“You Need A Head For Heights!!!!”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Douglas
“You Need A Head For Heights!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed on the 15th floor, I almost fainted when I heard the floor number. The lift door opened and there was just window from floor to ceiling. Huge window in the room also with a great view when I finally got close to it.
Had dinner two nights in the restaurant and the food and service were second to none, really very good. Did't get to the 23rd floor bar I think they would have need an ambulance to get me back down.
All in all really good, try the pool, strange see people under it!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review, and your very kind feedback.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the views from the floor to ceiling windows that the hotel has to offer in many areas and that you had time to enjoy our swimming pool.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in Podium Restaurant and that the food served was second to none.

I do hope that you will return to us in when you next visit Manchester.

Bernadette Gilligan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

checked into our average double room on the 15th floor which had a rather small double bed. There was a plate left on the side with " Happy Birthday" written in chocolate with some old strawberries and blueberries which looked like it had been there for days......it was not mine or my husbands birthday!.

We has arranged to meet friends for a drink in Cloud 23 on the 23rd floor. We were initially refused a table and service despite the fact there were other people drinking beer, wine, tea, coffee etc and the place was practically empty. i argued long and hard with a rather pompous young man who said that the people drinking had booked Afternoon Tea three months ago and that is why they could have a drink!.....madness. We eventually had a tea and coffee and thought we had been stood up by our friends when in fact they had been prevented from getting the lift up to meet us.

i would not stay here again......breakfast was a bun fight and we had to wait ages to get tea/coffee......on the plus side it finishes at 11.00am but then again it would need to!

1 Thank lasvegasking
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback following your stay with us.

Firstly, I am sorry that a celebration plate was present in your room on arrival, this is an oversight on our part and I hope that you accept my apologies.

I am very sorry that you received a poor welcome when you arrived in Cloud 23 during your stay. The bar area is open for High Tea only from 12.00 noon – 4.00pm and then reopens again at 5.00pm for cocktails. The team have been addressed following your feedback to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am sorry to read that you not choose to stay with us again, however I do hope that you have a change of heart and allow us to demonstrate our normally high level of service.

surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed one night at the hilton deansgate as we were attending an event at the brigdewater hall which was literally 2 mins walk away. We stayed in a queen bed room on the 10th floor with a really good view of the city through the floor to ceiling windows which took up a whole wall.

The room was superbly decorated with a relaxing decor and was really spacious and we would definitely stay here again. It was really the last word in a high class hotel from the elegantly decorated lobby to cloud 23 the wine bar on the 23rd view where the view just could not get any better.
Pros- Fantastic breakfast my husband was in seventh heaven.
Great extra long stunning swimming pool with jacuzzi and wet and dry sauna
Do not miss a trip to cloud 23
Availability of water and ice machine near the lift on our floor
2mins walk from Deansgate train station which was 25 mins from Manchester airport
Free city bus which goes from outside hotel to city centre every 10mins (green bus)

Cons- Parking limited from what I heard from the other customers
Bottle of water in room £3.95 ' are you kidding me'
Not enough lockers in changing room for pool and no swimwear dryer
Check in could be faster

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 7th floor to get a good city view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

My team and I were more than happy to have you stay with us recently and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and that you enjoyed your room, the view, your breakfast and our location.

I note your comment regarding our car parking. At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests however they do become taken quickly. When this is the case we are happy to offer our guests a discount when parking at the Great Northern car park, adjacent to the hotel entrance and our Front Office team are happy to validate the car parking tickets.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to return to the hotel and have another enjoyable stay with us.

Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

we stayed at the hIlton for one night as a treat after seeing Peter Kay at the MEN, the views from the room were stunning, overlooking the city. the room was ok, no more special than the premier inn at Liverpool dock. staff were friendly and breakfast good. however i was very disappointed that we were unable to use the bar at 4pm on friday as we had no reservation. apparently this needs to be booked 3 months in advance. we were told to return in an hour and would be given priority over off the street clients. we chose not to bother. overall we had a lovely weekend but will consider other options before booking the hilton deansgate again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with everyone.

