“Fantastic weekend”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #47 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We had a lovely weekend here. Hotel is spotless, staff really helpful and friendly.
As we have Hilton Honors our package included breakfast which was superb, they even had someone manning the toast machine!
We ate dinner in the Podium restaurant, think it was £29 for 3 course PP, gorgeous food.
Cloud 23 is amazing too, we got in for opening at 5pm and it was full by twenty past so be prepeared to queue!
As a hotel guest you dont get automatic entry to C 23 but you do get priority, as it only holds 200. The views over Cheshire were awe inspiring.
No parking, but then thats general for City centre, but massive cap park nearby (think NCP) If by train get off at Deansgate,you are virtually oposite the hotel.
A good tip for a fab bar and restaurant called Dukes 92/Alberts shed, go out of the hotel and walk over by the canal and around the corner, a great place to sepnd an afternoon in the sun (huge outdoor space) Oh a good food too!
Back to the hotel, naturally pricy for its location, £7 glass of wine £10.50 for a champagne cocktail in Cloud 23, but well worth it for a wekend! Enjoy

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback following your stay with us.

My team and I were more then happy to have you stay with us recently and I am delighted that you had a fantastic weekend and that you enjoyed the service and the facilities that the hotel had to offer.

I am pleased that like a lot of our other guests, you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for the many shops, restaurant and bars that Manchester has to offer.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to return to the hotel and have another enjoyable stay with us.

Bernadette Gilligan

Write a ReviewReviews (4,643)

Reviewed August 2, 2011

This place justifies the Hilton brand. The staff are welcoming and just attentive enough without being intrusive. Everything clicks without apparent effort. The room was very clean and comfortable and the view over the city was stunning especially at night. The hotel is in a great location near the tram, the station and many clubs and attractions are nearby. We easily walked into the centre for the shops too. We were sorry to leave after our long weekend and that’s the true measure of how much we rated this hotel and the service. A firm favourite of ours now.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view. Pay for an executive room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review and for sharing your positive feedback with everyone.

I am really pleased that you found all team members to be welcoming and attentive and that they looked after you during your stay.

I am glad that your guest room was to your liking and that you were able to enjoy the spectacular views of the city, especially at night.

We are very fortunate to be ideally located for most transport links and Manchester attractions, which I hope you had time to visit.

I am thrilled that following your stay that we have become a firm favourite of yours and we I hope we have the opportunity to look after you again in the future.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I last stayed in this hotel around three years ago and was impressed. I have made returns to Manchester since then but have elected to stay else-where. Despite liking the Hilton very much (based on my last stay) I felt better value was to be had in other Manchester Hotels. It's usual rates are fairly expensive!

The Hilton great getaway promotion tempted me back with £130 for B&B for two.

I booked two rooms and was upgraded to the executive floor, I thought this was due to my status in the Hilton Honors programme but when paying the bill discovered I had been charged for the upgrade, my effusive thanks to the receptionist may have given some indication that I thought I was getting something for free!

I had used the exec lounge on my previous stay. Alas, on this stay it was so packed that using it was not an option. It was rammed, so not a great benefit,and no advantage in paying the extra.

The room and bathroom were both fine. The standard of the bathroom probably better than the standard of the bedroom and surprisingly, no wi-fi in the hotel and the standard rate of £15 per day for wired internet access is steep.

The air-con could be a bit snappier and easier to use. The lifts were slow and waiting times could be lengthy, a problem the hotel shares with its counterpart in Glasgow.

Breakfast the usual Hilton fare and the staff coped well with the deluge of guests on Sunday morning. No queues, food replenished and a great effort given the amount of guests.

I feel it was ok for the money I originally paid but not great after paying for the upgrade which gave few discernible and useable benefits. It's a huge hotel and whilst able to cope on some levels (breakfast) it did not deliver on others (lifts, exec lounge).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this detailed review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our recent promotion and that this gave you the opportunity to return.

