“Nice hotel. Bad neighbours. Dreadfully thin walls.”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Nice hotel. Bad neighbours. Dreadfully thin walls.”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Computers were down and were told to stay away as long as possible. Not a good start but these things cannot be helped and at least we could leave our bags there.

Real problems arose at 1am with the couple next door arguing and fighting which spilled out into the corridor outside our room. It was violent and to be fair management and security were quick to arrive after we'd phoned them.

The couple were, despite waking everyone up with their atrocious behaviour, allowed to stay. Low and behold it kicked off again at 6am, with our front door also being on the receiving end this time.

I have never had a worse night in a hotel in all my life. It was my wife's 30th and our stay in the Mercure ruined what should've been a great night away.

We complained at reception in the morning but were offered nothing but a half interested apology.

I understand the hotel is not responsible for the people who book it but their decision to allow them to stay, added with the thinnest interior walls I have ever seen in a hotel, made for an extremely poor stay. The thin walls are a serious issue here and I would be very reluctant to book again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank MerchantNavy84
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, my apologies for the delay that you encountered at check in as a result of all our computer systems being down; I thank you for your patience.

I was however extremely sorry to hear that you were involved in disturbances caused by another guest. Unfortunately, on occasions, you do find that some guests are not as considerate as others and make a complete nuisance of themselves to other guests. We do not tolerate such behaviour and as such, should a situation be highlighted to us, or the team come across a situation during their walk rounds of the building, they are trained and instructed to take the appropriate action to bring any situation to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned. I am aware of the incident on this occasion and understand that the team immediately reacted to the first call and the guests in question were told in no uncertain terms that should they continue, they would be evicted from the hotel. I believe the situation calmed down but I am only too sorry that 6am the noise disturbance started again and you were consequently disturbed again.

I am pleased to say that this sort of behaviour is not a common occurrence at the hotel and although I appreciate your experience on this occasion marred your wife's birthday celebration, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact me personally at that time.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I guess when you rate this hotel you have to break it down in order to appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly (if all three things happen to manifest themselves during your stay).

My wife, a friend and I took advantage of a very good rate to book two rooms while recently attending a concert in Manchester. The hotel is very well located in the centre of Manchester, which means getting to and fro is quite easy with access to all sorts of public transport at the foot of the door. Parking is also provided (at a charge), which is good if you are driving into Manchester (just beware the endless array of one way streets, otherwise you will end up driving around in circles).

Check in was quick and efficient, and the staff were courteous, though busy (it was peak hour when we arrived). The only minus point was that we opted to pay for Breakfast for the following morning in advance, and though we were billed for it, we did not appear on the list at the Brasserie the following morning. We did have a receipt to prove we had been charged for it, and the Maitre d' was very helpful.

The rooms were quite...dated. Comfortable, mind you, which at the end of the whole shebang is just what you want after a night standing in a crowded concert venue. We had seen photos of the rooms on TripAdvisor before arriving, and didn't really know what to expect. Some of the rooms looked really nice, others looked quite the opposite. Our room on the 9th floor felt very dated (1980s dated), though the bed was comfortable and it had all the usual amenities (the kettle was quickly replaced when we asked for it as the one supplied was faulty). There were, however, small but annoying things all over the place. The loo (toilet) sounded like a propeller aircraft taking off when you pulled the chain. While the shower pressure was wonderful, the shower head was so low I spent most of the time couching to shower, and I am not a giant, barely cracking the 6 foot mark. There were small mould spots on the bathtub and a previous guest had probably dyed their hair right fluorescent pink in the bath, so there were streaks of pink al over. There was also a slightly worrying and noticeable dark brown drip stain running down the frame of the access panel to the AC above the entry hall. But the one thing that really bugged me was the windows. Being a 70's building, the original windows were single glazed. Their answer to this problem was to seal the room by double glazing the near part of the window sill, leaving a semi-sealed 'greenhouse' about 10 inches wide between the new double glazed window frame and the original window. If you wanted to open the window to get fresh air, you would have to open the double glazed window and reach in to the middle bit to then open the original single glazed window to reach the outside.

But the sheer amount of mould and accumulated dirt and grime made that proposition a no-no. It was just filthy. And for all the glazing and being 9 floors up, AND having been to a concert (which meant your hearing is probably about 50-60%), we could still clearly hear the noise of the buses from the street below. Still, the bed was nice enough and we were sufficiently tired that after a few minutes it did not matter.

As a side note regarding the bed, my wife wasn't a fan of the fact that our kind size mattress ended up being two single mattresses in a king size bed frame and I can kind of agree with her on the issue...but I still slept well.

