“Manchester's Tallest”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here recently for a night as I was in town for a rock concert, I chose the hotel because I wanted a touch of luxury added to the occasion.
The hotel is situated at the bottom end of Deansgate, quite close to the Metrolink tram stop and Deansgate rail Station. Next door to the property is Great Northern which is leisure and shopping complex. The main city centre shops is within a 8 minute stroll.
Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted with a warm friendly manor, the check in procedure was quick and painless. My room 620, was large and clean with a view of Deansgate tram stop.
The pool was lovely and the Jacuzzi was most inviting after the hectic day I’d just had, an ideal way to relax before heading out to dinner for the evening.
The breakfast in the morning was extremely busy, but I did choose to at a peak time of 10am. We waited around 5 minutes to be seated and once in the food was your typical hot and cold buffet. The breakfast was good although to be fair I think I’ve had nicer in other Manchester city centre hotels of the same ranking.
In short if you are looking for swanky hotel for a night or two then this hotel ticks all the boxes, although its not my favourite in Manchester city centre, I would choose this property again if I wanted to be that area or if my preferred choice was unavailable.

Room Tip: ask for a room on either a high floor or one that doesn't face Deansgate.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Manchester, I am pleased that our location was suitable for your needs. We are very fortunate with regards to our location as our guests are able to explore and visit that all Manchester has to offer its visitors within walking distance.

I am also pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome. I can assure you that reception team have been made aware of your kind words.

I can only apologise that you visited Podium restaurant for breakfast during a peak time when we experience an influx of guests wishing to enjoy breakfast at the same time. However I please that you enjoyed our breakfast offering.

Thank you for highlighting that you would return to stay with us and we certainly do hope that we have that pleasure soon.

John McLaughlin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,602)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

went here on business , took my wife and enjoyed a game at Old Trafford.We walked backed from the stadium ,which took about 20 minutes. Viewing gallery was excellent. Staff very pleasant. nice areas within a short walk for good bars ,restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: try booking with Trivago. we got a massive saving and upgraded our room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us when you attend Old Trafford to watch Manchester United.

I am pleased that you find the hotel to be suitable for your visits to the city and that our location is perfect for your needs.

The team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are delighted to be able to offer you a warm welcome and efficient service and we hope that you are able to return to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The selling point for this average modern hotel is the view from the upper floors which are very impressive. But you don't have to stay at the hotel to enjoy the view - just make a booking for the Cloud 23 bar, or you can join a short queue for the bar. Paying hotel guests have no priority access they just have to wait in the queue with non guests - a unique executive hotel experience.
In a popular waiter/waitress service bar you'd expect a waiter for each of the six areas - not at the full of its self Hilton. Expect to wait a long time to order a drink and then a long long time for a drink to arrive as the service is hopeless and understaffed.
The modern building is low quality design and has dismal dimly lit corridors which are very hot and stuffy. The rooms are plain bland and nothing special at all - apart from the view out of the window that is.
The guest room welcome tray (grovel on the floor to get it out of the cupboard) is basic, no biscuits, and not as good as in many other hotels.
However, top marks to Hilton for the complementary bottles of mineral water!
The bathrooms are very nice and well designed, although the toiletries are only average.
As for the rip-off charges for internet access - just go to a coffee cafe or library for free access.
Now the high quality Hilton executive service - not:
I asked for a blanket and was told there are blankets in the rooms - no there are not, just the cheap bedding and duvet.
The "executive lounge" is limited opening hours. A locked door accessed only with your room key card (another unique experience) - but my key card didn't work - so all the way down to reception to join the queue of people trying to book in. I gave up and went for a meal.
Later I complained, as I wanted breakfast the following morning. The reception staff "refreshed" my room key card, but no apology or attempt to make good the significant lack of a service.
The breakfast in the exec lounge is a small buffet selection of hot and cold food - it is good enough and nicely presented, although tea is just a teabag in a cup which isn't very 1st class.
At checkout I stated that I wasn't happy with my stay at Hilton - but nothing was done to resolve that because Hilton don't actually care about their customers.
Was I impressed with Hilton? = No. Just an average standard with ideas and prices above what it actually provides. Would I recommend Hilton? = No.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view and room. I think the Executive rooms are higher up and there...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review, we appreciate your time.

