“Great staff, room a bit disappointing...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #60 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Koblenz, Germany
“Great staff, room a bit disappointing...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The location is fantastic, five mins from the train station, China Town and the shops. The staff are great, I had arrived too early to check in but it wasn't a problem. I had a room on the 10th floor which was clean but a bit smelly- sort of damp and old.

The view was great but there was considerable condensation on the windows so I couldn't see out without some serious wiping with a towel first.

My main concern was, like others have already said, the walls are incredibly thin and you can hear EVERYTHING your neighbours are doing!

Room Tip: Definitely face Picadilly gardens if you can get a room on the higher levels. The view is amazing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. Firstly, I was pleased to hear that you found our central location fantastic and the team great.

With regard to sound proofing and condensation. We have been aware over the winter months that condensation has been an issue in some of our rooms. We are looking at ways to resolve this and at the same time, we are hopeful the works proposed around our window areas will also aid sound proofing between rooms.

Many thanks once again for your review and trust on a future visit to the City we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great central location, good sized rooms with plenty of space for a desk and a sofa.

Rooms were clean and tidy.

Breakfast was very good and there was a nice view of Piccadilly gardens from the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly hotel following your recent stay; it really is appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed in the Mercure Picadilly in Manchester on Thursday 14th February....Unfortunately I was taken ill on my trip and I have to say the staff at the hotel could not have done more for me. They acted quickly, professionally and most importantly in a friendly manner that made me feel at ease and diffused what could have been a really dreadful situation.
The staff are not only courteous and attentive but knowledgeable and approachable. This hotel may not have an official 5 star rating but they provide a 5 star service!!!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone for business or for pleasure and have now made this my hotel of choice whenever I am in the North West area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and airy and give a really nice seperate space for work purposes and eating...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks for sharing your experience with me. I was sorry to hear that you fell ill during your during your stay with us; I trust you are much better now. It goes without saying that I was delighted to hear that the team reacted in such a great manner and that you felt they couldn’t have done more for you. I will certainly share your kind feedback with them.

It was delighted to hear also your recommendation and that you will now make the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel your first choice Hotel in the North West. With this in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Computers were down and were told to stay away as long as possible. Not a good start but these things cannot be helped and at least we could leave our bags there.

Real problems arose at 1am with the couple next door arguing and fighting which spilled out into the corridor outside our room. It was violent and to be fair management and security were quick to arrive after we'd phoned them.

The couple were, despite waking everyone up with their atrocious behaviour, allowed to stay. Low and behold it kicked off again at 6am, with our front door also being on the receiving end this time.

I have never had a worse night in a hotel in all my life. It was my wife's 30th and our stay in the Mercure ruined what should've been a great night away.

We complained at reception in the morning but were offered nothing but a half interested apology.

I understand the hotel is not responsible for the people who book it but their decision to allow them to stay, added with the thinnest interior walls I have ever seen in a hotel, made for an extremely poor stay. The thin walls are a serious issue here and I would be very reluctant to book again.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MerchantNavy84
Dear Guests

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, my apologies for the delay that you encountered at check in as a result of all our computer systems being down; I thank you for your patience.

I was however extremely sorry to hear that you were involved in disturbances caused by another guest. Unfortunately, on occasions, you do find that some guests are not as considerate as others and make a complete nuisance of themselves to other guests. We do not tolerate such behaviour and as such, should a situation be highlighted to us, or the team come across a situation during their walk rounds of the building, they are trained and instructed to take the appropriate action to bring any situation to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned. I am aware of the incident on this occasion and understand that the team immediately reacted to the first call and the guests in question were told in no uncertain terms that should they continue, they would be evicted from the hotel. I believe the situation calmed down but I am only too sorry that 6am the noise disturbance started again and you were consequently disturbed again.

I am pleased to say that this sort of behaviour is not a common occurrence at the hotel and although I appreciate your experience on this occasion marred your wife's birthday celebration, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact me personally at that time.

David Daly

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I guess when you rate this hotel you have to break it down in order to appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly (if all three things happen to manifest themselves during your stay).

My wife, a friend and I took advantage of a very good rate to book two rooms while recently attending a concert in Manchester. The hotel is very well located in the centre of Manchester, which means getting to and fro is quite easy with access to all sorts of public transport at the foot of the door. Parking is also provided (at a charge), which is good if you are driving into Manchester (just beware the endless array of one way streets, otherwise you will end up driving around in circles).

Check in was quick and efficient, and the staff were courteous, though busy (it was peak hour when we arrived). The only minus point was that we opted to pay for Breakfast for the following morning in advance, and though we were billed for it, we did not appear on the list at the Brasserie the following morning. We did have a receipt to prove we had been charged for it, and the Maitre d' was very helpful.

The rooms were quite...dated. Comfortable, mind you, which at the end of the whole shebang is just what you want after a night standing in a crowded concert venue. We had seen photos of the rooms on TripAdvisor before arriving, and didn't really know what to expect. Some of the rooms looked really nice, others looked quite the opposite. Our room on the 9th floor felt very dated (1980s dated), though the bed was comfortable and it had all the usual amenities (the kettle was quickly replaced when we asked for it as the one supplied was faulty). There were, however, small but annoying things all over the place. The loo (toilet) sounded like a propeller aircraft taking off when you pulled the chain. While the shower pressure was wonderful, the shower head was so low I spent most of the time couching to shower, and I am not a giant, barely cracking the 6 foot mark. There were small mould spots on the bathtub and a previous guest had probably dyed their hair right fluorescent pink in the bath, so there were streaks of pink al over. There was also a slightly worrying and noticeable dark brown drip stain running down the frame of the access panel to the AC above the entry hall. But the one thing that really bugged me was the windows. Being a 70's building, the original windows were single glazed. Their answer to this problem was to seal the room by double glazing the near part of the window sill, leaving a semi-sealed 'greenhouse' about 10 inches wide between the new double glazed window frame and the original window. If you wanted to open the window to get fresh air, you would have to open the double glazed window and reach in to the middle bit to then open the original single glazed window to reach the outside.

