“A comfortable stay”

Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Poole, United Kingdom
“A comfortable stay”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure on business for one night last month. The hotel is easy to find, our room was much larger than expected and was very clean. The bathroom looked a little tired looked as if it needed updating but again it was clean. Breakfast was good with a lovely view over the water feature and a great place for people watching! We had a problem with the towels but they were replaced immediately, without any fuss.
I would definately stay here again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your business trip last month; it really is appreciated. I was delighted to read that you would definitely stay with us again and with this in mind, whether it be for business or leisure, I do hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm from Manchester, and whenever I visit family or friends, I sometimes like to stay in a hotel. Gives me a nice 'on holiday' feeling. I had always avoided the previous incarnation of this hotel and certainly never recommended it. However, since it became the Mercure, I thought, why not. The website made is look all fresh and modern, and that is the sort of place I like. I confess, I did get this hotel at a discounted price through work, which is one of the reasons I chose it. But I wasn't disappointed. It really is lovely. My request for a high floor facing Piccadilly Gardens was granted, and I was surprised to find how quiet the room was. You can tell this hotel is still upgrading areas, rooms in particular. Ours, whilst nice and clean, could have done with a little TLC, which no doubt the hotel is getting around to. That said, it was very comfortable and provided us with everything we needed. The staff were all very nice, lovely Northern hospitality, which I expect from my home town. Great location for absolutely everything, especially public transport systems. Didn't dine at the hotel, you don't need to in a major city, but we did try the Champagne Cocktails in their bar, with views overlooking the city, which was a treat. Thank you Mercure.

Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our hotel with your fellow Tripadvisor viewers. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

London
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Central location perfect for or shops and restaurants and situated really close to Piccadilly Station so a very short walk with cases. We stayed there for a gig at the Etihad Stadium and it's ideal. It's not attractive from the outside but it's lovely inside with a fresh neutral finish. The check in staff were friendly, knowledgeable and efficient and helpfully there was a notice board with details for travel options to the stadium. Despite the central location (we stayed on the 11th floor) it was lovely and quiet (no sounds of traffic or noisy revellers). This was a nice surprise as we did expect city noise. We had a twin room and it was large and well equipped with tea and coffee making facilities and a hairdryer. The shower was powerful and the towels fluffy and white. I would definitely stay here again. The aircon wasn't very powerful so we were a little warm.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for maximum quiet if you're not scared of heights. Don't have a room by...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lisa C
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us whilst attending a gig at the Etihad Stadium. As you say, our central location is perfect for getting out and about to explore all that Manchester has to offer. Glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Not the best of starts, long wait for check in at reception, only 2 people on (one of them being a trainee) perhaps staffing levels need to be looked at? When we finally got to the front of the queue we were told that the trainee was busy but we could stand there until he became free?? Seemed more intent on sorting out problems with his IT than customers? Anyway, eventually got checked in and we stayed in the Portland Suite which was very nice. Sack the interior designer (wallpaper in the lounge was dreadful) but everything else was lovely, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. However, the lock was dodgy in the bathroom and I couldn't escape without outside help - rectified this by making sure the lock was on all the time. We were on the 14th floor but it was still quite noisy, but it was a lovely warm evening and it was not too much of a disturbance. We had been to a concert at the MEN so we were back quite late. Bit surprised with 'unwanted' early morning call from Housekeeping at around 8.45, I presume that they wanted to make a start to the days cleaning - would have been nice to wait until we checked out? However, did not let them in and told them to come back after we had gone. Went for breakfast and there were only a few people in the restaurant area. It was a beautiful day and despite having 4 tables free in the window we were advised that these tables were not 'available' and told to sit in the middle of the restaurant. The only problem that I could see was that the tables had not been cleared. By the time that the waitress brought us coffee a few minutes later the tables had been cleared and the hostess started to seat people at the tables in the window - I would have been prepared to wait a few minutes for them to be cleared and I was annoyed that the hostess did not accommodate us! We were also only given 2 slices of toast between 2 of us and the person on the next table to us got 2 slices just to himself. I know it seems petty but it was as though the staff really couldn't be bothered. The breakfast was not that good either, congealed egg and only just warm. The pastries tasted like they had been left out for a couple of days too. On checked out, again there was a queue. I realised that there was a fast check out procedure but I wanted to ask a question. Again only 2 people on. Was again surprised that the staff would rather answer the telephone than deal with the customers who were in front of them, particularly as one of the customers was an elderly lady with a walking stick who had to wait until the receptionist finished with the phone call first! When we got to the car it had a sticker on saying that we were parked and could possibly be clamped despite giving our registration the night before. Like I said in the title, really great room at a decent price, hotel itself in a great location, feel like the staff in part let the experience down...

