“Excellent hotel”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Great choice for Manchester, superb hotel in an excellent location. Stayed on the executive floor; very nice room and exceptional bathroom. Very well kitted out, excellent bed and linens and great views. Exec floor facilities were good and the hotel bars, particularly the one on the 23rd floor are well worth a visit.

Really enjoyed the stay here and would recommend very highly!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank jcolesw2

Reviewed September 4, 2008

A friend booked this as a treat for us for a special occassion and managed to get an upgrade to an executive room and a free fruit platter and smoothies.

We were on the 21st floor which was pretty special, the immediate view wasn't brilliant but in the distance the view was amazing.

Breakfast was on the 23rd floor so again amazing views, and the choice was OK with a good mix of hot and cold stuff.

Room service was friendly and prompt, reception were friendly too.

3  Thank fatboyonadiet
Reviewed August 17, 2008

we have just returned from a night at the hilton hotel and we really enjoyed it the rooms were lovely and spotless the service was excellent and the food was delicous and plenty of it i would recommend it and cant wait till we can go back there again .

1  Thank staceychad14
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I stayed in the Hilton for one night during midweek. I had booked an executive room so that I could use th executive lounge, which was well worth it.

The room, however was not. Being billed as executive I had been led to believe that it would be a generously sized room. I was disappointed to find that it was quite small. It was nicely furnished and comfortable, but having been open for only a year I would have expected it to be in much better condition. There were scratches and dirty marks on the wallls, two of the sockets were coming loose and one of the switches did not work in the bathroom. Our door number was missing a digit and the whole thing looked rather grotty - not what I expected from a Hilton. The room was very stuffy and the air conditioning kept switching itself off, meaning taht it wouldn't cool down.

Another gripe I have is that the pillows and duvets were made of feather - I am allergic to feather. I was given different pillows on request but had to put up with the duvet.

Having said all of that, the staff were mostly excellent, checking in and out was good and quick, the executive lounge was fantastic and the food was very good.

I have had nicer rooms at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank thepinkwitch
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Was really looking forward to staying in The Hilton after all the hype surrounding it! Lesson to learn .. don't believe the hype! Considering the money we spent (approx £160 for a night) we could have actually been in a motel - that's what it felt like.
When we booked we were asked for special reqiurements we asked for a high room, non-smoking room and no feather pillows. On arrival , at least a month after booking, we were told there were no high rooms left( the main reason we wanted to stay there) as it was first come first served! We were sent to our room on the sixth floor with very little direction by a very bored looking receptionist and found, to our disappointment, that we were looking out over a car park and the back of the Gmex, the room was dark and dismal, the aircon might as well have not existed and the room smelt of smoke... guess what? We were placed in a room designated for smokers! What is the point of asking for special requests and then ignoring them?! Ok, we didn't have feather pillows ( I'm allergic) but we did seem to have been given a feather duvet!!!!
The room itself had seen better days- how long has it been open?! There were chips taken out of the furniture and walls, the shower over the bath had water squirting out all over the place from the leaking shower cable, the bath had chips in it - a greatly disappointing bathroom.
I was expecting great things and felt that we could have stayed in a much better hotel for a lot less money.
Much has been written on these reviews about the queue for the bar, which spreads through the hall, a rather offputting sight, we were told briefly that as residents if we wished to go to the bar we could just walk to the front of the queue and we would be allowed up -so easy - having checked out the ever so slightly tipsy group of non-residents queueing for the bar as we came home that night, we decided our lives were worth more than a drink in the sky bar!
No surprise that we checked out extremely early the next day without sampling the breakfast.
One last thing - we were told that we could park at a reduced rate ( only after enquiring about where to park! The information wasn't volunteered) yet in our hurry to exit we didn't ask the receptionist about how to get a reduced rate - guess what - parking was never even mentioned by the, again, bored looking receptionist!
Will we go to the Hilton again...Never. Some friends have been and had a great stay, all I can say then is that we must have been very unlucky, however after having read some of these reviews I don't think we are the only ones!

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank citybreaker65
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed here for four days not long after it opened, OK there were snags that should have been sorted out.
This time we had a weekend away trip.
The room (911) was a bit musty and was next door but one room to he three lift shafts.
The lifts make a noise that is just loud enough to prevent you dropping off to sleep with ease.
The bathroom was a bit musty and could do with a better extractor fan.
The air con would not stay on even when left in Automatic mode.
Front of house, checkin/checkout was good.
As Hilton Hhonors members our profile states: twin beds, high floor/level, away from lifts.
So we got double bed, floor 9 and near lift.
We might look elsewhere when we return to Manchester.

Reviewed August 3, 2008

Stayed here last month during a business trip through the north of England. I had great stays at hotels in Newcastle and Liverpool and saved this one til last having great expectations. What an expensive disappointment it ended up being. Not that the cost matters to me, seeing as it was on the company card, but I still like value for money.

There was a certain novelty in staying in Manchester's tallest building, or at least, there was until I arrived there. This building is an utter monstrosity; a 60 storey block surrounded by 2 storey buildings. About as ostentatious as you can get.

First impressions on arriving inside were ok; what you should expect for the price.

The check-in was very average. I had to wait 5 minutes for somebody to arrive and take my details, and then there seemed to be a delay getting my room. Not what I expect when I've paid good money to enjoy what is supposed to be a high quality experience.

There is a skybar, which is interesting. You can look out of the windows and enjoy the unique experience of being inside a skyscraper in a little city and watching the low level, provincial suburbia spead out for miles. Not the best of views, if I'm honest. The problem with the skybar is that it is full of annoying locals using it to have an evening out and enjoy the skybar novelty. There tended to be groups of yougsters being loud and pretentious, and making whooping and whaling noises. There was also a group of males on a stag do, who in my opinion should not have been served any more alcohol.

The room was fine; decor and fittings what I expect. Nothing earth shattering, but basically clean and tidy. The problem I had was being woken up at 3am by people arriving back (presumably from a raucous night out) and doing "things" very loudly for about an hour in the next room. The sound insulation between the rooms is poor and this just isn't good enough when you have beastly individuals sharing the building with you. It isn't nice when you have to be up promptly for work.

The next morning, I decided to just get out of the hotel as soon as possible, worried the staff would be overwhelmed by other guests wanting to leave at the same time. I got out of the building and out of the city as quickly as I could, waiting until I was on the train to eat breakfast.

I just found my entire stay very annoying, and I'm not usually an irritable person. Hilton Manchester was a big disappointment for me.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business