“Good location and friendly staff”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #75 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel probably has one of the best locations in Manchester being right in Picadilly Gardens and the view from the bar/restaurant is especially good. Being in the heart of the city it does take a bit of finding if you are driving and take note, the hotel car park is up the slope not down it as this takes you into the more expensive NCP car park!

The hotel itself is a legacy Ramada hotel and still retains some of the features of that chain such as signage and the 'Arts Bar & Brasserie' (including the dinner menu!). My bedroom was on the 10th floor and unfortunately didn't have much of a view due to heavy condensation on the secondary glazing and also suffered from a surprising amount of traffic noise from outside. The room itself was a a good size, very clean with a comfortable bed but the wardrobe/hanging space was limited and reception on TV was quite poor. The air conditioning didn't seem to work terribly well so it was difficult to get the room to a comfortable temperature.

The bathroom had obviously had some refurbishment but still looked a little tired and there was a lack of space to put a washbag. It also suffered from the usual problem encountered in hotels of this age - the ceilings are too low so the showerhead is not high enough!!

I ate dinner in the hotel and the quality of the food was good and staff were pleasant and very efficient. Breakfast the next morning was also good with plenty of choice of both cold and hot food, although slightly tasteless sausages. It is certainly nice to have toast made for you rather than having to do it yourself as in most hotels these days!

Overall this hotel offers reasonable value for money, the room rate I paid was certainly on a par with other city centre hotels I considered and it is in a great location. With a bit more modernisation it could be fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Simon S
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Guest

As General Manager of the Hotel, all feeback from whatever means is always used constructively, so I thank you for taking the time to post your review, bringing various matters to my attention.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that on a future trip to Manchester, you may consider staying with us again.

David Daly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,178)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've stayed at a few Accor hotels and generally find them to have friendly, well-trained staff and this hotel was no exception. A lady at reception helped me out with a map and directions as it had been a while since I'd been a tourist in Manchester. Not that a map was needed frankly as the hotel is very near the giant city centre Primark store (I swear it's the size of a city block) and the Arndale centre is just around the corner.

The hotel seems to have a lot of Christmas office parties on site so fair warning about that. I heard a lot of semi-drunk people heading to the party and getting hold of a lift was a bit of an issue. On the plus side the parties seem to be held on the 3rd floor and as I was on the 11th I didn't hear any music or particular noise. Actually the following morning the whole hotel seemed to be hungover as I didn't hear a single bedroom door open before 10am!

My bedroom was clean, comfortable and really what you'd expect of the chain - an amazing view of the city after dark too. I did find a rogue hair on my bathroom wall (not mine) so perhaps a little more elbow grease wouldn't be such a bad thing. I was very impressed that my room service order came withing 30 minutes too - the food was pretty good and piping hot too which given that they were catering for over a 100 guests downstairs was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review of our Hotel following your stay with us; it really is appreciated.

I pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your time with us and do hope that sometime in the future we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed for one night on 9th December. We were on the 12th floor. The room was small and the windows very tired, with steamed up secondary glazing and mildew. The bathroom looked like it had been partially renovated, but they couldn't be bothered to do it properly. There was mildew on the tiles, a bit of bleach or mild cleaner would have solved it! It was when we were awoken at 02.20 by other guests being ignorant and shouting in the corridor to each other that we were first aware of the poor sound proofing. Then again at 3.20 when the next lot of ignoramuses returned to their rooms we were reminded just how poor the sound proofing was. Then this morning at around 9am we could hear the entire word for word conversation of our neighbours. I actually thought they were in our room with us, it was that clear.

So if you want to be able to sleep, don't choose this hotel. And if you want any privacy or if you don't want to feel like you're sharing your room with your neighbours, don't stay here.

The real shame is that this hotel is in a really convenient location.

Car parking is a silly price £15 per night!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Guest

I was sorry to hear how disappointed you were with your stay with us on the 9th December; please accept my apologies.

As General Manager of the Hotel, all feeback from whatever media is always used constructively, so I thank you for bringing various matters to my attention,

With 300+ guests in house that night, and with it being the run up to the festive period too, I am aware that my security team did come across a number of guests that were quite merry and they were approached and asked to show due consideration to other guests in house. I am only too sorry that you were disturbed by other guests causing such a commotion.