Breakfast the following morning (incident asides) was quite good. It was an open buffet, with hot and cold plates, cereals, breads and the like, and the view out (the Brasserie is on the 3rd floor) of Manchester City Centre is hard to beat. Service was quick and efficient, and the Maitre d' was always helpful. The staff were courteous, but inexplicably a little worn out.

As I mentioned at the start, at the end of it all, all we really wanted was a comfortable place to crash for the night, and in that respect, the Mercure duly delivered. If you are looking for a place to 'kip over' for a night on the town, then it is ideal. But you couldn't escape all the small things that made what had the potential to be a great experience simply an average one.

1 Thank AjiChombo
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your recent stay.

Guest feedback is extremely important to us, as not only does it allow us to monitor our performance in terms of service, delivery and standards, but also from a product point of view, aids our case when we wish to make improvements to the hotel. I thank you therefore for sharing your honest and constructive feedback with me.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and sincerely hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

When we arrived at about 11 am we were told that we wouldn't be able to check into our room until 2pm, which was OK as we were able to leave our luggage, however when we returned at about 4.30 pm the reception area was busy and we had to queue, as the computer system was down. The first room we were sent to was already occupied, so we had to go back to reception and queue once more. We were then allocated to another room. The staff members were apologetic and very mannerly throughout, however, due to the fact that many other guests were also being sent to occupied rooms, there was an unprecedented number of guests trying to use the lifts.. and since one of the three lifts was out of order it took ages to get to the rooms. I timed it - we had to wait 10 minutes for a lift at one point!

The room was spotlessly clean and modern, as was the bathroom. I have stayed in larger rooms in similarly priced hotels. We were staying for two nights, so it was OK, however if we'd been staying for much longer the room would have seemed small.

Breakfast was good - dining room was spacious, with views over Piccadilly Gardens. Again, the staff were all very friendly and mannerly.

The location of this hotel is its strongest selling point as it is right beside the Manchester Visitor Information building, next to the bus and tram stops and beside Piccadilly Gardens.

There are several shops selling drinks, sweets, etc nearby as well as a M&S food shop, all within 100 years.

If I was planning to return to Manchester I'd stay in this hotel again. I used Tesco vouchers to pay for this accommodation - making it a bargain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

My apologies that you were caught up in the unforeseen situation when our computers crashed last weekend. It was indeed a challenging time for the team, as a result of having to revert back to manual 'pen and paper' systems for checking in and out guests and I do appeciate that at times delays and errors did occur. Coupled with this scenario, we also had one lift fail on us, which consequently led to pressure being placed on the other two lifts; I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thankfully all our systems are back up and running as they should and therefore on a future visit , which I hope you will, you fill find that normal service has resumed.

Many thanks once again for your review and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

workington
Reviewed February 18, 2013

stayed 2 nights room not serviced at all - service staff english VERY poor asked for some tea and coffee sachets and ended up with loads of tea coffee milk and sugar sachets (enough for a weeks stay!) service staff could not understand us bar staff had a language problem as well the only excellent member of staff was the lady who signed us in for breakfast''' very welcoming and polite and english spoken! nothing was too much trouble for her would not stay here again as didnt feel welcome and staff didnt know what they were doing BAD EXPERIENCE AT HOTEL but the LION KING SHOW made up for the hotel
manager was out of his depth some people on our trip were not booked in until after show at midnight as rooms not ready he said to check with housekeeping and wiped his hands from the chaos
find another hotel!

Room Tip: dont go we were on the top floor 14 and we were supposed to have a good view of the city we would ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It goes without saying that I was saddened to receive your review. Our aim is always to ensure that our guests are welcomed and looked after throughout their time with us and I am only too sorry if you felt this was not the case on this occasion.

You may have been aware during your time with us, that we did have a challenge on our hands, as a result of our reservations system totally crashing and as such, the whole hotel had to revert to a manual system over the weekend in question. Throughout this unfortunate scenario, the team at the hotel worked relentlessly, however, I am aware issues did occur and apologies were given to guests if their check-in was not seamless and we thanked them for their patience too for their understanding of the situation we were facing.

As an International Hotel, we welcome many International visitors and we also employ team members from different countries too. With a diverse team in place, this does help us on occasions with language barriers we may sometimes come across, however, at interview stage, we do also look for a good grasp of the English language, as this is obviously very important to.

Thank you once again for your review and I am only too sorry that the unforeseen circumstances we faced during your time with us, has unfortunately resulted in you receiving a poor impression of us. I do hope sometime in the future you will give us another opportunity in order that we may have the chance to restore your faith in us.

