DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #18 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here in january for my birthday, for once i didn't book or chose the hotel and it was a surprise. On arrival we were given a warm cookie, it was by far the nicest cookie i have ever had! The staff were lovely, if you bumped into a staff member in the lift they would ask you how you were and if your enjoying your stay, and if you needed anything (taxi's etc). the room was just about the right size, comfy bed and very clean. My partner had paid extra to have rose petals on the bed and a bunch of flowers. They were lovely. The room had a mac in where you could watch TV and go on the internet. Lovely touch. the view wasn't to bad. I went into the piccadilly lounge in the hotel for a bite to eat and a few drinks. The food was lovely and the service was quick. Breakfast was yummy! The plates were a little bit too hot though! couldn't pick it up, had to grab a napkin to hold it. I cant find a fault with this hotel at all, except the TV turned itself on at about 2 am. Which was a little bit scary! I would definitely recommend this hotel and i would quite happily stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,251)

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a business trip to Manchester and it could not have been better in any respect.

The staff were all extremely polite, professional and eager to please. The warm chocolate cookie on arrival was a lovely gesture, as was the free drink voucher for being a HHonors member.

My King Deluxe room was lovely and, as requested, was on a high floor with a view. It was clean and very well-appointed. The hotel is literally opposite Piccadilly railway station so it is a perfect choice if, like me, you are travelling by train.

I couldn't fault anything and will most definitely stay there again when next in Manchester.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here wilth 16 other friends for my mums brithday weekend. The check in was quite slow as they made us all check in by room and not a group. The rooms were lovely and the free cookie they give you is gorgeous! although they are expensive to buy. The bathroom was spotless and all modern. Close to everything. They kept our luggage at the end of our stay to enable us to shop before going home. Staff were very friendly and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This was a very clean, comfortable hotel. I stayed in Jan 2013 and wasn't sure what to expect as I paid less than most other hotels in the area. I was pleasantly surprised, this to me was as good as most 5 star hotels I've stayed in.
The rooms were spacious, clean, comfortable and most importantly to me quiet. The bathroom was as equity as clean and relatively new.
I also stayed for breakfast in the morning and I'm certinally glad I did. The food was tasty, hot and plenty to choose from. There was fruit, yoghurts, full English, cereals etc. The staff throughout my stay were pleasant and helpful.
Would definitely recommend to a friend and I will most certainly be staying here in future.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here in July 2012 and recommended the hotel to our friends from NZ who also stayed for 3 nights. The warm welcome at reception with a warm brownie biscuit was great. We were allocated our respective rooms and the room we were allocated still had the painter in finishing off the painting. Back down to reception where our room was changed smartly.
The rest of the 3 night stay was excellent apart from the housekeeping which still hadn't made our rooms up at 3.00pm!. Again the reception staff came to the rescue and offered us complimentary drinks to apologise.
I will stay here again and continue to recommend this hotel to our friends as the friendliness of the reception staff and location make this my number 1 Manchester hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I admit to booking into this hotel out of convenience rather than choice, as it was handy for a meeting one day, and a quick exit to a train the following morning. Perhaps that's the problem with such places -custom is too easy, and they dont really need to try too hard.

However, I was charged £119 for one night, without any meals, so when i chose to eat there as well, and spend more, i would have hoped for better service. It didn't happen. At about 9 pm i went to the restaurant, which was more than half empty, to be told they were very busy and main meals would take 40 minutes or more. I didn't understand or 'buy' the reason for this - it was not busy.

Short of time, i adjourned to my room, and then decided on room service. I paid £23 for a 'Fully dressed burger' (whatever that means) and a small bottle of beer. The 'fully dressed' burger then arrived, without the dressing i ordered, and with a piece of meat that was no bigger than 2 ounces in size. It was tasty, but small. I filled up on the oversized baguette that came with it.

If hotels like this just want people to book and sleep in the rooms, i fail to understand why they offer food at all. There are plenty of specialist restaurants around this hotel, and i would have preferred to be advised to use them, rather than seduced into using vastly inferior and amateur food and food service facilities on offer at this hotel.

I wont be staying here again, I am afraid.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Miles C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Double tree Manchester is a great place to stay, I stayed on business but would definatley come back for leisure. The rooms are designed very well, all with very comfy beds, quiet rooms, tv is a iMac, the restaurant for breakfast was also lovely food. It's a 3 min walk from Piccadilly rail station so really comveiment. Would recommend a stay here. Great value.

Room Tip: Ask for. Quiet room.