As you have mentioned, our location couldn't be better in terms of getting out and about to explore all that Manchester has to offer. In addition, as a City Centre Hotel, we are lucky enough to have our own onsite car park, which many guests do comment on as being a huge benefit, as it is secure and only steps away from our front door. A car parking charge has always been in operation at the hotel and when you compare our current charge of £15.00 per overnight stay, against other city centre car parks who charge £24.00 per overnight stay, then we believe our charge compares extremely favourably.

Thank you once again for your review and although I do appreciate your disappointment on this occasion, I do hope sometime in the future you may give us another try.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

A few lines about the short stay we had at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel. We booked two nights through agoda and got a price of £195.00 room only. On arriving we were met by very attentive and professional staff. Check-in was quick and we were given the choice of one or two room keys. A nice touch as this has not been a choice at most of the city centre hotels we have stayed in. The room was on the tenth floor (even though there were three lifts it still took some time to get up there a situation that did not improve not matter what time we used the lifts). The room it's self was small but clean. The bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath. The shower was always hot (something again we could not say for all hotels) with the only drawback being that the shower head was a bit low. I'm only 5ft 7inch so no giant. The bed was of a good consistency with four pillows (again far better than most). The air con worked and kept the room at a comfortable temperature even though it was in the minuses all weekend. The television was of a good size but (and these days it's a big but) very few channels. No BBC news channel only BBC 1 and 2, ITV 1 and 3 and the radio channels did not work. As we were only there for two nights we did not bother saying anything, but if you were there for any real time it would be a letdown. There were the normal pay-for-view films at between £3.99 and £9.99 with a good deal of a film, pizza and a drink for £15. The only other downer was that one of the room lights did not work. Another plus was that for the first time we found a safe that did not need a degree to be able you to use it. A very simple safe, all you did was enter a four digit number (you picked it) press lock and you stuff was safely locked away. Enter the same number and press unlock and it opened. Other hotels please, please take note! The only other thing to spoil the break was not the fault of the hotel. After having a full Saturday watching City play and then a few hours around the pubs in Manchester City centre (make sure that you visit The Bay Horse and The Sanctuary) we wanted a curry. So we went to the Spice Lounge, WHAT A MISTAKE! Do not go anywhere near this place. It took fifteen minutes to get a table, another five to get a drink, ten more to order. Then after forty minutes, four other people getting their order taken and food delivered we gave up and walked out. Thank God for Spar as we ended up going there and taking beer, crisps and chocolate back to the room. All in all we would go back to this hotel, and if they could offer us a good price directly we would consider staying here every couple of months. We don't think we could get as good a price through agoda but will try

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as you can. Get on ethat does not over look the gardens/tram line. Stay away f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mcfc4tony
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us and I will share your kind comments with the team who I know will be just as pleased as I was to receive them.

What a shame your dining experience at the Indian Restaurant didn't go well. Perhaps when you stay with us next time, we can entice you into our Restaurant, where I'm sure you will receive the quality of customer care and service that guest's should always experience.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I visited Manchester to take clients to Old Trafford. The hotel's location is excellent. The room and service was very good with friendly efficient staff. Being on the floor twelve I had no troulbe sleeping.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your stay with us; it really is appreciated.

I do hope on a future visit to Manchester we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is in the very heart of Manchester and convenient for all city centre attractions
We stayed on a Saturday night and our room was clean but very tired and this is true of much of the hotel with the exception of the Bar and Reception areas. Staff were friendly and heelpful but overall I very much doubt we will be staying again as it represented very poor value for money

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you found the team friendly and helpful, and your found our location spot on in terms of the convenience of getting out and about to visit all the attractions Manchester has to offer.

We are committed to ensuring that our property is always presenting at its very best and although I can see from your feedback that perhaps on a future visit to Manchester you may look elsewhere for your accomodation needs, I do hope that maybe sometime in the future you may change your mind and consider staying with us.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

my sister an i recently stayed at this hotel whilst visting the christmas markets in manchester
the staff were outstanding, very welcoming helpful and friendly nothing was too much trouble.
we had booked a standard room which was excellent very clean and well furnished .we often visit manchester and would not hesitate to stay here again the hotel was also very reasonably priced we would also reccommend the chrismas markets they are wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your feedback following your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I'm sure the team will be as equally delighted as I was to read your comments.

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kind Regards