“Ideal location”

Ranked #20 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Ideal location”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed for 2 days in Manchester and upon check-in we were greeted with friendly receptionists, offered cookies and even upgraded to a bigger room. The rooms are clean and spacious with comfy beds and the usual amenities. It's also across the street from Manchester Piccadilly station, so it's ideal for exploring the city on foot as the location is very central. I got a very good deal so the price was also very reasonable!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything else about this hotel is good, comfy beds, good decor, welcome cookie, apart from the fact that the towels in my bathroom were absolutely filthy and already used. The bath towel had blood on it, not just a spec but quite a bit spread across one side and the hand towel had black marks all over it, like it had been used to polish shoes. Both were neatly folded and on the towel racks, so whether these were just left from the previous guest or were apparently “fresh” towels put in by housing keep after being picked from another room, I have no idea but I ended up reluctantly using the spare set in the wardrobe that seemed to be clean.

Unclean towels are not great under any circumstance but to find blood is just shocking, revolting, unhygienic. I did mention this incident when I checked out and the lady apologised and gave me a card to present on my next visit. She said if I mention the incident then maybe the hotel will be able to do something for me on that occasion. This is not really addressing the issue or giving me the sense of wanting to come back, based on be reassured that any issues are dealt with immediately and effectively by this site. The content of this review were my comments sent to The Hilton Doubletree team who are on our coroporate account.

This was my first experience staying at this hotel and I can safely say it will be my last. Next time it's The Lowry all the way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Asia_De_Cuba
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed at the Doubletree for 3 nights during Manchester Pride, an event that has to be classed as one of the UK's best street parties.

The staff at the hotel went out of their way to make sure the guests felt welcome and we received a warm greeting from everyone at reception, the restaurants and also from the kind and generous housekeeping staff. The location can't be beat if you are arriving by train: within 5-minutes walking from Manchester Piccadilly station and another 5-minute walk to the bars and clubs of Canal Street.

We upgraded to the Executive option, which provided us with a free minibar (!), daily newspaper, breakfast and a late check out of 2pm. We were lucky enough to have been assigned a corner room on a high floor, which judging from the hotel layout, provided us with additional square footage and a cool seating area with great views of the city. Nice and spacious bathroom, but no tub. Lots of good quality towels and toiletries, fresh linens everyday. I also LOVED having a computer in the room with free internet (which doubles as the television) ... a nice touch... especially as the free in-room wifi was touch and go; I had a hard time connecting with my handheld.

The hotel's gym, although small and lacking any free weights, was functional and very clean.

The breakfast buffet was substantial and offered the usual fare, including eggs cooked to order. Lots of fresh fruit on offer, which was appreciated. We did however have a quite disappointing lunch in the hotel's restaurant, which was overpriced and our food was somewhat dead when it arrived at our table: cold fries and limp salad. This being said, the breakfast was pretty good and there are heaps of eating options within minutes of the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again and consider it to be a very solid choice in central Manchester.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Executive room for free minibar, breakfast and a late check out. Also, the corner roo...
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

general comments
these hotels are all pretty similar but hopefully this will be of benefit to someone

we travelled here by train arriving at Manchester Picadilly.
if you leave the station by the London Road exit and look right (up London Road)
you can actually see the back of the hotel which is only a two minute walk
we were welcomed with warm chocolate cookies and went to our room
to be honest I felt that the room was a bit cluttered in that it had a desk and chair and a table and chair. we had just flown into Manchester and neede to iron a couple of things, but with the ironing board up, table and chair, cases etc. we couldnt move.
breakfast was nice with orders for eggs being taken by the waitress and the rest buffet stile
overall, handy for a stopover and quite centrally located.

personally
we didnt have a good stay as we were woken at 2.30 AM with the aircon breaking down and the subsequent fuss of someone trying to disable it in the corridor outside, then someone tried the room door handle which turned out to be someone leaving our bill, on which they had added a charge for £23 for something we hadnt had
but I suppose we all have our own stories to tell

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When I arrived the staff were friendly and very welcoming. My room was unfortuantly not ready but i went to the bar and they offered me a free drink. When i got the room, it was clean and tidy and lovely standard. I will stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Lahore, Pakistan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in the hotel with my wife for two nights from 29th to 31st August 2013. The hotel is situated very close to the Piccadilly Manchester Rail Station and the City Center. The hotel was very clean, calm and quiet. The room was very nice and comfortable. The staff very helpful. The check out was very fast. There was facility even for express check out. We did not dine in the hotel nor used its bar; therefore, I cannot comment on that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel staff were very helpful and the location convenient. The staff did not seem to know a lot about the surrounding location but they were willing to ramp up their computers to find the answers to important questions like where is the best fish and chips nearby (sadly impossible to find a good fish and chips shop in the neighborhood, but the hotel's bar did a fine job with their version of the national favorite). The hotel is clean and convenient for the business traveler. Taxis arrive quickly and Piccadilly Station is a short walk for all ground travel needs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business