“Restaurant review”

Ranked #43 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Restaurant review”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed here on 31 October 2013. I have stayed here on several occasions for business but felt compelled to write a review after this visit in particular. The hotel is excellent. The rooms are spotless and the Crabtree and Evelyn products are a very nice touch in the bathroom! However it is the restaurant that will linger long in my memory! On Halloween evening 2 courses plus a cocktail were on offer before 7.00pm for twenty pounds. The menu is delicious and I was guided through it by the very charming Kasia. For customer care and attention she was first class. The salmon fish cakes for starter were delicious. The main course of tuna nicoise was amazing and redeemed my love of fresh tuna lost by a previous bad experience. The standard of food was exceptional and attention to detail was second to none. I am not normally a dessert lover but felt compelled to try the snickers brûlée I had read about in other tripadviser reports. All I can say is treat yourself to this because you will not be disappointed! In summary I would state that it is a long time from I have eaten such a delicious meal were one course was as exceptional as the next. The menu is exceptional value for money at all times but particularly before 7.00pm and the standard of food is higher than many more expensive restaurants I have tried in Manchester.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joanne186470
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you returned to stay with us on 31st October 2013.

I am pleased that your guest rooms was to your liking and that your room offered you all the amenities to make your stay a comfortable one.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience in Podium Restaurant. We are very fortunate to have a great team of Chef’s lead by Executive Head Chef, David Gale, who create wonderful dishes for our guests to enjoy. Your kind words have been shared with the kitchen brigade and indeed Kasia who had the pleasure of looking after you during your time in Podium Restaurant.

We hope that we are able to continue to welcome you back to the hotel when you stay in Manchester.

John McLaughlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just returned from two nights at the Hilton, Deansgate, Manchester. Speedy check in with friendly, efficient staff. Large bedroom but whilst the subdued lighting was attractive, it was hopeless for applying make-up! The shaving mirror in the bathroom was placed in a position where in order to apply my mascara, I had squash my face against the wall!! My room also felt cold although I adjusted the thermostat. I called down for assistance and was told it was working ok and was I ill to be finding it so cold!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up wearing a jumper over my nightdress! Room service offered a great choice of menu and was reasonably quick being delivered. One point over room service breakfast, before the server leaves, check that they have left you sufficient cutlery........... it's very hard eating Shredded Wheat with a teaspoon! Why do all hotels charge extortionate amounts for the mini bars? Apart from these little niggles, it was one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Manchester and I would probably stay their again. One tip, if you want to visit the spectacular Bar on the 23rd floor, make sure you book in advance. It is well worth it.

Room Tip: Higher floors would seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gail002
Dear Guest

I am pleased that you choose to stay with us during your time in Manchester and I am pleased that you experienced a warm and efficient welcome to the hotel.

I am sorry that you found you room to be too cold. Unfortunately with a room number I am unable to follow up on your feedback. However, please accept my apologies that your room was not at a comfortable temperature for you.

I have taken on board all of your comments regarding the design of our guest bedrooms. I can only apologise that the design features that our guest rooms have to offer are not to your liking. I appreciate that this is your personal choice and I am thankful that this will not deter you from returning to stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting that you find us to be one of the best hotels in Manchester that you have stayed in and my team and I hope that we are able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I recently stayed here with my daughter for a two night break, the hotel is elegant and set to a high standard, on arrival we were welcomed by manager Damien who was friendly and helpful. The room had a fantastic view and at night the fireworks/Halloween celebrations put on quite a show for us, the bathroom was spotless and bed was very comfortable. The breakfasts and one evening meal we had in the restaurant were fantastic. The hotel is well located near a train station for hassle free access around manchester. I have already recommended this hotel to my friends and I will definitely be back, thank you Hilton deansgate for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AndyEmbo
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us, I am pleased that we formed a convenient base for your visit to Manchester, we are very fortunate to be located near to all that Manchester has to offer including transport links.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome on your arrival to the hotel. I can assure you that our entire Front Office team have been made aware of your kind words especially Damien.

I am also really pleased that you enjoyed your guest rooms which allowed you to enjoy the wonderful views of Manchester and beyond from the floor to ceiling window that all of our guests rooms offer.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience in Podium Restaurant at breakfast and in the evening. We are very fortunate to have a great team of Chef’s lead by Executive Head Chef, David Gale, who create wonderful dishes for our guests to enjoy. Your kind words have been shared with the kitchen brigade.

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Went here on leisure, great location and great hotel, rooms great, most staff excellent
Breakfast disappointing, dirty glasses, cutlery, tables, no offer for hot beverages and a very sour welcome on each morning.
Reception great, rooms clean and great size.
You can't beat the location which detracts from the negative.
Spoke with the manager Damien, he was great and understanding.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently, I am pleased that the guest room offered to you was to your liking.

However, I am sorry that your breakfast experience was less than perfect. I have shared your feedback and observations with our Restaurant Manager so that they may review their operation to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am pleased that like many other guests, you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for your needs and I hope that you are able to return to stay with us in the future.

