“ok hotel for the price”

Ranked #64 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“ok hotel for the price”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

my partner and i picked this hotel after staying at a mercure in nottingham, on arrival entered hotel to find location for parking, staff speaking in broking english on desk, not great on directions decided to park at the double tree hilton and wak to the hotel. on returning to the hotel at 1.45 told to early to check in for 2pm. so were ask to leave our bags and return at 2pm. on doing this we returned to a long check in queue. staff seemed under pressure, although very friendly and apologetic about the wait. got into room for about 2.45 room lovely very clean. lifts a little annoying only to go to 5th floor lifts only holding maybe 4 people with baggage. breakfast next day was £7.50 per person buffet style,not lots of choice, not brilliant but did the job for the price seating area clean, good views, waiting staff very friendly efficient. did prefer the mecure in nottingham but for what we payed location was the best bit about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank enncle
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations to the full. All feedback from whatever media is used constructively, so I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Many thanks once again and I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The young man on the breakfast reception was very courteous and escorted you to your seat and made sure everything ran satisfactorily. He was off on Sunday and a lady was doing the same job but obviously did not give a stuff about her job are the guests. The third morning we were there the waitress kept delaying bringing the coffee. It only dawned on me when I left that this was because she wanted tipped. At 10 pound per head the breakfasts are not cheap for a fry up.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was pleased to hear that on your first visit to the Restaurant for breakfast, the operation ran smoothly and the young man looking after you was very courteous.

It did however concern me greatly to hear that this wasn’t the case for the remainder of your stay and you believed also that the Waitress on duty on the 3rd morning was delaying service in order to receive a tip. In my time as General Manager at the Hotel, this is the first time I have ever received a comment regarding the Restaurant team blatantly looking for tips and I would be very disappointed with them if this was indeed the case. Your thoughts however will of course be shared with both my Operations Manager and Restaurant Manager, who will I know address this matter to ensure future guests never receive such an impression.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and on a future visit to Manchester, I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your faith in us.

Koblenz, Germany
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The location is fantastic, five mins from the train station, China Town and the shops. The staff are great, I had arrived too early to check in but it wasn't a problem. I had a room on the 10th floor which was clean but a bit smelly- sort of damp and old.

The view was great but there was considerable condensation on the windows so I couldn't see out without some serious wiping with a towel first.

My main concern was, like others have already said, the walls are incredibly thin and you can hear EVERYTHING your neighbours are doing!

Room Tip: Definitely face Picadilly gardens if you can get a room on the higher levels. The view is amazing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. Firstly, I was pleased to hear that you found our central location fantastic and the team great.

With regard to sound proofing and condensation. We have been aware over the winter months that condensation has been an issue in some of our rooms. We are looking at ways to resolve this and at the same time, we are hopeful the works proposed around our window areas will also aid sound proofing between rooms.

Many thanks once again for your review and trust on a future visit to the City we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great central location, good sized rooms with plenty of space for a desk and a sofa.

Rooms were clean and tidy.

Breakfast was very good and there was a nice view of Piccadilly gardens from the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly hotel following your recent stay; it really is appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed in the Mercure Picadilly in Manchester on Thursday 14th February....Unfortunately I was taken ill on my trip and I have to say the staff at the hotel could not have done more for me. They acted quickly, professionally and most importantly in a friendly manner that made me feel at ease and diffused what could have been a really dreadful situation.
The staff are not only courteous and attentive but knowledgeable and approachable. This hotel may not have an official 5 star rating but they provide a 5 star service!!!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone for business or for pleasure and have now made this my hotel of choice whenever I am in the North West area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and airy and give a really nice seperate space for work purposes and eating...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks for sharing your experience with me. I was sorry to hear that you fell ill during your during your stay with us; I trust you are much better now. It goes without saying that I was delighted to hear that the team reacted in such a great manner and that you felt they couldn’t have done more for you. I will certainly share your kind feedback with them.

It was delighted to hear also your recommendation and that you will now make the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel your first choice Hotel in the North West. With this in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Computers were down and were told to stay away as long as possible. Not a good start but these things cannot be helped and at least we could leave our bags there.

Real problems arose at 1am with the couple next door arguing and fighting which spilled out into the corridor outside our room. It was violent and to be fair management and security were quick to arrive after we'd phoned them.

The couple were, despite waking everyone up with their atrocious behaviour, allowed to stay. Low and behold it kicked off again at 6am, with our front door also being on the receiving end this time.

I have never had a worse night in a hotel in all my life. It was my wife's 30th and our stay in the Mercure ruined what should've been a great night away.

We complained at reception in the morning but were offered nothing but a half interested apology.

I understand the hotel is not responsible for the people who book it but their decision to allow them to stay, added with the thinnest interior walls I have ever seen in a hotel, made for an extremely poor stay. The thin walls are a serious issue here and I would be very reluctant to book again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank MerchantNavy84
Dear Guests

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, my apologies for the delay that you encountered at check in as a result of all our computer systems being down; I thank you for your patience.

I was however extremely sorry to hear that you were involved in disturbances caused by another guest. Unfortunately, on occasions, you do find that some guests are not as considerate as others and make a complete nuisance of themselves to other guests. We do not tolerate such behaviour and as such, should a situation be highlighted to us, or the team come across a situation during their walk rounds of the building, they are trained and instructed to take the appropriate action to bring any situation to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned. I am aware of the incident on this occasion and understand that the team immediately reacted to the first call and the guests in question were told in no uncertain terms that should they continue, they would be evicted from the hotel. I believe the situation calmed down but I am only too sorry that 6am the noise disturbance started again and you were consequently disturbed again.

I am pleased to say that this sort of behaviour is not a common occurrence at the hotel and although I appreciate your experience on this occasion marred your wife's birthday celebration, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact me personally at that time.

David Daly

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels