“Overbooked”

Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
København, Danmark
“Overbooked”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

I had booked this hotel this weekend but it was overbooked. First they told me to go wait in the bar and that they would find me a new hotel. When I asked what hotels they were gonna ring they said 3 and 4 stars and if I had any preferences (which I did) they could call them first.

When they came back to me they had one room ready for me at another hotel, Sachas Britannia. For everyone who's been to Manchester and stayed there, they can surely understand that was out of the question so I told the manager that was totally out of the question. He then came back 10 minutes later with a couple of hotels far outside the city center, to which I replied that if I wanted a hotel outside the city, I would have booked one there. After a 45 minutes wait and discussions I ended up at Abode, which I was very happy with as this is a hotel in another class than Meruce, in both standards and service but waiting 45 minutes and pushing back a dinner reservation due to this wasn't very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hotell.no

1 Thank YngveH
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Guest

Firstly, my apologies that on arrival you found the Hotel to be in an overbooking situation, so much so we had to find you alternative accommodation for your stay in Manchester.

Please be assured that the last thing we would ever want to do is upset or inconvenience our guests in any way and I am only too sorry that you were involved in this overbooking situation. On the very rare occasion that we may find ourselves in such a situation, my team are instructed to find guests alternative accommodation at the same star rating as ourselves, or higher. With the City being extremely busy over the weekend in question, I am aware that the majority of City Centre hotels were completely full and therefore we only had a number of central hotels that could take our bookings. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our first offering but was pleased to hear that you were happy with the Hotel that eventually accommodated you.

Once again my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused on this occasion. I would like to assure that overbooking situations are certainly not a common occurrence at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel and truly hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back for a genuine hassle-free experience and with this in mind, please do let me know if you do make a future booking with us.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Got a real good rate for a Saturday night. It was a crash pad to avoid a taxi home. The hotel was fine. Clearly an old hotel that has recently been spruced up. The room was clean and the king size bed was comfy. Only issue was very thin walls made it noisy. Good central location. Staff were very friendly.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel on Tripadvisor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to hear that on the whole you were happy with your stay with us, albeit was sorry to hear you were aware of noise transfer. Due to our central location and the vibrancy of the City, activities outside the hotel can on occasions filter through. The age of the building does play some part in our ability to reduce noise transfer completely from both an external/internal point of view, however, we are currently trying to make inroads to improve on this.

Thank you once again for your valued review and I trust that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a city break in Manchester. It was very clean and staff were nice. The room was really nice but the shower had some new tiles amongst the old ones which made it look tatty. We did not have breakfast here as there are some much cheaper cafes near the Arndale Centre that have lovely breakfasts.

• Stayed February 2012
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your valued review on Tripadvisor, it really is appreciated.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed with my colleagues as part of a conference at this hotel for two nights. My initial impressions having worked in the industry for many years was what a strange layout for a hotel. This was with regard to the entrances and layout of the floors.. .....

My check in experience with Paul and the Reception Manager was excellent with regard to detail and offering to help the guest and it was a great first impression. It was good to see that the friendliness was a common theme throughout the hotel with the breakfast chef and bar/restaurant managers plus staff showing a friendly and genuine desire to serve the customers. In particular I found Rose to be kind and helpful throughout my stay and the Restaurant manager. Whoever is recruiting in my view is doing a good job as the hotel shows a great diversity with its staff and the training has clearly also impacted on putting the customer first!

On the downside the cold water in the morning and poor sound proofing in the rooms was a let down but this is not the fault of the staff who seemed to enjoy their jobs and serving their customers. In this case the staff make the difference and I would recommend this hotel based on the people working there....

Room Tip: Not near the lifts if possible
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your stay with colleagues as part of a conference that was taking place in the hotel.

Firstly, I was delighted to hear of the high level of customer care and service that was afforded to you during your stay. It will certainly give me great pleasure to share your kind comments with the team.

My apologies for the unfortunate maintenance issue you encountered. Please be assured that the last thing we would ever want to do is inconvenience our guests in any way. The loss of hot water was as a result of our boilers tripping out, however, we were able to get them up and running again quite quickly but I do appreciate it did take a little time for the hot water to start coming through again and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Your comment regarding poor sound-proofing has been noted. The age of the building does play some part in our ability to reduce noise transfer to zero level, however, we are currently making inroads to try to resolve this issue.

It was pleasing to read that you would be delighted to recommend our hotel based on the team working here and I trust that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stayed recently on a Manchester night out. Booked as it was the best deal direct from accors own website. Hotel in general is what you get from accor never find anything but exceptional politeness and service from staff.

