All reviewsoxscience museumcentral manchesterstayed one nightcar parkdeansgatemosi
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyable. The food downstairs is excellent: I enjoyed a roast pigeon with chocolate red cabbage and asparagus tips, and they made me a little side salad of arugula. I felt just like Samuel Johnson, sittin' on top of the world. Free wifi, which is important to me. Centrally located. The room was just fine, though I would have felt safer if there were more than just one hand-operated lock. That is, I felt completely personally safe, but wondered if it'd be okay to leave my laptop in the room during the day. I had to run out and buy my own adaptor (US to UK plug) but that was okay, I'll donate it so they have one to offer foreign visitors from now on. The folks were exceptionally helpful and kind, though if they want to be more serious about out-of-town guests they might consider getting some street maps, tram maps and so forth from the Tourist Bureau to have on hand for rubes like me. There was indeed noise at night, as others have noted, but it was the happy sounds of people downstairs enjoying themselves rather than someone in the next room blaring the tv, so it didn't trouble me; in fact it was a pleasant backdrop against which to drift off to sleep...The people were exceptionally helpful and friendly vis a vis calling cabs for me, etc. The only problem was that they were for the most part doing double duty at the pub so I often felt that I was interrupting important and highpressure restaurant-work in order to get my needs met, but this is not because of the response I got, which was uniformly friendly and obliging. It's just obvious that the hotel is a secondary enterprise so they don't have it all worked out (yet?).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank hyperpoesia
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We arrived mid afternoon, shown to the room by very nice staff. Very clean facilities and comfortable bed. The menu was brilliant - he choose cow's cheek and I had PiriPiri Chicken. Wonderful and reasonably priced. The wine was good too (and not too expensive either). The staff are very accommodating and pleasant with the landlord a 'good fella' too. Enjoyed our stay and will certainly keep it on our list of good places to stay - even recommended it to our own customers going down to Manchester... Close to the venue we were visiting as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I see others have criticized this terrible accommodation. Overpriced, very very noisy (til 3 am) not even any toiletries in the bathroom, dirty linen, paper thin walls, traffic noise. the worst night i have had for many years. dont waste your money.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank lord_pearson
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Stayed here on a Saturday night. All adjacent car parks were full when we arrived at 1330. Check in at the bar cash in advance shown to a door in the entrance lobby and told room 2 up the stairs . The lobby smelled and so did room 2 . Mold on net curtain and mold in the shower. rest of room looked tired. Now if you run a successful pub that has loud music playing until 1 am then you can not have a successful hotel something has to give. We lay in bed from 1130 pm wondering when the nightmare would end. 1 am the music stopped then it was the hand dryers in the toilets as people used the toilet on their way home. Then the usual shouting outside until 3 am when eventually silence ensued only to be broken by someone banging on the pub door wanting access. £70 a night is not good value. Never again

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night. They had no double rooms left, but they gave us a triple room for half price!! Very friendly and great service. Excellent location to CBD, shops, restuarants and pubs. Popular pub and restaurant downstairs with great food. Can be busy so maybe noisy some nights, but we had no problems.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple