“noisy at night”

Hatters Hilton Chambers
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was in one of the bedrooms on the 1st floor, facing the street, and it was unbelievably noisy at night time. Otherwise the hostel was really good, very clean and tidy, helpful staff, and good location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We do get a few comments about the noise at night and we apologize for that - however we also get praise for our location which we wouldn't receive if in a quieter location....no win!! :p But thank you so much for your lovely comments :)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Me and my friend stayed here for one night in November 2012. We really enjoyed our stay, and our room was clean and spacious.

We had booked 2 beds in a mixed dorm, but when we went in we saw that our beds had been slept in. All the other beds in the room were occupied so we asked for clean sheets for our beds. The girl behind the counter was really friendly, in the end she showed us to a different room altogether - we got a 6 bed dorm just for us 2. Such a nice surprise, we would have been happy with just new bed sheets. I was really happy to have a room just ourselves, as in the mixed dorm there had been a group of Italian guys going out for the night, and I hadn't been looking forward to waking up in the middle of the night when they'd come back, drunk and loud. Our room had an ensuite bathroom, with a toilet and a shower. The shower looked fine (certainly better than in some hostels I've stayed) but neither of us used it so I can't say if it actually was as nice as it looked.

The location of the hostel is great, it was easy to find and we could walk everywhere we went. There's also a lot of bars, restaurants etc nearby.

Everywhere else I've stayed in the UK during winter the rooms have always been cold, so I had a warm pyjama and thick socks with me... but in the end, the room was so unbelievably warm that I couldn't sleep in more than just a t-shirt. My friend said that it was "uncomfortably warm" but I didn't really mind. Especially as all the other places where we stayed during that trip were absolutely freezing.

The breakfast was nice, I loved the fact that there were fresh fruits. The breakfast room however was quite small - not a problem for us as we were only 2 people, but I can't really imagine how a larger group is supposed to fit in.

When we wanted to check out, the people behind the counter were chatting and laughing with each other, ignoring us completely... I realize this is a hostel for young people and the atmosphere is supposed to be fun, but still, it is customer service. When they finally turned to us I almost said "I'm sorry we're bothering you"... because that's how it felt.

All in all, we had a comfortable stay, and it was definitely value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hi and thank you for your comments! When guests check in we always point out what beds they are staying in but unfortunately we can't avoid the odd bed-hopper! In a situation like this however we try to rectify the problem as best as we can, and I'm glad you were happy with the new dorm you were put into :)

When we have large groups in house, we always allocate them a breakfast time, so that the kitchen doesn't get too over-crowded!! In reference to your check out, we apologize for you seeming to be ignored - we will definitely keep this in mind and make sure it doesn't happen again!!!

We hope to see you on your next trip :)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Having stayed at the Hatters on Newtown Street, Hilton Chambers is definitely the better of the two.

Minutes walk from Piccadilly train station, Piccadilly Gardens, buses and the Arndale Centre, there is hardly a better location to stay in in Manchester.

The free wifi is a big plus, although this won't work in the rooms, using your laptop or otherwise in the comfortable common room is pleasant enough.

Breakfast itself is basic, but adequate.

Be mindful on weekends when the football is on in town, it can get quite busy, but if you are a fan of Manchester United or City, the atmosphere inside the hostel is excellent!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Hello and thank you for the review!! Our location is great, and as well as free WI-fi we offer free coffee, tea and toast 24/7, free DVDs and games, and free breakfast! Although we don't provide free WI-fi for all the rooms, you can purchase it from the reception :)

And yes, the football atmosphere is awesome on match weekends - even if you're not a huge football fan you can't help getting excited about the game when surrounded by all the fans!!

See you on your next trip!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Really cheap and great location! Rooms were nice and plenty of facilities such as shower, kitchen, internet etc. Kitchen has breakfast in the morning (cereal, toast, yoghurt) and tea, coffee and toast 24/7! Great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you very much for leaving us a review, and for the emphasis on our facilities! We provide free wi-fi, DVDs, games, breakfast and much more - and most importantly - we are available at reception 24/7 in case of any problems anyone may have!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting Manchester for a Bon Jovi concert and found it to be great.

The locationw as perfect being only a 5 minute walk to Piccadilly train station with plenty of places to eat/drink nearby.

The hostel itself was clean,comfortable and modern with the room well equipped with a tv a nice bathroom that was very spacious.

If your looking for somewhere well located,clean,affordable and well equipped then this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

We hope you enjoyed Bon Jovi!!

Our Hilton Chambers branch has been said to be the 'hotel version' of our hostels, so you're right, the feel of the place is just as clean and comfortable, just pounds and pounds and pounds cheaper!!

You can also check our website for great deals, and news of other concerts and events happening in Manchester :)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for a night whilst over in Manchester. At first I couldn't find this place and then I found a single door that lead to a staircase in what looked like a building that was empty. I remember thinking 'what have I come to'.

At the top of the stairs was reception and the man behind reception was very polite and explained how the hotel/hostel was run. I was then told were my room was.

The room was of an average size and was clean. The bathroom was clean and was equip with a bath/shower which you don't often find these days in a budget hotel. The water was warm and the shower had a good water pressure.

Unfortunately I didn't stay for breakfast so cannot comment on that but it was all included in the price. I will stay here again in the future but wouldn't recommend if your over 25 or struggle with stairs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

As the Hatters group contines to expand, we may have more opportunities for space in the building, so we will definitely look into placing a bigger and clearer door there ;) While we may be able to get a lift installed one of these days, we are always happy to allocate our guests to the first floor if there are any problems or discomfort with the stairs!

We thank you for commenting on our cleanliness and showers and hopefully next time you stay you can catch the free brekkie, but there's always free tea, coffee and toast if not!!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I think i paid a little bit more than I normally spend on hostels(still my own fault because I booked a little late) but I think i cant think of something I can nag about. The people at the front desk are so polite and willing to help you out with anything. Locate is really central and its just 5 - 10 min from the station.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments, we strive for customer excellence!!