Hotel its self, looks really nice and swish with its makeover, they have recently bought it from the Ramada chain. Supposidely 4 star rated (I'd actually stayed at the Marriot in Leeds city centre the week previous that was 4 star too, personally comparing them both together this was a high 3 star to the marriot was leagues ahead with high 4 star).

Well have to say the room was really nice to look at, bathroom good overall, shower really powerful. Although you could see that the bathroom has had part makeover, some accent marble look bits, on top of previous tiling. The brown tiling is clearly not accor doing, it ain't their style for sure. But my budget normally only allows more budget chain and bargain deal so the first impression was really quite good.

HOWEVER THE LET DOWN IS, IT MAY BE A GOOD 2012 MAKEOVER, THE ONE THING THATS BEEN MISSED IT OBVIOUSLY STILL HAS 1960'S SOUNDPROOFING. I say this, as friends had the next door room. Know for a fact he was sat in the chair on the opposite side of the room as I went next door during the phone conversation he was having. I could hear him word for word clearly without having to strain. Same with the tv in his room, it wasn't loud just at a normal considerate level, but you could hear it through the wall. The worst thing was at 5am I awoke, I could hear him snoring in the next room and the beds were on the opposite walls, was even loud enough for my phone to record. Fortunately I am a deep sleeper once I get off. But this surely is totally unacceptable in a 4 star hotel in 2012. At the rate I paid as I explained to the desk upon check out I can't complain it was a nice room, but cause of the soundproofing it is not worth anymore. Paid under £69 on a special sale for Saturday 4th February 2012.

So really nice looking hotel about 4 star but with 1 star soundproofing. Light sleepers beware!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel; your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am sorry that you encountered noise transfer during your stay. Unfortunately as a result of the age of the building, it is playing some part in our ability to completely reduce noise transfer but we are continually trying to make inroads to improve on this.

I was however delighted to read that you came across exceptional politeness and service from the team and I trust that the negative aspect of your stay does not detract from the positive and that will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.

Worksop, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed here in February 2012 for two nights at a weekend. I was booked on a promotional rate which was supposedly half price. It cost GBP94 for two nights, room only. It's reasonable to assume, therefore, that the regular rate would be close to GBP100 per night and it is against that price that I base these comments. (If that's an incorrect assumption, then my special offer was evidently misleading, which is just as negative a factor).

The hotel is located right in the heart of Manchester's city centre and is easily accessible by road. It is in walking distance of one of the city's two main train stations and a short tram ride from the other. It is an ideal base from which to explore the city and surrounding area.

Standard rooms are compact, measuring just 10ft x 12 ft (excluding the bathroom and entrance). That is smaller than one might expect at these rates. The photograph of a room on the company's website is highly misleading; they are nowhere near the size depicted. They appear to have been superficially refurbished recently and are generally clean. The flat screen TV in the room we had was showing some signs of age.

Soundproofing appears wholly inadequate. Despite being on the 14th floor, city noise penetrated easily through the window. Noise from guests in adjacent rooms and from the corridor outside was also intrusive. And finally, our room was on the top floor and adjacent to the lift; we "enjoyed" clanking and squeaking from the mechanism at all times of the day and night more or less constantly. Dreadful.

The bed is quite uncomfortable, being both springy and lumpy. In a double room at these rates, the bed should be King Size. It wasn't. Of course, if it had been, the remaining small amount of floor space would have been even smaller. There is a trouser press and hairdryer plus tea and coffee making facilities which are kept supplied with a minimal quantity of quality products. There is a panel controlling air conditioning and heating, but in our room, whilst various lights lit up giving the promise of something happening, there was no evidence of any effect on temperature, nor any sound from the fan. I have to assume it was broken. I wouldn't want to stay in this room in summer - the window cannot be opened at all.

As well as the standard rooms, I understand this hotel has various upgraded room offerings although I can't comment on the improvements one might experience for the additional cost of these rooms.

The hotel is a 3-star property with 24-hour reception, 24-hour room service (at a fee), dry cleaning and laundry (at a fee). There are no fitness facilities nor pool. Public areas are spacious and very well presented. The interior of the property, including public areas and guest rooms, is 100% non-smoking.

As one would expect, there is a daily housekeeping service in the rooms. I was a little dismayed at the paucity of supplied toiletries - a single small bar of soap, a single bottle of shampoo and another of shower gel. Likewise the one bath towel and one hand towel present was, I thought, unusually limited. It felt like they were being "cheap".

