, yes, I do know how to operate these systems and how they should work). Either that, or the “conditioning” element to the system was turned off..?

I was able to open a small window but it had (at best) only a limited impact and closing the curtains then seemed to negate the effect of this for room cooling.

In other respects, the room was OK. A little small, perhaps, and I still found the styling a little sterile, but everything worked OK and it was clean and maintained. Lighting was much better in this room than the one I had 2 years ago.

Noise (though) was much worse in this from than the one I had 2 years ago. This time, I noticed significant noise bleed from the corridor into the room. I also noticed significant impact of the trams passing below, and in particular, the screech they make rounding the curve as they pull past and away from the hotel (not made any better by having the window open to help cool the room).

Both disturbed me at times and if I was to stay again I would seek a room away from the tram tracks in a less trafficked area..

The only other point about the room that I noted is that they are still using (as TV’s etc) the old white iMacs that City Inn installed many years ago. To be honest, when you consider the systems provided in some other hotels nowadays, I don’t think that using these (now) 7 or 8 year old iMacs as an entertainment centre quite makes the impact that it might have done 7 or 8 years ago. The screen size is quite small for TV viewing and using the apple remote is a little fiddly. The modern alternative of flat screens with entertainment ports to let you plug in your own stuff seems somehow more user-friendly. This is something this property might consider.

The beds are still too hard for my liking but the pillows are better now than they were when I stayed last.

Nice to have free soft drinks stocked in the fridge in the executive room. This is something rivals could take note of.

The public areas downstairs are still nice enough, clean and seemingly well maintained, but I found the music played over the sound system in those areas too loud at times, especially at 6.30am for breakfast. Actually, at that time in the morning, I just found it off-putting.

The breakfast itself was OK, but nothing special. Staff were friendly and helpful.

This isn’t a bad hotel, by any means, but I have stayed in many better ones at or about this price/quality mark.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Juninho_pp,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comprehensive review with TripAdvisor, as a senior contributor we are pleased to learn the team were helpful and friendly during your second stay with us.

I have shared your experience with the Senior Team on property, and invite you to contact me directly, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com if you would like to discuss the contents of your review further.

We all genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Batam, Indonesia
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Pretty neat hotel in city centre Stayed there for one night and we were quite satisfied. The room was well maintained, simple yet clean and comfortable. The hotel is located right at the city centre. Nice restaurants, shopping centres, and other point of interests are in walking distance Manchester Piccadilly train station is right at the back. It will be very convenient if you arrive and depart by train. If using a car, parking is a bit complicated like in any other downtown hotels. Apart from coin based parking machines, there are city's parking spaces around the hotel with fixed rates which I think quite reasonable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Sidecone,

Thank you sharing such a great review with Tripadvisor.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind regards,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Everything you would expect from a DoubleTree, clean room,breakfast was delicious lots of choice. There was a small issue in that the suit booked was not correct however they did offer us a complimentary drink to rectify this.

• Stayed May 2014
JackAppleton, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing such a great review.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,

Switzerland
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights midweek in this very modern hotel. Staffed with extremely helpful, friendly staff and every possible modern armenity (even an imac in every room, and a seemingly endless supply of cookies) we hugely enjoyed our stay here. Although the rooms may not be the cheapest they are well worth the extra. Room service is very cheap and english breakfast was superb. Only wish the buildings around the hotel would be restored!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Richard R,

Thank you for such a great review. We all genuinely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.