Sheffield
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've always wanted to stay in the Beetham tower as it's Manchester's highest building, this hotel did not disappoint. We booked an executive room on the 16th floor. The lifts are quick and give you no sensation of going up as high as you do. The room we initially had smelt a bit odd, we reported this to reception and were moved straight away into another room. The floor to ceiling windows give you a great view, the bed was large and comfortable and the shower and bath were fab. Sitting watching tv in the bath was fun. With our room came access to the executive lounge where we had free drinks and canapés in the early evening. The view from here across Manchester I expect cannot be beaten. We were seeing a concert at the arena and even though it was raining decided to walk up Deansgate to our destination. This took about 20 minutes and the arena was really easy to find. Breakfast the next day was served once again in the executive lounge and we were able to sit and watch the world go by from a great height once more. Thanks for a fabulous and special stay, it really made our first wedding anniversary.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind feedback with everyone.

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay.

I am really pleased that you booked to stay in an Executive room which allowed you to enjoy the wonderful views of Manchester and beyond from the comfort of your 16th floor guest room and our 23rd floor Executive Lounge.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time in our Executive Lounge and that our location worked well for your visit to the Phones 4u Arena.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your recent celebrations and we hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Perhaps a little unfair awarding three stars as opposed to four, but the amount spent on the room did not justify the experience, stay, or indeed the room itself.

To explain.....

Me and the other half booked an executive room to ensure we got the best from the "views" and add a nice touch of luxury to our trip to Manchester, which was to see the legend Billy Joel! The rooms are nice, ours however, to harmonise with the star rating I’ve awarded, was a bit grubby, (red wine stains on the dresser etc. not cleaned thoroughly). To be honest this did not really phase me or my partner. Another couple in our group did however have to move rooms due to the standard of cleanliness.

The rooms did not seem "executive" in any manner, and I believe the executive label is merely added for the further you up in the Beetham Tower. Remember while this magnificent building in colossal in size, the hotel only goes half way up. The Quality of the rooms and indeed the views we personally witnessed were comparable to the Holiday Inn over in Media City, which we stayed at for a third of our cost.

The service (albeit we didn’t give it much of a chance apart from the first encounter) was abysmal, we waited ten minutes for a drink in the ground floor bar before moving elsewhere, 3 bartenders with everything on there mind bar serving refreshments.

Also there was no chauffeur parking as advertised, not really a bugbear of mine, but its quite hard to determine the access road to this place off of Deansgate, one wrong turn and your all the way back round the one way system, That actually did become a bugbear at the time.

Location, cannot fault it. We were in walking distance of everything we could’ve possibly wanted to do. I have weighed up in my head that the savings of taxis possibly offset the cost in the rooms but due to service and impressions the hotel left, a 3 star average rating is more justified than the price they charge.

The executive lounge was ok, Free (admittedly delicious) breakfast, we envisaged a small cold continental selection, but there was all the helpings for a cooked breakfast. I believe if you pay for breakfast you simply just have it served to you rather than serve it yourself. Also in the lounge snack and soft drinks throughout the day, free alcohol is served between 6 & 8. Probably more for the business traveller than the leisure. We went in for drinks around 6:30, full and completely soulless. Ok, it was midweek, but to my knowledge a law had not been passed to prevent people from enjoying themselves and smiling. Few glasses of wine in there, and apart from the very comfortable nights sleep that was about it for our stay.

All the above said I probably would stay there again, There'd have to be more reasonable cost associated and I would indeed skip the executive part. Its just not worth the uplift, even for a very nice breakfast! Just remember your in one of or maybe, thee best city in the UK, plenty of places to get a fry up. Also if you want the view, the Cloud 23 bar (on the same floor as the exec lounge)offers this to public for cost of tap water.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for your visit to the city. We are very fortunate to be in walking distance of all that Manchester has to offer.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail the housekeeping issues in your room. I can assure you that our Housekeeping team have been made aware of your comments. I am disappointed to receive your comments as all areas of the hotel are ordinarily of a very high standard.

Please accept my apologies that you encountered a delay in service and delivery of your drinks whilst in Podium Bar. Our Food & Beverage Manager has been made aware of your comments and he taken action within his team to ensure that this does not happen again.

At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests however they do become taken quickly. When this is the case we are happy to offer our guests a discount when parking at the Great Northern car park, adjacent to the hotel entrance and our Front Office team are happy to validate the car parking tickets.

On a positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast in our 23rd Executive Lounge.

Thank you for highlighting that you will return to stay with us. We do offer deals via 3rd party website and I hope that you are able to take advantage of these and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is an impressive hotel in a good location with easy access to the trams and trains for city excursions. All the staff were very helpful and efficient. The breakfast was fantastic and the evening meal was delicious with plenty of choice. An overall excellent experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really do appreciate it.

I am pleased that you chose to stay with us and that that location of the hotel was suitable for your needs.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, our service, offerings and facilities.

Thank you for dining in Podium Restaurant, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience. I can assure you that our Executive Head Chef, David Gale has been given visibility of your kind words.

My team and I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.