But the sheer amount of mould and accumulated dirt and grime made that proposition a no-no. It was just filthy. And for all the glazing and being 9 floors up, AND having been to a concert (which meant your hearing is probably about 50-60%), we could still clearly hear the noise of the buses from the street below. Still, the bed was nice enough and we were sufficiently tired that after a few minutes it did not matter.

As a side note regarding the bed, my wife wasn't a fan of the fact that our kind size mattress ended up being two single mattresses in a king size bed frame and I can kind of agree with her on the issue...but I still slept well.

Breakfast the following morning (incident asides) was quite good. It was an open buffet, with hot and cold plates, cereals, breads and the like, and the view out (the Brasserie is on the 3rd floor) of Manchester City Centre is hard to beat. Service was quick and efficient, and the Maitre d' was always helpful. The staff were courteous, but inexplicably a little worn out.

As I mentioned at the start, at the end of it all, all we really wanted was a comfortable place to crash for the night, and in that respect, the Mercure duly delivered. If you are looking for a place to 'kip over' for a night on the town, then it is ideal. But you couldn't escape all the small things that made what had the potential to be a great experience simply an average one.

1 Thank AjiChombo
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your recent stay.

Guest feedback is extremely important to us, as not only does it allow us to monitor our performance in terms of service, delivery and standards, but also from a product point of view, aids our case when we wish to make improvements to the hotel. I thank you therefore for sharing your honest and constructive feedback with me.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and sincerely hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

When we arrived at about 11 am we were told that we wouldn't be able to check into our room until 2pm, which was OK as we were able to leave our luggage, however when we returned at about 4.30 pm the reception area was busy and we had to queue, as the computer system was down. The first room we were sent to was already occupied, so we had to go back to reception and queue once more. We were then allocated to another room. The staff members were apologetic and very mannerly throughout, however, due to the fact that many other guests were also being sent to occupied rooms, there was an unprecedented number of guests trying to use the lifts.. and since one of the three lifts was out of order it took ages to get to the rooms. I timed it - we had to wait 10 minutes for a lift at one point!

The room was spotlessly clean and modern, as was the bathroom. I have stayed in larger rooms in similarly priced hotels. We were staying for two nights, so it was OK, however if we'd been staying for much longer the room would have seemed small.

Breakfast was good - dining room was spacious, with views over Piccadilly Gardens. Again, the staff were all very friendly and mannerly.

The location of this hotel is its strongest selling point as it is right beside the Manchester Visitor Information building, next to the bus and tram stops and beside Piccadilly Gardens.

There are several shops selling drinks, sweets, etc nearby as well as a M&S food shop, all within 100 years.

If I was planning to return to Manchester I'd stay in this hotel again. I used Tesco vouchers to pay for this accommodation - making it a bargain.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

My apologies that you were caught up in the unforeseen situation when our computers crashed last weekend. It was indeed a challenging time for the team, as a result of having to revert back to manual 'pen and paper' systems for checking in and out guests and I do appeciate that at times delays and errors did occur. Coupled with this scenario, we also had one lift fail on us, which consequently led to pressure being placed on the other two lifts; I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thankfully all our systems are back up and running as they should and therefore on a future visit , which I hope you will, you fill find that normal service has resumed.

Many thanks once again for your review and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

workington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

stayed 2 nights room not serviced at all - service staff english VERY poor asked for some tea and coffee sachets and ended up with loads of tea coffee milk and sugar sachets (enough for a weeks stay!) service staff could not understand us bar staff had a language problem as well the only excellent member of staff was the lady who signed us in for breakfast''' very welcoming and polite and english spoken! nothing was too much trouble for her would not stay here again as didnt feel welcome and staff didnt know what they were doing BAD EXPERIENCE AT HOTEL but the LION KING SHOW made up for the hotel
manager was out of his depth some people on our trip were not booked in until after show at midnight as rooms not ready he said to check with housekeeping and wiped his hands from the chaos
find another hotel!

Room Tip: dont go we were on the top floor 14 and we were supposed to have a good view of the city we would ha...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It goes without saying that I was saddened to receive your review. Our aim is always to ensure that our guests are welcomed and looked after throughout their time with us and I am only too sorry if you felt this was not the case on this occasion.

You may have been aware during your time with us, that we did have a challenge on our hands, as a result of our reservations system totally crashing and as such, the whole hotel had to revert to a manual system over the weekend in question. Throughout this unfortunate scenario, the team at the hotel worked relentlessly, however, I am aware issues did occur and apologies were given to guests if their check-in was not seamless and we thanked them for their patience too for their understanding of the situation we were facing.

As an International Hotel, we welcome many International visitors and we also employ team members from different countries too. With a diverse team in place, this does help us on occasions with language barriers we may sometimes come across, however, at interview stage, we do also look for a good grasp of the English language, as this is obviously very important to.

Thank you once again for your review and I am only too sorry that the unforeseen circumstances we faced during your time with us, has unfortunately resulted in you receiving a poor impression of us. I do hope sometime in the future you will give us another opportunity in order that we may have the chance to restore your faith in us.