“Spacious, well-appointed room - would return”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed on the 14th floor after requesting a high room. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and how well-appointed it was. Sky Sports on the TV was a big plus! My only criticisms would be that the air conditioning in the room wasn't powerful enough and the room got too hot. In addition to this the bed was just a double - not a queen or a king, and it seemed slightly out of place in such a large room. Having said that the bed was comfortable and we slept well. A few more minor criticisms - no price list for the mini bar and no dressing gowns.

Cloud 23 was fabulous (though seemingly it can only be accessed from a dedicated lift in the foyer). The views were incredible, staff friendly, and cocktails out-of-this-world. It's fair to say that it is pricey but we felt we were paying for the whole experience of being in such a gorgeous bar overlooking the city.

It was a pleasant surprise to note that the hotel swimming pool had viewing windows on the floor of the pool so that you can see down into the street. A nice touch! On a more critical note, the pool and the Jacuzzi area could have done with a good clean as the tiles were not looking their best (certainly not to the standard as shown in a promotional picture above).

Breakfast was good with lots of choice however for me it lacked slightly in taste. However the greatest criticism I have of the hotel is the staff - at breakfast we were not offered tea/coffee and I had to go in search of someone to bring us a small cup each. The reception staff were equally indifferent to us. We did not receive a warm welcome nor we were asked how our stay was on departure.

All in all I would certainly return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently.

I was disappointed and surprised to read your comment regarding our team members as we receive a high number of compliments relating to how friendly and accommodating they are. I am sorry that you did not encounter this during your stay.

I note your comment regarding there being no slippers or robes in your room on the 14th floor. The current Hilton Standard for our level of hotel does not insist that we provide such items as standard practise in our standard room. Our Housekeeping team are always happy to offer these to our guests on request.

Thank you for taking the time to visit Cloud 23 during your stay and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in the bar whilst enjoying the wonderful views.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Livingwell. I can assure you that the team do clean and clear throughout the day and I am sorry that they had not had the opportunity to do so as swiftly as they normally do at the time of your visit.

I am pleased that you found our breakfast to offer you a large selection; however I am disappointed to note that you found it lacked in taste. Whilst we have not received this feedback before, I have shared this with our breakfast kitchen team.

I really hope that you are able to return to stay with us when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here as an anniversary treat , we had wanted to stay here for a while and got an excellent deal on the Internet meaning that we got a executive room for a bargain price ! The room had amazing views, was very clean and spacious. Being in an executive room meant we had access to the executive lounge for free where we got free alcoholic drinks and canapés which was a lovely treat ! We had planned to use the pool and spa which we did however on a Saturday afternoon it was extremely busy and didn't manage to get a turn in the jacuzzi or steam room as they were full up with groups on hen and stag parties. We visited the cloud 23 which was the most special bar if ever visited, great views at night and table service but don't expect to pay less than £10 a drink ! Would defiantly re visit this hotel but would have to save it for a special occasion .

• Stayed: August 2013
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay and form part of your celebrations.

Thank you booking to stay in a one of our Executive rooms which allowed you to enjoy the hospitality of the team in the 23rd floor Executive Lounge.

I am delighted that you had a great time in Cloud 23 and that you enjoyed the variety of wonderful cocktails and again the spectacular views.

Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city, however we are pleased to be able to offer ‘deals’ and I hope that you are able to take advantage of one of them and stay with us again.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, when you may have time to use our leisure facilities.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Me and my husband stayed for one night as a base for a meal and drinks to celebrate my birthday. It was our 3rd stay and as usual the hotel didn't disappoint.

As this was the first time we've driven (we usually get the train), there was some confusion about where to self park. There is an NCP car park nearby but it mentions self parking for £15.00 for 24 hours on the Hilton website so we weren't sure if Hilton had their own customer car park, after driving around we pulled up at the front and asked. The Hilton car park in the basement is for Valet parking only which is £25 for 24 hours or alternatively we could park in the NCP next door which we did as it was only a short walk and Hilton validate your parking ticket with 15% off when you check out (works out as £15.64 for 24 hours).

Check in was quick and easy.

We stayed in an Executive King room on the 17th floor, nice views and on the whole clean and tidy. Quite disappointed with the mould in the shower and on the tiles. A bit of spray bleach would remove it and I wouldn't have guests round to stay with mould etc in my bathroom so don't think paying guests should have to put up with it. This was my main gripe though and wouldn't put me off staying again.