I am happy that you found the views from your room to be stunning, the views of Manchester from the hotel are wonderful.

I am sorry that you were not able to access Cloud 23 at 4.00pm. I am happy to confirm that we serve High Tea from 12.00 noon to 4.00pm in Cloud 23 and then the bar is refreshed to open at 5.00pm. Should you wish to make a reservation for either High Tea or Cloud 23 we are happy to take reservations on 0161 870 1688.

I appreciate that Manchester has many other hotels for our visitors to choose from, however I do hope that you decide to return to us in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

Hotel:
Very nice hotel; lovely to look at and stunning architecture

Food:
Breakfast was great although quite a large queue which wasn't being managed too well. There was in fairness, a wedding the night before so the hotel was fully-booked.

The Room:
We stayed in a high-floor Executive Room with a beautiful view over the city. Highly recommended and definitely worth the extra to upgrade.

Executive Lounge:
Gorgeous lounge offering complimentary alcoholic drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Stunning views over the city and well worth the extra for the upgrade coupled with the lovely room as mentioned.

In summary, an excellent hotel worth the little extra money for that extra special stay! Excellent staff too.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the Executive which gives you free access to the Executive lounge.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your stay with us recently.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and that your guest room was to your liking and that you found the hotel to be stunning and like many other guests you found our team members to be excellent.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy our 23rd floor Executive Lounge. We receive great feedback from our Executive guests and I am happy that you were able to book to stay in an Executive room which give you complimentary access to our Executive Lounge.

I note your comment regarding the busy breakfast. We do encounter busy periods throughout the weekend, however we are fully staffed to accommodate our guests and I am sorry that you had a small waited to be seated, the team have been made aware of your comment.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us should you return to Manchester in the future.

Skipton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

I'm sticking with verdict of "average" but considering price and reputation and expectations i was expecting better, so i nearly ranked it as poor....anyway on balance average.

First the good points:
convenient for City centre
nice swimming pool
nice view looking down onto street from running machines in gym
reasonable breakfast (although orange juice is just diluted concentrate)
spectacular views from higher floors
individual members of staff very friendly (even if they didn't return my call about AC not working!)

not so good points:
only 2 lifts operating for 22 floors... what a wait...
first room we were put in was allegedly a "non smoking room" but it stank, so we asked to move
Next room: room AC was not able to cool room down at all, it was only able to heat it up. so we had a baking hot night!
bed a rather saggy, open coil mattress, fairly small for a double bed - most hotels offer a better sized double bed
web-site advertises parking in hotel car park. It was not available when we arrived, however, a cheaper car park exists across the street anyway.

1 Thank DamLou
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and sharing your feedback with everyone.

I am glad that we were a convenient base for your visit to Manchester, we are fortunate to be located close to all the amenities that Manchester has to offer.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your swim and our gym area, and that breakfast was to your liking.

I am sorry that you found your room had an odour of stale smoke. I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper and she has confirmed that she did not received a report from her housekeeping team highlighting that a non smoking room had been smoked around the date of your stay. When we do find ourselves in this situation we have sophisticated equipment that eliminates odours.

During your stay with us we unfortunately encountered a malfunction with one of our guest lifts, which was out of our control. An engineer was immediately called, unfortunately we were forced to wait for a part before the engineers could rectify the problem.

At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests on a first come first served basis. These do become full very quickly, therefore we are delighted to be able to offer our guests a 20% discount when parking at the Great Northern car park, adjacent to the hotel entrance.

I am pleased to tell you all our mattresses are being replaced over the coming weeks in line with Hilton Worldwide�s stringent brand standards.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

A well appointed modern city centre hotel. The rooms are above average in size and fitted out with everything you could need for a short stay. The pool has a great feature which makes the hotel stand out from the crowd.

Room Tip: The Cloud Bar on the 23rd floor is well worth a visit. Book a table if you can if you are booking in...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with everyone.

I am really pleased that your visit to Manchester was a positive one and I hope that this trip was the first of many to our wonderful city.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am pleased that you were able enjoyed our facilities and service and I am glad that you had time to enjoy a swim and a cocktail or two in Cloud 23.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.