“Man UTD”

Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Derby, United Kingdom
“Man UTD”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Perfect location for Old Trafford. The tram stops on the main square behind hotel, and on a weekend is only GBP1.00 return. Location also great for restaurants and bars. Staff at the hotel are polite and knowledgable and will help with anything. The breakfast is also ample, and swift coffee and toast service is with you before you have a go at the full English buffet service. Continental also available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel following your stay with us; it is appreciated.

On a future visit to the City, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The room was quite spacious and the bed was comfortable. However, the walls are thin and even on the 12th floor I could hear banging outside at half five in the morning. Wifi is £8 per 24 hours however it is not just the price that is shameful - the internet connection was poor which meant I couldn't do my work. There was a large window which could have presented a good view however they were grubby. The bathroom was clean but so many tiles were cracked. I don't think I would have been so picky if it was in the budget category but it bills itself as more. Disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, please accept my apologies. All feedback from whatever means is always used constructively, so I thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Just to clarify our WIFI charges. We are delighted to be able to offer our guests full Free WIFI in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms and this free useage is available upto 256mg. For those guests wishing to upgrade to high speed then a cost does apply. Mercure Hotels are transparent with regard to all their charges and we are unable to alter these at hotel level, however, I can assure you that we are competitively priced again other hotels in the city.

Thanks again for your review and do hope sometime in the future you may give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 13 nights in February as I was on business in Manchester. There was a big group of us yet Martin, Rick and Gabi took the time to get to know us all by name and were always willing to go the extra mile to help us with anything we needed during our stay... Unfortunately 1 memember of staff managed to let the hotel down on more than one occasion but simply for the way the three of them dealt with everyone of these situations I would definately stay at the hotel again. I have to I promised Martin I would be back for afternoon tea soon!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest

It was an absolute delight to receive such positive feedback regarding the high level of customer service, care and delivery that was afforded to you by Martin, Rick & Gabi in The Brasserie during your time with us in February. It will certainly give me great pleasure to share your kind feedback with them and I know they will be equally as delighted as I was to receive it. On the downside, it was disappointing to hear that one member of the team managed to let the side down and I would be interested to receive your feedback on why this was the case. Please feel free to contact me personally if you wish to share this experience with me.

I am sure that Martin would like you to keep your promise that you'll be back to experience our Afternoon tea (!) and with this in mind, hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Co. Durham
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed one night Saturday to Sunday as we were attending the theatre.
Check in was fast and efficient and all of the staff I encountered on my trip were friendly and more than happy to help. Short walk away from Picadilly train station so we just walked there and back - no need for a taxi, 5 min walk to arndale and shops.
We didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment on that.
Room wasn't huge but big enough for the 2 of us and our luggage. Bathroom was clean and tea and coffee facilities provided. The room was facing the busy street so there was noise when we came back from the theatre at around 11pm. This didn't stop us from sleeping and was expected due to the location of the hotel. The only other thing is you couldn't see out of the window which was a shame.
Would definitely return though.
And again would just like to highlight the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff I encountered.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blondie-traveller01
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us. It was pleasing to read your feedback and your comments regarding the helpfulness and friendlines of the team are much appreciated and will be shared accordingly with them all. On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was staying at this hotel for an overnight stay with some friends. It is in the city center with the trams and buses just outside.

The double room we had was a bit small but for 1 night was OK. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and the staff very helpful. Parking is a good price only £10 for the day and £15 overnight, the NCP charges £24 for the day.

The breakfast has a good choice with a chef on hand to make fresh omelets.

If I had one negative comment was the noise from outside even though the rooms are double glazed there was lot of noise from the trams and people below.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul H
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel following your recent stay. I was pleased to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your time with us. As a City Centre Hotel, located next to Piccadilly bus and tram station, noise transfer on occasions from outside the building can be of a disturbance to some guests who may not be used to such an environment. If a guest does have a preference for a quieter room, then we would recommend rooms at the back of the hotel.

Many thanks once again for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope on a future visit to the City, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Booked this on corporate rate for business.
Needed to be central Manchester & this hit the price point & location.
Massive plus points are on site parking & central location – negative points – didn't really find any apart from a bit of a wait to be seated for breakfast.
Room on the 11th floor so nice view spoiled a bit by condensation on outer window glass.
Initially a bit cold but easy to use temperature control soon raised warmth level.
Not a massive room but more than adequate with comfy bed, decent TV, tea & coffee facilities and en suite bath/shower etc.
Unusually ate in the hotel as would normally go to China Town but too tired. Restaurant has a lovely view over Piccadilly gardens. It was almost empty at 8:00 pm so I had my pick of tables next to big window with a great view. I was served by a nice, tall Czech waitress who as well as taking my order, offered a newspaper – nice thought for a lone diner. She was also knowledgeable about some of the buildings we were overlooking.as well as helping the guy behind me set up his wifi.
Beefburger & wedges very nice although pre advised tomato relish had run out.
Breakfast was a very good buffet selection but had to wait in a queue or quite a while prior to being seated.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly. I was pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found our central location & car parking in particular a great positive. Glad to hear that you would stay with us again and with this in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

HK
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Good location except not closing to train station, but easily connect to everywhere u wanna go. Room is a bit old, esp toilet, but still acceptable.
Was there for Manchester United, and hotel staff are so helpful to indicate how to go there, easy and good!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay. Our central location is indeed extremely popular for guests wishing to get out and about to explore all that Manchester has to offer. Although we are not directly by the main Railway Stations, we are only a 5 min walk from Piccadilly Railway Station and a 15 minute walk from Victoria Station. There is also a tram that you can jump on from Victoria Station, that drops you directly outside the hotel.

Many thanks for your kind comment regarding the helpfulness of the team. I trust that sometime in the future we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#21 of 116 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!