Room Tip: Portland Suite on the top floor is very nice and bed super comfortable, just avoid looking at the wa...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It was extremely disappointing to read that you felt that the team let the side down on this occasion. As you can see from previous reviews, we do get many positive comments regarding the friendliness, willingness and helpfulness of the team; I am only too sorry that you believe that this was not the case on this occasion.

Knowing that the Hotel was full due to several events taking place in the City, we had covered the front desk with a full reception team plus concierge service and therefore it surprised me greatly to read that only two people were on the desk when you checked in. As with any busy check in or check out, a stagger of guests would always be welcome but unfortunately on occasions this is not always the case and you will find guests arriving at the front desk at same time and as such, queues can occur. As mentioned, as we knew the hotel was full, we had rota'd a full team on duty in order to make the check in and out process as quick and smooth as possible.

I am sorry that we failed to impress in terms of your breakfast experience. We've not received any other adverse feedback over the weekend in question but I will certainly share your comments with both my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, who always welcome the opinion of our guests.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope sometime in the future you may give us another opportunity and allow us to provide you with an overall positive experience.

lancaster
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Mercure - the first night was horrendous as I could hear virtually every word that was spoken in the room next door, and this couple were not arguing!. The walls must be paper thin. The following night was fine as I think the adjoining room was empty. Breakfast was good, staff were friendly and helpful and the room was small but satisfactory.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your two night stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that your first night was disturbed as a resuilt of noise transfer from the room next door to you; my apologies. As stated previously, we are aware that noise transfer can be an issue in a number of our bedrooms and we have been working alongside a specialist company who have suggested works which may help improve this. Sample rooms have been created and following the monitoring of guest feedback, we will then make a decision on the best way forward. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and found the team friendly and helpful, and going forward, I do hope that on a future visit to the City, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night, Saturday to watch the Muse concert playing at the Stadium. We have a camper van and thought we would have a nightmare parking and getting it up the parking ramp. When I told the member of staff helping people out front, near reception he couldn't have been more helpful. He helped watch the van up and even picked a good spot for the van. Then the next morning he helped us out. He was extremely helpful, as were all members of staff. I personally rate this very highly and would rather pay more for good service.
The hotel was very clean and the room was really nice, with fantastic views of Manchester. We had a Superior and it had a double bed with sofa/TV etc. I would definitely come to this hotel again if we were staying in Manchester. It was the cheapest option from a few of similar class in the City. I thought it was worth the money.

Room Tip: Get a Superior Double facing the Square.
1 Thank Jodes1976
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review following your stay with us for the Muse concert at the Etihad Stadium. Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I thank you for sharing your experience. I am aware of the team member concerned who assisted you with entering and exiting the car park and I will certainly share your feedback with him. Great customer service is indeed without doubt very important in our business and I am so pleased that the team were able to demonstrate this to you on this occasion.

On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and if you are ever heading our way again in your camper van, then please do ring ahead when we would be delighted to assist once again.

Ireland
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night during a recent trip to Manchester. We chose this hotel over other similar hotels due to the good rate we got. Its in a central location overlooking Piccadilly Gardens. We had a great view from our hotel of the Gardens and the wider city area - nice to watch the hustle and bustle from your window of people going by!. Room was adequate, nothing too fancy but very clean and had a nice powerful shower. We didn't eat in the hotel but did have a drink in the bar which again, had great views of the city through large windows which was nice. The staff were very helpful and were good for recommendations of where to eat and drink around the city. I note others comments re the noise in the hotel - I have to say it didn't bother us too much and wasn't excessive. Although the maids were around very early in the morning and knocked on our door in error - which they were very apologetic about. Overall I would recommend this hotel due to its central location and friendly staff, accommodation was pretty good too for a one or two night stay. There's a good choice of hotels within the city and from what I saw, all the main ones are pretty central. However, I did enjoy the stay in the Mercure and would choose this hotel again if I got the same good rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors to enjoy views of the city
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dee_202
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your one night stay with us.

Our central location is indeed something that our guests do find of great benefit and the views from our Hotel, whether it be from our Restaurant or our bedroom windows, are also commented on positively.

As you say there are many hotels in the City to choose from but I'm pleased to hear that as you enjoyed your stay on this occasion, you would choose to stay with us again. With this in mind, we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.