I did not partake of any in-house food or beverage. I considered that the GBP10 per person for breakfast was more than I needed to pay. I also thought that GBP12 per day for parking - for a paying guest - was excessive as well. The wired (ethernet) internet service in the rooms is chargeable. There is no in-room wi-fi. And they have the audacity to publish a revenue-sharing premium rate telephone number for the hotel as well! (More on that subject below). Leaving guests with an impression that every possible opportunity to solicit more money from them is not, in my opinion, a good thing.

In summary then, I had a somewhat disturbed stay in less than comfortable surroundings. To be fair, at the rate I actually paid, I didn't feel overcharged, but at more standard rates, this is over-priced. I struggle to unreservedly recommend this hotel primarily for reasons of cost as described. Room rates are fairly high but the feeling that every opportunity is taken to solicit more revenue from guests is not a pleasant one.

That's my view of the hotel itself. But I want to finish this with a comment about the reservation process and the hotel reservations staff.

The deal I used was for Accor loyalty cardholders, and was for a half-price reservation. The terms were that it WAS cancellable (up to 2pm on the day of arrival), and had to be paid for, at the hotel, at least in part using Accor loyalty points. Credit card information collected at the time of booking was to guarantee the reservation; not to pay for it.

Nevertheless, I noted that the hotel had, in fact, charged the full reservation cost to my card at the time of booking. I emailed and got no reply; not even an acknowledgement. On the third day afterwards, I called them. The only number publicly available is a revenue-sharing premium rate number (0844...). Therefore, I was paying them for the privilege to speak to them.

My call was transferred twice before I finally spoke to someone in the right department. This person initially refused outright to accept my descripton of the rate I had booked, insisting that it was a pre-paid, non-cancellable deal. This person claimed they had no ability to see the same terms that I was looking at, and asked me to EMail proof. It was only after a prolonged debate - at my expense - that this person finally agreed - as a goodwill gesture (and not as a matter of right) - to refund my card. And that did happen.

I understand this hotel has only recently changed its branding from Radisson to Mercure, and it may be the transitional arrangements that led to a communications failure whereby staff were unaware of their parents' promotional activities. And I'm happy to concede that such things can happen. Interestingly, it is precisely when such things do occur that one can get real insight into the performance of a company and its staff.

If customer satisfaction were a priority for this business, and its staff, then they would have done some or all of:
- immediately given me the benefit of the doubt and accepted my description of the terms, rather than asking me to EMail proof
- in any event, noted on my reservation that an error had been made such that reception staff were at the very least able to offer an apology when I arrived
- and possibly offered some sort of recompense - a room upgrade or similar - for my lengthy and costly telephone call - a call that I should never have had to make and which in any case should not have had to be made to a revenue sharing number.

As it is, none of the above things happened. It all doesn't give a good impression of the attitude of either the company or some of the staff here towards their customers' satisfaction. Goodwill is the easiest thing in the world to lose .. and actually to gain, too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SCAN60
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your stay with us.

I was disappointed to read your review and I am very sorry that you did not have a more positive visit. I welcome all guest feedback, as it really helps us to maintain standards and focus on areas that we may need to improve on. I would be more than happy to discuss with you personally your experience and therefore please feel free to contact me on 0161 234 6002.

David Daly

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Chose the hotel for its proximity to what we had to do and where we had to be and because we hadn't had too bad an experience with the last Mercure Hotel we'd stayed in (Sheffield). However, even though our room was on 14th floor, we had two terrible nights because of the traffic noise and the noise from clubs spilling out. If you have to chose this hotel too, try to request a non street side room - I think the rooms on the "inside" of the hotel will be quieter. The room itself wasn't bad but I wish there was some one on bodily hair patrol (say no more)!! Our deal included breakfast and what I would advise is you get there early as the qualitative difference between Saturday (we went down later in the morning) and Sunday (we were down early) was marked. It was also somewhat chaotic as there didn't appear to be anyone checking that the buffet style breakfast trays were filled which meant for some people they had to wait until more eggs or bacon or sausages were brought up. There was also a lack of waiting staff and we were half way through our breakfast before we managed to get tea and coffee and toast. I think we'll be trying to find an alternative to this hotel when we're next up in Manchester. Ps the shower was great!

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the "inside" of the hotel and/or possibly at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
I am aware that we have communicated separately regarding your visit, but thank you for posting your constructive and valued review on Tripadvisor.

As per our previous communication, I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel again very soon.