“Great hotel, with room for improvement though”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The location of the hotel was absolutely perfect for my visit, as it is very close to the centre of Manchester (10 minute walk). The appearance of the hotel both internally and externally is stunning, and the room was very good - absolutely 4 star standard. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom well appointed and I was impressed with the size of the room.
But there were a few things that disappointed me. As you will see from the photo that I have uploaded, when I first entered my room after checking in I discovered a large stain on the carpet. I immediately informed Guest Services (mainly so that they didn't think I had done it!) and the lady I spoke to was apologetic. But I did feel let down - not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. Another part of my experience that wasn't quite up to scratch was breakfast. A lot of the food on the buffet was cold, and we had to wait a long time to get served coffee.
But overall I think this is a good hotel, and I do recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The higher the better - fantastic views of Manchester on offer
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you found our appearance to be internally and externally stunning that that the guest room offered to you was to your liking.

I am also pleased that like many other guests, you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for your needs.

However, I am sorry that your breakfast experience was less than perfect. Our breakfast offering is prepared fresh daily and is replenished regularly. I am sorry that you encountered a delay in receiving coffee and I have shared your observations with our Restaurant Manager so that she may review her operation of breakfast service.

Please accept my apologies that the carpet in your room had a mark on it. This is certainly not to our standards and I can confirm we have a small number of carpets to be replaced.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel to experience our breakfast service at its best.

John McLaughlin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,603)

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night for 'Hearts and Minds' charity ball. Room was on the 8th floor, very well equipped with iron / ironing board etc.

Hotel was very Christmasy. The bar on the ground floor has large leather couches, Cloud 23 is really nice but was very warm and the function room was very nice. The food at the ball and breakfast was really good.

The pool and leisure facilities were very good.

This is a very stylish hotel, with good facilities and good food. I am looking forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Manchester.

We were delighted to be able to host the ‘Hearts and Minds’ charity event at the hotel at the weekend and we are thrilled that a great night was had by all.

I am really pleased that you had a good stay with us and that you were able to visit most of our outlets/facilities during your stay.

Thank you for saying that you will stay again and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Customer Service - Rubbish!
Why not pay a fortune for a room just so that you can queue for ages whilst friends of the staff go straight to the front of the queue to get into cloud 23?
Room noisy!
Breakfast cold!
Staff clearly not trained!

Stick with The Lowry, Radisson or Midland!....

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wigidawack

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to read your review.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your experience during your stay. I am sorry that your stay was not a positive one and your comments have been shared and addressed with the relevant head of department to ensure we do not receive any similar feedback.

I do hope that you have a change of heart and are able to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Ideally placed for the Manchester Central convention centre, this for me was the perfect business hotel. Fast check-in, everything I needed in the room - wifi, decent iron/board (never have worked out how to fold things so they come out flat), good bathroom, comfy bed, large desk with enough sockets - and a fast check-out, swift bag store and retrieve, and taxi on demand. On top of that, great city views from a panoramic window on a high floor, decent minibar, and a quite dark room for a great sleep.

Works for me!

1  Thank skyjockey99
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us recently and I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with efficient service.

I am pleased that like many other guests that you found the views from the hotel to be stunning.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon, maybe on leisure, when we can look after you once again.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Quite impressive tower building and foyer. Had to wait to be attended to at checkin desk despite numerous member of staff floating around. Ask about early check in but was politely told "no".
Eventually checked in after 3pm. Given 8th floor. Slight odd musty/cleaning product odour on entering room which unfortunately faced the busy lift foyer for that floor. Excellent presentation of room with large fluffy pillows. Room was freezing (temp 16dec) and despite adjusting thermostat couldnt feel any change in temp. Bathroom a very odd shape with the WC hidden behind the door , almost like the designer forgot an had to squeeze it in somewhere. Fountain style main tap at sink was difficult to operate and often couldnt get it to go off. Everywhere extremely dim with minimal presumably mood style lighting from bedrooms, corridors and in main breakfast area. Flimsy walls- nearly pulled wall out with Iphone charger. Got stuck in middle lift on the way down when going out for dinner. Downstairs there was a noisy racket of a band playing at the entrance to what appeared to be a nightclub with a queue of punters snaking through the main foyer and intimidating bouncers hovering about. Next morning- again had to wait in a queue to check-out (suppose I could have looked for an express checkout) Buffet breakfast items were slightly lukewarm and the toaster had a mind of its own. Overall ok- but with all these minor discrepancies certainly not worthy of the expense.

Room Tip: high floor away from lifts
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed here one night for a conference, and found it thoroughly enjoyable. The hotel is in a new high - rise tower, seemingly one of the highest buildings in Manchester. The lobby etc are modern, spacious, and nicely done, in a fairly glam kind of way - lots of light, chrome and blond wood. The night I was there Manchester City were staying and there were lots of fans hanging around the coach outside, which added to the glamorous atmosphere.

My room was not huge but comfortable, clean and attractively modern. Conference facilities are excellent, and the food is good too. The dinner I had was very good indeed.

Didn't pay, so can't comment on value, and I have a feeling it might be quite pricey. I also don't know Manchester well enough to comment on the location, but the immediate area seems lively and interesting.

1  Thank berkshire_nomads

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share you kind feedback with everyone following your stay with us whilst attending a conference.

I am absolutely delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities and service.

I am happy that you found the hotel to be modern and to your liking in many ways.

I do hope that you are able to welcome you back to the hotel for business or leisure in the near future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My partner booked a room at the Hilton as a special treat for Christmas, to be honest we've stayed in cheaper and better hotels, I had a shower and when I got out the whole bathroom had flooded and when we reported it to reception it took them over an hour to come and clean it up so I ended up doing it myself, they made no attempt to fix it while we stayed there and they didn't even offer us an alternative room, I found the staff very unaccomadating boardering rude, also the bar and snacks upstairs were supposed to be free but as there was hardly anything to choose from we didn't stay long, so in short very very expensive and poor quality for the ridiculous amount of money we paid !

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Amanda74uk

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to read your review.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail the maintenance of room allocated to you during your stay with us. There can be no excuse for poor maintenance and I am very sorry that the room offered to you was not in perfect condition for your arrival. This has been addressed with the relevant head of Department to ensure we do not receive any similar feedback.

I am very disappointed and surprised to read your comments regarding the team members within the hotel. Our entire team work tirelessly to assist all of our guests the best they can. Although this is the first time that I have received such feedback and whilst I am sure that no ill will was intended towards you I have shared your feedback with the management team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.