We had pre-dinner drinks in the executive lounge, there were also canapés. After dinner and drinks elsewhere we went up to the Cloud 23 bar. Please note, you need to make a reservation if you don't want to queue. Even if you're a Hilton guest as it has changed since we last stayed. Luckily I'd seen a review on here saying the same so knew to pre-book. The new bar is better than the previous layout and it has a nice atmosphere. Good table service too.

We didn't use the pool/spa on this trip and we didn't have breakfast in the executive lounge as we had a lunch reservation elsewhere.

Check out was also quick and easy.

We'll be back as really enjoyed our weekend but Hilton Deansgate, please make sure you start removing the mould from the bathrooms! Never good when my own bathroom is cleaner than the bathroom I pay to use!

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for returning to stay with us recently, I am delighted that you had a great stay with us.

At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests however they do become taken quickly. When this is the case we are happy to offer our guests a discount when parking at the Great Northern car park, adjacent to the hotel entrance and our Front Office team are happy to validate the car parking tickets. I am sorry if this was not clear prior to your arrival.

I am pleased that you received efficient service on your arrival and departure to the hotel, our team members are always happy to help.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail the cleanliness of the bathroom in your room which was clearly not to our usual high standard. There can be no excuse for poor cleanliness and I am very sorry that your room was not in perfect condition for your arrival. Our Housekeeping team do have an ongoing preventative programme in place with regards to bathroom mildew and I am sorry that this was not noticed prior to your arrival.

I am pleased that our 23rd floor was to your liking and that you enjoyed your time in Cloud 23 and our Executive Lounge.

Thank you for highlighting that you will return to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Hotel is situated in the center of the business area and is conveniently located outside the Deansgate station if you're in need of a public transport. For most part, the hotel staff is very responsive and nice, expect perhaps for the front desk that is normally a bit too "British" for my taste.

Keep in mind that rates range from 89 GBP to 199 GBP for the same 24 m2, depending on how many pillows there are in the bed. I would always go for the cheapest rooms unless you want the suites that are very nice indeed but in the 300+ GBP range.

Breakfast in the Executive Lounge is very bad and has no choices when it comes to breakfast, its much better to head downstairs where you'll get treated like a king and where the choices are more like one is used to at a Hilton.

The views are spectacular as the hotel is in the tallest building in Manchester.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is at the lowest price, and if your dates are fixed, pre-pay if for some hefty di...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay with us.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

The breakfast offering in the Executive Lounge is a reduced offering; however this should not affect the quality or your experience. We are happy for our guests to enjoy breakfast in Podium Restaurant, where there is a larger selection for our guests to choose from.

I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My second business stay at the Hilton Deansgate Manchester. Staff always welcoming, the place is stylish and calm. Views from the high rooms spectacular; rooms beautifully appointed. The pool, gym and spa very handy, clean and quiet. Best of all the staff are super-calm, efficient and look like they love being there. As do I.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Giovanna F
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on business recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and our service; I have certainly shared this with my team.

I am pleased that you had time to enjoy our leisure facilities and that you were able to appreciate the wonderful views from the hotel.

The team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are delighted to be able to offer you a warm welcome and efficient service and we hope that you are able to return to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester, maybe on leisure, when we can look after you once again.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The bar manager has very poor attitude to customers. He needs a basic course in interpersonal skills.

He was rescued by very competent and professional management, but it shouldn't have to that way.

The Exec rooms on the higher floors are worth staying in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank raringtyke

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us, however I am very disappointed to read your review following your visit to Cloud 23 recently.

I am absolutely horrified and shocked to read your point regarding the manner of team member in Cloud 23. I will not accept or tolerate this type of behaviour, as a four star deluxe hotel, we pride ourselves on service standards. I can assure you that the entire Cloud 23 team have been addressed following your comments.

On a positive note, I am delighted to note that your Executive room was to your liking and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel and Cloud 23, as you have certainly not experience Cloud 23 as it should be.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you stay here, you MUST go to Cloud 23 the cocktail bar on the 23rd floor. I'd also recommend an executive room as it gives you access to the executive lounge also situated on the 23rd floor. We really enjoyed our stay here and will definately be going back :-)

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us recently. I am really pleased that you were able to stay in a one of our Executive rooms which allowed you to enjoy the hospitality of the team in the Executive Lounge.

Thank you for visiting Cloud 23 and I am absolutely delighted that you great time and enjoyed the wonderful cocktails that our skilled team create for our guests.

My team and I look forward to your next visit, which I hope will be very soon.

Laura McEwan