“Great city centre hotel”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Hertfordshire
“Great city centre hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. Great location right in the centre of Manchester. Hotel is above a shop and office arcade so great views from all rooms. Very clean rooms. Good service from friendly staff. Bar and restaurant are excellent.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. Our central location couldn't be better for exploring Manchester. Great to hear your feedback regarding friendly staff and also you found the Restaurant & Bar to be excellent.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Mercure Piccadilly is hardly the most beautiful building, but it is in a fantastic location in Manchester City and Centre, and useful if you've had a cosmo too many in that it can be seen for quite some way.

Billing itself as a business hotel, however, probably sets expectations a little high. We had to queue for check-in, we weren't offered the option of leaving a card (the rooms were settled by work ahead of the stay), resulting in a late night flit to the bar to pay off room service, which kind of missed the point. Wifi is extortionately expensive (£11 for 24 hours) and again, can't be set up in room if you've not given a card for extras, which is fine, if we'd been told, and the wired connection in my room came with a broken plug. Wifi in the bar is free and fast, but it's not the most salubrious location.

The rooms themselves were fine - a little small, but mine was clean and functional. The bed was extremely comfortable and on the twelfth floor the views of the city were pretty spectacular. But I awoke unable to see the beautiful sunrise, due to the small lake which had formed on the inside of my window and the walls are like rice paper - every word of every conversation could be heard by pretty much everyone. Had a very angry man next to me who found the level of noise untolerable from a conversation at 10pm and was quite active in showing his displeasure. It was also nice to get a 6am alarm call every morning, courtesy of the room on the other side of mine.

All in all, if you get quiet neighbours and you just need a city centre crash pad, the hotel does the job, but for the kind of price you're paying, I'd upgrade a little bit to somewhere like the Abode, Mint, or even the MacDonald Townhouse, all of which offer better business facilities and significantly more privacy.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can and request a room with no neighbours.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. I was sorry to read that other than our fantastic location that on this occasion you were not fully satisfied with your stay.

Your feedback has been taken on board and as per my previous responses to guest reviews, we have been conducting a programme of works within our bedrooms to help reduce noise transfer. I am sorry that you were disturbed on this occasion.

My apologies for the delay that you experienced at check in. We do rota our team according to business levels, however, as I am sure you can appreciated as 280 bedroomed hotel, when the hotel is busy and a number of guests arrive at the same time, on occasions queues can occur . I will however take forward with my Reception Manager your comment that a swipe of your credit card was not taken on arrival, to allow you to charge items to your room.

Whilst I appreciate your disappointment on this occasion and that Manchester does have a large number of hotels to choose from, I really do hope that sometime in the future you may give us another try and with this mind, at that time, please feel free to contact me personally.

David Daly

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

After reading some poor reviews for some of the 4* hotels in Manchester I decided to choose the Mercure and I wasn't disappointed. My husband and I arrived at 8pm and parked in a superb car park space right outside the reception. (£30 for 2 nights). The check in staff were friendly and on noticing we hadn't ordered breakfast offered it to us at a reduced price (we decided not to have breakfast at the hotel in the end but it was nice to be asked). Our room was on the 8th floor and the views of the city were excellent. Our room had everything you would need for a weekend away: clean bathroom with a lovey hot powerful shower, hairdryer, ironing board and iron, tv, tea & coffee). The hotel staff were very helpful and each time I asked for more tea bags or milk (I even a pair of scissors at one point) all my requests were dealt with quickly with the goods being brought up to our room by a friendly member of staff. The hotel location is excellent for the MEN Arena and central Manchester for shopping. We had a great time and would definitely stay at the Mercure again.

• Stayed October 2012
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review following your recent visit to the Hotel; it is really appreciated.

I was delighted to hear that you had a great time and that you will definitely stay with Mercure again. With this in mind, I trust that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Central location overlooking Piccadilly Gardens. The hotel has been refurbished to a degree and the beds are comfortable, we had a superior room located on the corner of the hotel over looking Portland St but unfortunately the windows are not fully double glazed, (secondary glazing only) & consequently rooms do suffer from street noise & from the trams if your room is located over looking the Gardens area, and as other reviewers have commented the walls are paper thin!
Tea/coffee facilities are provided, TV was OK, but bathroom still looked dated.
Buffet breakfast was fine.
If you can get a deal, this hotel is OK but there are better hotels in Manchester for not alot more money.
Car parking is plentiful and convenient located by reception with a £15.00 per night charge

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MidlandsTravelg
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review. I was pleased to hear that our central location and having the use of our own on-site car park was of great benefit to you. Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise transfer from outside the building. As a City Centre Hotel, situated by Piccadilly bus station as well as a Metro Tram stop, the noise they generate on occasions can be of a disturbance to some guests who may not be used to such an environment. In order to mask noise from outside the building we do have secondary double glazing in place. For any guests, however, who may find this of a disturbance then we are more than happy to allocate rooms at the back of the hotel, which still do have fantastic views of the city, but are quieter.