I am sorry that our 23rd floor Executive Lounge was busy when you visited. Guests staying in our Executive guest rooms have complimentary access to the 23rd floor lounge and it is exceptionally popular. I can assure you that we do monitor entry into the lounge and I am confident that the guests that were present in the lounge were entitled to enjoy this facility. Unfortunately we can not control the length of time that our guests wish to stay in the lounge.

I note your comment regards Wi-Fi and I am happy to confirm that Wi-Fi is available in full via BT Openzone on the Ground, 1st, 2nd and 23rd floors. Floors 4-22 have high speed internet available through cable connection. The good news however, is that Hilton Worldwide are currently reviewing all aspects of our WiFi and Internet policy. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation and I look forward to being able to update you in the very near future.

Thank you once again for your comments and whilst I do appreciate that Manchester has a large number of hotels for our visitors to choose from, I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Just returned from the Hilton Hotel in Deansgate, Manchester. I have to say it was fantastic! The lobby is lush, just what I expected of a new modern Hilton Hotel.

We had a very welcoming from the receptionist, who was a trainne and told us everything we needed to know etc..

Our room was 1116 on the 11th Floor looking towards Stockport way.
The room again was fantastic, floor to roof windows, lovely decorated, flat screen TV, Mini bar, Queen size bed.
The bathroom was also great, nice and spacious and very modern.
Couldnt fault the room one bit!!!

We went to a concert that night and on return we went upto Cloud 23, and I have to say this is a must if you are staying at this hotel! Its got great views over Manchester, attentive staff and just a great place to 'chillax'. The cocktails are really nice espically 'The Hat' all at normal hotel prices.

The following morning went down to breakfast Mon-Fri 6.30 - 10.30am.
The restaurant is nice, modern, spacious again with friendly attentive staff.
Good selection of ceral, cold meats, cakes, pasteries, fruit and yogurts.
It had a very good selection of cooked food aswell - everything there for a proper English Breakfast.

Checkout was at 12 - again really attentive staff and farewells given.

We paid £80 for 1 night b&b and couldnt fault it espically at that price. We are definatley returning soon to this hotel and I would recommened it to anyone!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review following your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled that you found every aspect of the hotel to be excellent; that you enjoyed our facilities and that you were able to enjoy the wonderful views from your 11th floor guest room and Cloud 23 cocktail bar.

I am really pleased that you received attentive service from the teams in all areas of the hotel and they have been made aware of your kind words.

Thank you for recommending us to others and I do hope that you are able to return in the future when we will have the opportunity once again to look after you.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights and had an enjoyable stay. The room / bathroom were a good size and the floor to ceiling windows offered an excellent view. Although you can see the trams / trains you cannot here them. The rooms have all the facilities that you would expect. I visited Clouds, the bar on the 23rd floor. The view was good, but the cocktails were average and there is always a queue to get in. If you are a hotel guest go the the front of the line and you will be given priority access. For better quality cocktails, value for money and ambience i would recommend Australasia which is under a 5 minute walk away at Spinningfields inDeansgate. It is right in front of Armani Exchange but easy to miss as the entrance is all glass and the bar and restaurant is underground, but amazingly light and airy. I would stay at the Hilton again, but only when there was an offer on, as Manchester has several other very good hotels. I only ate breakfast in the restaurant, which was the usual buffet, The Spa was good value for money, compared with hotels / spas in the South of Enlgand, but it is relatively new and you may have to wait for your treatement as they are often running behind.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

I am glad that you found your guest room and bathroom to be a good size and that you enjoyed the views of Manchester from the floor to ceiling windows that all of our guests rooms offer.

I am pleased that you were given priority access to Cloud 23 as a valued resident and that you were able to enjoy breakfast in Podium restaurant.