David Daly

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here for a long Valentine's weekend (3 nights) with my husband and our one year old daughter. What a great choice we made: not only the hotel enjoys a central location but also it has some lovely people working there. Nothing was ever too much trouble for these people - Joanna who works at the Reception became even our daughter's new favorite "auntie".

As to the room itself: the room that we were given was very spacious so even with the cot bed in there was still a lot of crawl space for our little toddler. It was clean and had everything that we could ask for: good size TV, ironing board & iron, proper professional hair dryer (perfect for my very long hair), kettle, selection of teas and coffees, a lot of additional towels, toiletries, etc. Air con also helped us to regulate temperature so our little one could happily crawl just in her nappy and she never got cold.

In short, we would definitely recommend this hotel to families traveling with small children and people who want to stay right in the heart of Manchester without having to pay a fortune for a hotel room. Really hope we can go back there soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review following your recent stay with your husband and young daughter.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that Joanna especially made a great impression with your daughter. I will certainly share your kind feedback with her.

Thanks again and I hope too that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Coelbren, Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at this Manchester hotel 14/15 February 2013. Initially we were placed in a room on the tenth floor. All was well until about 11.30pm when the guest next door returned. The walls in the rooms are paper thin and we felt like a third party to the female next door who had her mobile on loud speaker for about 45mins. With no sleep to be had, we requested a room change to which the managment agreed. We were rehoused on the 4th floor and got a reasonable nights sleep although the paper thin walls were also evident on this floor also. The hotel in general is a pleasant place to stay and quite central to the City. The Bar and dining experience was extremely good. A superb restaurant with an amazing view over the City centre. Excellent meal with excellent service.
A further downpoint however, is the £15 car parking fee per night. I cannot understand such high car parking fees and this alone is enough for me not to stay here again. With room charges as high as this for a 3 star, they need to lose the parking fee as it is just another additional charge that you can do without.

Room Tip: Bring ear muffs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your Valentine’s trip to the Hotel. I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise transfer during your time with us. We are aware from guest feedback, that sound proofing between some of our rooms can be an issue. We are continuing to look at ways to improve on this but the age of the building will play some part in reducing noise transfer to a zero level but we still continue to try the best we can.

As you have mentioned, one of the main benefits of our hotel is our central location, together with the fact that we are extremely lucky to have our own onsite car park, which is secure and as you know, has the benefit of being only steps away from our front door. A car parking charge has always been in operation at the Hotel and this is publicised on our website, as well as third party websites we have control over. We regularly review our charge against other city centre car parks in our vicinity and when you compare their prices of approximately £22-£24 per overnight stay, then our charge does compare extremely favourably.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at the hotel and the views from our Restaurant windows are indeed excellent.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that sometime in the future you may consider staying with us again.

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

There are many good and bad features of this hotel.

Good

**Location - The hotel is centrally located in Manchester, easy to get wherever you want. Close to all the attractions.

**Height - Our room was on the 12th floor overlooking Piccadilly Gardens, magnificent view.

**Cleanliness - The room was clean throughout, no problems there.

**Breakfast - Standard hotel breakfast prices however the food was very good, very attentive staff who brough tea/coffee and toast to table whilst we was getting food from buffet. All hot and good quality, also a cold option of meats; cheeses; cereals etc.

Bad

**Room - Nothing in the room worked, which meant no iron, no trouser press. Had to call reception to get an Iron sent up to room which took about 30 mins. TV had a mind of its own which would work and then not work, on and off. Both of these are not major problems just things I picked up.

**AC - Air conditioning didnt change the temperature of the room and was very loud so didnt bother with it.

**Window - Again this was only a small problem, It is brilliant being on the 12th floor for the views however the window was condensated all the time meaning you couldnt actually see out of it.

**Lifts - Are very very slow, takes a long time if you are high up

**Thin walls - this was a big one for us, we was concerned about this having pre read the reviews on here. We was right to be concerned as you can hear every word your neighbours are saying. Staying here on valentines day may have been a bad choice as you hear everything.

Room Tip: 1212 was our room - clean and basic. Brilliant view if window not condensated.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

On a positive note, I was pleased to hear that our location suited your needs, you found the cleanliness of the hotel good and you enjoyed your breakfast experience.

On the downside, it was disappointing to hear of the maintenance issues you encountered in your room and I apologise for the delay you encountered with the delivery of the iron/board your requested. These issues will be addressed accordingly with the team.

The views from our higher floors on a clear day are indeed quite spectacular. With regard to your comment concerning condensation, over the winter months it became apparent to us that a number of our bedrooms were experiencing a problem with condensation. As such, we have been speaking to a number of Companies regarding this matter and we are currently considering a number of options put before us to help alleviate this problem.

Thank you once again for your candid feedback and I do hope sometime in the future, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#21 of 116 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!