Many thanks again for taking the time to post your review and I do hope on a future visit to Manchester, you may consider staying with us again.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Unfortunately I stayed at the Mercure last night on business. At first glance the room looks wonderful-- good bedding and clean room. Unfortunately, the walls are paper thin and I could hear every conversation (word for word) of the person in the room next to me who made phone calls late into the night. At 8am, there were drilling noises coming from the room above me but luckily I was already awake. My coworker stayed in another room and could hear conversations through the walls. In the morning, she was awaken not by drilling but by the alarm clock sounding from the room next door. Additionally, the heater didn't work well in either of our rooms and I had no hotel wifi signal. I won't be back.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I was so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us, particularly due to noise disturbance between bedrooms. Over the last few months we have been conducting works within our bedrooms to help reduce noise transfer and albeit we may not be able to reduce noise transfer to a zero level, we continue with our aims. Regarding drilling at 8am, other than for an absolute emergency would we ever start drilling at this time in a morning, as we are fully aware that guests may still be sleeping at this time.

I can confirm that WIFI is currently availability in lounge bar and restaurant area, as well as our public areas and that WIFI is due to be rolled out in our bedrooms too very soon.

Sorry to hear that as a result of your experience on this occasion you won’t be back. It goes without saying that I would be happy to have the opportunity to restore your faith in us and if you are ever heading our way again and wish to give us another try, please contact me personally.

Saltash, Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here for business 01/10/12 - 02/10/12. The room was reasonably sized and very clean and tidy. The bed was two singles pushed together rather than a double so you have the uncomfortable bit down the middle, I was on the 11th floor but it was still a bit noisy in the morning from the traffic outside. Shower is in the bath and the shower head a bit low so you have to bend right down to get underneath it (but I am 6'1").The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The breakfast was very nice and about what you'd expect for a buffet. We were provided tea and coffee but had to ask for milk. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay in a central position.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for your review and recommendation; it is really appreciated.

I do hope on a future visit to Manchester, we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for 5 nights in September (2012). I arrived late on the Sunday night and initial impressions on the area weren't too good. This is certainly not somewhere you'd want to stay if you had a young family.

When I got the the room, I simply crashed out due to exhaustion and it wasn't until the next day that I noticed how shabby the room actually was. The bedroom window had a thick layer of mould across the entire frame. This was probably due to the constant condensation build up which resulted in never actually having a view from the window. The room should also have had secondary glazing as the original windows date back to when the hotel was built (looks late 60s). However in my room the secondary glazing was broken, resulting in all traffic and road noise echoing around my room (I was on the 9th floor).

The bathroom however was close to one of the worst I've stayed in (and I've stayed in some dodgy hotels in my time). The bath itself was stained and dirty, the tiles were mouldy and dirt ridden and the shower curtain looked like it had been pee'd on by all it's guests for years. The floor tiles were filthy and covered in years of grime and the bottom of the bathroom door looked like it was rotting off.

When I arrived there were two small complimentary toiletries (shower gel and shampoo), however after the first day these were never replenished. I was there for 5 nights, but they seemed to only provide for 1. I continually had to ask for more and in the end just went out and bought my own. Considering this hotel aims itself at the professional market, I would have expected something to be provided.

The rooms are also very noisy, both from noise outside and between the paper thin walls. You will go to bed every night listening to all your neighbours tv's.

When I initially spoke to someone about the room I was told they were fully booked and wouldn't do anything. However on a second attempt I did get someone who was very helpful and extremely apologetic. He immediately sorted me out with another room, which I must admit was much better. However when I began moving my things to the new room, I found them moving another guest straight into my old room.

We've tried getting a refund on the initial couple of nights stay, but the hotel has refused. Our organisation have used Mercure for a while and have had similar issues, perhaps its time to change supplier.

However, this

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room that has been modernised.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, the content of which I have noted. I am aware that you have already communicated directly with the hotel and as such, following our intervention to address your concerns, I believe we have reached a satisfactory conclusion.

Just to confirm that as a Hotel we are committed to investing in our property in order that we are always presenting at our very best. I am sorry that you did have cause to complain on this occasion regarding the standard of the initial room you were allocated, which I can confirm has been addressed accordingly by our Maintenance Team.