I appreciate that Manchester has a number of high quality hotels and I am thankful that you chose to stay with us on this occasion and I do hope that you are able to return in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I've stayed in a lot of Hiltons and have been a gold card customer with them for years. This is the worst by far. If you want to stay in a travel lodge but want to pay a lot more then this place could be for you. In fact travel lodge rooms are nicer than the ones in this Hilton. The first room I was shown wasn't accessible and I need it to be. The second was worse so was told to wait in executive lounge while another was cleaned. After 45 minutes went to this other room it was accessible. That was about it though. The room stunk to high heaven. The air conditioning made a lot of noise but that's all it did. The room hadn't been dusted in months. It was smallest accessible room I've seen you couldn't swing a cat in there. We were given a 4" fan that was really bad but we couldn't get it anywhere near the bed as there was no sockets anywhere near the bed. Some of those sockets didn't even work. Then the Internet wouldn't work for more than 5 minutes at a time not worth the £15 a day they charge people. The executive lounge was busier than Piccadilly station and was ok if you dont like to sit down.

After complaining about state of room was told to stay one night and they would show me a suite next day. So I thought might as well try one night and see if problems could be worked out. Hoping for a room that was clean and had an air conditioner that worked. I had the worst night of my life with no sleep I the sweltering conditions.

When down to reception next morning was told they were moving us to a junior suite. So I though at least they are trying to help. So they told me they would move my luggage into the new room when I got back.

That evening got back to hotel to be told the luggage was still in old room and they wanted another £300 for the junior suite. I told them they had led me to believe it was a comp upgrade after problems I had and they denied this. So at that time of night I think they thought I would pay the extra money. There was no way I was doing that so went home 4 hours drive away. A week away with family spoiled. It's put me off Hilton that are normally decent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Mac147
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this detailed review following your recent stay with us and for taking the time to speak with our Director of Operations on the telephone to discuss your comments in detail.

I can assure you that the 1st room allocated to you on arrival was an accessible room; however I appreciate without a bath and I am pleased that an alternative room was ready for you within 20 minutes.

I can confirm that the air conditioning unit in your room was working to standard, however I appreciate that the lowest setting was not cool enough for your personal preference. We would have been more than happy to offer the use of a fan for your room as a further way to make you feel cooler.

I was surprised to read that you found your guest room to be small in size. This is the first time that we have received a negative comment regarding our accessible rooms as at 28sqm.

I have taken on board your comment regarding our Executive Lounge. Guests staying in our Executive guest rooms have complimentary access to the 23rd floor lounge and this is exceptionally popular. I can assure you that we do monitor entry into the lounge and I am confident that the guests that were present in the lounge were entitled to enjoy this facility. Unfortunately we can not control the length of time that our guests wish to stay and enjoy the lounge.

I hope that our goodwill gesture has gone some way to restoring your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

We are just about to check out of the hotel after a great birthday weekend with my husband. We booked via last minute.com and paid £100bb, after reading some of the reviews on here, I was quite nervous about the stay.

On arrival we were met by Kara on reception who could not have been any friendlier. Swift and easy check in. We we're allocated room 404, which was a lovely room clean and spacious, only disappointment as the view, we had expected something quite spectacular but overlooked a roof/extractor fans, but by the by, staying in the tallest hotel in town we thought we would have an amazing view but in reality - nothing. and a slight sewagey smell
Wonderful touch was a plate with strawberrys and chocolates with happy birthday written in chocolate
Every member of staff was beyond friendly and helpful with a welcoming smile. The staff serving breakfast were exceptional as was the breakfast.... All fresh an well cooked with a huge selection... And even being extremely busy we were seated within moments.
Overall a brilliant stay in a fabulous hotel... Thank you Hilton deansgate... Hopefully if we stay again we may get a better view

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review prior to your departure from the hotel.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your check in was smooth and efficient and that you enjoyed breakfast in Podium Restaurant.

I am sorry that the view from your room was not to your liking, however the views are that of a personal choice and I was disappointed to learn that yours was not what you expected. We would have been more than happy to offer you a room on a higher floor, availability permitting and I am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to do so during this visit.

Thank you for highlighting your room number in this review as this has allowed us to investigate the odour you encountered on arrival. Our Facilities Manager has conducted an audit of this room and his investigation has highlighted that our operational systems were to standard; however he has instructed his team to monitor this moving forward, to ensure that we do not receive this feedback in the future.

We too hope that you will be returning to the hotel at which time we may be able to offer you a guest room on a high floor so that you can enjoy the wonderful views from the comfort of your room.