“Location could not be more central, good views and comfortable stay”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham
“Location could not be more central, good views and comfortable stay”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked with Hotwire where you only find out where you are staying once you have booked and paid. I was allocated a room at the Mercure which was a pleasant surprise, since it is on the south side of Piccadilly Gardens and therefore at the centre of the city. I had not realised that the entrance is not on Piccadilly Gardens at all, but there is a lobby on Portland Street (which might have saved a few minutes!). I should have remembered, having stayed here before. Up in the lift to reception on the 2nd floor and I was allocated room 821 with a good view, but not too much noise from buses and trams below. A few tram squeals as they turn the corner, but nothing worth worrying about. Room reasonable size, well appointed bathroom, and I slept well. Never got to see the bar or the restaurant since I was booked room only, but checkout was not until 1200 which was good as I went out at 0720 and came back at 1145 to gather my things, and no problem storing the luggage for a few hours. All in all, a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Try Hotwire - there again you may end up somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I thank you for sharing your experience of your booking process via Hotwire and the Hotel in general. I was pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us and look forward to hopefully having the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
stoke on trent
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel a lot better inside than out.staff very friendly and helpful especially mo on reception.frozen glasses when I had a pint and great views of the city really enjoyed our stay good value for money too

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for sharing your experience of our Hotel following your stay with us; it really is appreciated.

On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

my wife and i spent two nights in this fab hotel, the rooms are spacious and clean, the food is of a very high standard and the staff are very friendly, helpful and proffesional, a big thank you to the manager paul who was fantatic, we mentioned we was there for my inlaws golden wedding anniversary, when my inlaws went back to there room there was a card from the staff, a bottle of wine and chocolates, a real touch of class

David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us to celebrate your in-law's Golden Wedding. We were delighted to play a part in your celebration and I'm pleased to hear the gifts were a nice surprise and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Many thanks once again and I do hope if you are ever due to head our way again, that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

most of the staff were quite good, one member of staff in particular was rude to myself and heard her being short with another customer.
You have to pay for parking would have appreciated being told when they sold me an upgraded room.
Upgraded room was a good size furnished good, no complaints about that.
Had dinner in restaurant food was really goood,service was good.
Arrived for breakfast at 9.45am they finish breakfast at 10, had fruit juice and cereal and went to get some hot breakfast and they had closed the curtain over, they were stopping you from helping youself to hot food, even although there were people still eating in the breakfast room.
they did reluctantly open it back up but they should have said as they had just served us toast and tea, we could have gone up a bit sooner. (same member of staff that was rude)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us; it is appreciated. I was pleased to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your time with us. With regard to the levels of customer service you encountered, you have my assurance that your comments will be issued out to the team for investigation and internal action will be taken.

Many thanks once again for your feedback and I do sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Mercure picadilly is a very central hotel in Manchester, located close to shops, bars and restaurants. My first impression of the hotel was very good, when i arrived to check in i was told that the travel operator had booked a double room for me and it was a twin room i had requested, the receptionist changed this without any problems and advised me that to avoid any confusion in future i should put it in the special requests box when booking as operators sometimes make errors.

The room was very cosy with comfy beds and had a flatscreen TV, iron, ironing board, safe and some storage space. There were no sockets at the side of the bed which was a bit frustrating as all the sockets were at the opposite side of the room. The room was quite noisy on the first night as the room faced the street and there are a few bars in the area, however on the second night i figured out that there was a second pane of glass that could be pulled across to drown out the noise and that solved the problem. The room also offered free wifi and had air con.

The room was very well kept, with cleaners coming each day and providing new towels. The room service was also very efficient and the food they provided (at a late hour) was very tasty.

The bar was very pleasant although it closed quite early on the saturday night (maybe im too used to residents bars). The breakfast was in a buffet style and offered things such as bacon, eggs, sausages, cereal, croissants, fruit, juices etc. Each guest was greeted at the door of the restaurant as they entered for breakfast.

On the final day our flight was not leaving until the evening and a friendly receptionist (a small blonde girl) allowed us to leave our baggage in a room which saved us carrying them all day.

In conclusion I would say this is a very friendly hotel which offers nice food and a comfortable room in the heart of manchester and i would certainly recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of our Hotel following your recent stay with us. I thank you too for your recommendation and hope in the not too distant future, we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend whilst we enjoyed a weekend break to Manchester. My very first impression was set by the warm friendly welcome by the receptionist. The room was to a very good standard. Clean, crisp and well laid out. The beds were v comfy. we stayed in a twin room and hoped the beds were not so close together but served the purpose needed.

The restaurant and bar were excellent and had again good service.

The only improvement I would suggest is that when the guest (in my situation) says they have already paid just double check before insisting they hadn't. It seems they had not got all the administration together with this and potentially really could have set a disappointing tone. Thankfully it was resolved shortly afterwards and apologies offered.

Definitely plan to stay here again if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for sharing your experience of our Hotel. My apologies too for the initial confusion over payment of your reservation; I was however pleased to hear it was resolved quickly for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back as and when you next have plans to be in the area.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#22 of 118 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!