On a positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed the views from the hotel during your time with us.

However, I am disappointed that that you encountered below standard service whilst in Cloud 23. I can assure you that all areas of the hotel are fully staffed at all times and I can only apologise if you felt otherwise. The team in Cloud 23 have been made aware of your feedback to ensure that that this is not repeated.

I have taken on board all of your comments regarding the design of our guest bedrooms and corridors and I can only apologise that the design features that our hotel offer are not to your liking. I appreciate that this is your personal choice. However I am pleased that your guest room bathroom you to your liking.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level, however I can assure you that we are competitively priced with other hotels in the city.

Due to fire regulations we are restricted to 300 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor. The Executive Lounge shares the 23rd floor with our Cloud 23 bar; therefore we have to stagger the opening times of both outlets in order that we can demonstrate fairness to all interested parties.

We offer a vingcard entry system into our 23rd floor Executive Lounge to ensure that our Executive room guests have access throughout the day using their own key card. I am sorry that encountered an inconsistency with your key card during your stay. On occasion, we do find that keys de-active when placed next to magnets, mobile phones or car key fobs. I will ensure that our Front of House team advise our guests at check in that this is a possibility.

I am shocked to read that you were not offered an apology following you kindly sharing your comments with our Reception Team on check out. All team members are fully trained to deliver a high standard of service. I can assure you that the entire team on the front desk have been made aware of your comments. I am confident that ill will was intended towards you personally.

I truly do hope that you have a change of heart and are able to visit us in the future to experience us at our best.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

spent 2 days at this hotel,fantastic hotel with great service from all the staff ,from the reception staff ,to the indoor pool/spa staff,and the staff at breakfast were all friendly and very helpful. Rooms were fine,and the cloud 23 bar was great to spend an hour before venturing into Manchester for the night ,the staff in the bar were also great. Best hotel weve stayed in Manchester.

Room Tip: high room for nice views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for spending 2 days with us. We are absolutely delighted to learn that you rank us number 1 in Manchester.

I am thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities and service.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we hope that you will be returning to stay with again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Beautiful hotel, excellent views especially from the Executive Lounge. Staff very helpful and friendly. Location is excellent, plenty of shopping, dining and entertainments within walking distance. My only complaint is what seems like cursory housekeeping. Not all surfaces wiped down each day and wastebaskets not emptied.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am really pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I am delighted that you found the team members in all areas of the hotel to be welcoming and accommodating and that looked after you during your stay.

I am thrilled that you able to enjoy the hospitality of the team in the Executive Lounge and enjoy the wonderful views from the 23rd floor.

I am really sorry that your stay was marred by poor housekeeping and I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping team. I hope that this does not deter you from returning to stay with us again

Kind regards

Reviewed June 20, 2013

we arrived at the hotel and was greeted by lovely staff on reception, very helpful, friendly and smiling. the room was great, we went to the cloud 23 bar which was oustanding, both in experience and also the customer service, by far the best i have ever had. loved it, breakfast was good apart from a member of the team who was unprofessional, and lacked customer service skills, everyone else was great, unfortunately i did email the hotel before we went and said it was for our anniversary but they didnt know and also when we went to the bar in cloud 23 a girl there said i wish we knew we would of done something special for you. so that was a shame, apart from that we enjoyed our stay and would love to come back again if we can get a good deal. thank you

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your wedding anniversary; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome to the hotel and I am glad that you had time to visit our newly refurbished 23rd floor Cloud 23, we are delighted that you felt that it delivered on the wow factor.

I am thrilled that all team members with the exception of one offered you amazing customer service and that they looked after you during your stay. The breakfast team have been addressed to share your comment and I hope that you accept my apologies as this is not acceptable and I am disappointed that we were left down by one team member.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast prior to your departure and my team and I are delighted to learn that you would return to the hotel. We certainly look forward to that occasion.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were originally staying in the Hilton Doubletree Hotel, Manchester but as this hotel was closed on the day we were staying Hilton upgraded us to the above hotel.
Lovely hotel, staff very helpful and courteous. Breakfast excellent. Would definitely come to this hotel again if staying in Manchester.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rosemary09
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us recently.

I am absolutely thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we are delighted that you will be returning to stay with again and we certainly look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back.