“Good hotel although it favours style over substance”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel although it favours style over substance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel is a very solid performer on the Hilton-standards scale, and looks and plays the part of a very stylish and upmarket property. This can however have its downsides. For example, the executive lounge is closed by 8pm so that the space can be subsumed into the lucrative 'Cloud 23' bar, for which people line up in all weathers.
The rooms are nicely furnished, and the beds comfortable and well furnished with pillows and linens. This time I had a room with a separate bath in the bathroom, and it does make a difference.
There was a rattle from the aircon system, and an engineer attended promptly, knew what to do and fixed it, something as a light sleeper I was very happy about.
Breakfast in the restaurant, off the lobby, is a full range of good quality, fresh and tasty food to suit most tastes, and this morning the service there was superb - attentive and anticipating needs which can make all the difference to getting a day off to a good start.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

I am pleased that your guest room was to your liking and that you had a good night’s sleep in our comfortable beds.

Thank you for your feedback relating to the closing time of our Executive Lounge. Unfortunately, due to fire regulations we are restricted to 300 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor. The Executive Lounge shares the 23rd floor with our Cloud 23 bar; therefore we have to stagger the opening times of both outlets.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast prior to departure and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

John McLaughlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

room well furnished and very comfortable - no noise issues and great views over the city

breakfast also good with nice quality ingredients and plenty of choice

cloud 23 bar - though a bit poncy was well worth a visit and drink - just for the views

I would definitely stay here again on business and or otherwise

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us recently; I am really pleased that you had an enjoyable stay

Thank you for visiting Cloud 23 and I am absolutely delighted that you great time and enjoyed the wonderful cocktails that our skilled team create for our guests whilst enjoying the wonderful views of Manchester and beyond.

My team and I look forward to your next visit, which I hope will be very soon.

Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

This experience was one I will be repeating. The hotel is excellent, the service is top and the location is ideal.
I would especially recommend Cloud 23 with its contemporary interior and beautiful view of the city, this is a must. The only issue I had was the one time I tried calling reception, it rang out for some time and I didn't get an answer so in the end I didn't book breakfast with the hotel and went out instead.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone.

I am absolutely thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you encountered excellent service throughout your stay.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

I am extremely sorry that your call to our Front Desk went unanswered. This is highly unusual. I have shared your feedback with our Front of House Manager to ensure that the shortfall you encountered does not recur in the future. Telephone answering in all departments is ordinarily of a high standard.

Thank you recommending us to fellow readers and we certainly hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton last Friday, as a special treat for my 40th birthday.My husband secretly arranged for some friends and family to come and surprise us by joining us for our evening meal.
The restaurant staff were fantastic and very helpful in making my surprise just that. The service and food was amazing, no problems whatsoever.....however we did feel that the setting was a little odd (in reception basically) and lacked atmosphere.
The hotel overall , we were not so overly enthusiastic about. Our mini fridge failed to activate, and it seemed they were unable to do anything about this.
The gym facilities were very basic and limited, have seen better hotel gyms at Mercure chains.
We went for drinks in Cloud 23 which we found very expensive although you do expect that. We were asked to leave the cloud at around 2am (we didn't start our meal until after 9 so it got late rather quickly) but were told we could get drinks at the podium bar.....no....they also had stopped serving, which I find quite strange for a hotel bar in the centre of Manchester. 4 of us were staying over, and were told at 3.30am that we were no longer able to get room service,again I find this odd in any hotel, and once again the drinks were overpriced!!
Breakfast in the morning was really just average, having to make your own toast and we also had to take milk off the table next to us as we never received any.
So overall, restaurant staff were fantastic as was evening food, but hotel overall was a little disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am delighted that you booked a room to stay with us to celebrate your birthday; it was our pleasure to form part of your celebrations.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience in Podium Restaurant. We are very fortunate to have a great team of Chef’s lead by Executive Head Chef, David Gale, who create wonderful dishes for our guests to enjoy. Your kind words have been shared with the kitchen brigade and indeed the team in Podium who had the pleasure of looking after you during your time in Podium Restaurant.

However, I am sorry that you felt the restaurant lacked atmosphere. I appreciate that the design of our hotel is not to everyone’s liking, however, we hope that this does not deter you from returning.

Thank you for visiting Cloud 23 during your stay. I can assure you that Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city and completed a cost analyst when putting Cloud 23 prices together.

I am bewildered as to the comment you received regarding the closing time of Podium Bar whilst you were enjoying your time in the bar. I have highlighted this to our Food & beverage Manager and he is in turn addressing this with his team to ensure that there is no recurrence.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed in the Hilton for a weekend trip to Manchester. It was very easy to find due to it being one of the tallest buildings in the area.

The hotel itself was very nicely presented, with a modern theme throughout. The rooms were very spacious, comfortable, very clean and with great views over the city. The only thing is the overpriced charges to access the WiFi.

The hotel was relatively close to the city centre, allowing us to walk/get a taxi to local restaurants. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone following your recent stay with us.

I am absolutely thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities and that you were able to appreciate enjoy the stunning views of Manchester and beyond from the comfort of your guest room.

I can assure you that I have taken your comment on board regarding our WIFI charges. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation.

I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Astana, Kazakhstan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

It's a shame that there is no free wi-fi services available in the room. In the 21st century this is simply not acceptable. I also think that for such a big hotel the gym could be bigger as it was difficult to access running machines in the morning. Also the lifting area is small and permits only one person at the time. The breakfast was nice, but it was difficult to arrange for a cup of tea/ coffee as sometimes there were no catering staff around. Also, one day my room wasn't cleaned during the day. Several people in my group had the same problem. I also think it would be complimentary to have slippers and a bathrobe in the room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Alexey Z
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and thank you for your feedback.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation.

I appreciate that our leisure facilities are not the largest; however they were designed to compliment the building design.

I note your comment regarding there being no robes or slippers in your room. Unfortunately without a room number I am unable to offer an exact explanation. The current Hilton Standard for our level of hotel does not insist that we provide such items as standard practise in our standard rooms; however we do in our Executive rooms. Our Housekeeping team would have been more than happy to offer robes to you should they have received a request.

I am sorry that your room not serviced in a timely manner during your stay. Our Housekeeping team have been made aware of this and I am sorry that we failed you on this occasion.

My team and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Manchester .UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

stayed a few times at the hotel, and it seems to get better with every visit,we were taking the grandkids,to see a few sites in manchester, we arrived early, but our rooms were not ready, but Pablo, who checked us in for the first room, said we were going to be upgraded to executive room, so gave us keys to executive club,and leisure club, great views, from the exe club, plus the kids were looking down the glass floor, Went back met with Jason at check in, for the other rooms, He was so helpful, again upgrade, placed a cot in each room, and told us we would get 50% on a second adjoining room,as they were for the kids, he was brill,also told us where to eat, and loads of other helpful info.I enjoyed it that much, stayed an extra day.The hotel is in a good situation, the Cloud bar is excellent(in the hotel) Lunch, and Breakfast was fantastic, and lots to see in walking distance,Best of all this week , got cards from grandkids, saying how much they enjoyed it(done by their parents, but it was a great touch) anyway thanks to all the staff, special thanks to Pablo, Jason, and staff in executive bar, kind regards saunders family.

Room Tip: be polite at check in, tell them any special needs, and join hilton honors,ask them what they would...