“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!”
Review of Hendam House Hotel

Hendam House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at this accommodation in January 2014 due to the fact it was so cheap, and most of our group are students. We were fooled by the word "Hotel" in the accommodation title and were shocked to find that it was actually a disgusting looking B&B. Our rooms were bland, and rusty and STANK of weed. One of the staff members dropped a bag of weed on the floor as he showed us to our rooms - this showing that it wasn't the guests that were weed smokers. We thought that this was highly unprofessional.

We were told that our room didn't have a key, and then were baffled when a staff member approached us with a key to the room. There was one bathroom on each floor to share with everyone. Uch! Didn't use the shower because it looked horrible. Also, we thought that towels would be supplied, we were wrong so we couldn't shower even if we wanted to.

The bed was full of crumbs and the mattress was hard and springy and was slightly on slant. I slept on my jumper because I felt dirty and was desperate to get out of the place. We had holes in our curtains. When we entered the room, our window was wide open, and the window sill was soaking because it was raining. Someone had obviously been smoking a joint in the room before we arrived. This might explain the hole in the curtains?

The staff were fine, lovely woman on reception - nice and friendly. They booked us taxis to and from places, and were very helpful in this way.

I felt like I needed to wash my hands after touching stuff. The place is an absolute dump. For what we paid.. I just expected a clean bed and bathroom, but we didn't even get that. I was glad to get home and wash that place off my skin!!!

To be fair, this place would be better for men rather than women, seeing as men aren't as fussy. I would recommend that young girls stay away as it is not a usual B&B.

Also, the rooms don't look anything like they do on the "hotel" website! False advertisement.

But on a serious note, I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ffion J
There are newer reviews for Hendam House Hotel

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I booked in here, and was given a cup of coffee on arrival, the staff were the friendliest people I have ever come across in a hotel and this is the cheapest hotel I have ever stayed in, FREE PARKING.... WARM room with everything i could wish for, this hotel is unbeatable for service and comfort, the lady on reception CAME OUT TO HELP WITH MY LUGGAGE ! I honestly am amazed at the level of customer service, these people would put name brand hotels to shame, will definately revisit here, it would be my first choice of hotel in manchester from now on

Room Tip: Room 21 is very nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mum2013
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here on 21 dec 2013 limited parking, the receptionist was rude we went to check in she told us to sit down after about 10 mins when she finished with her phone she gave us our key. We went to turn the tv on and we could not find the remote spoke to receptionist she just said its not working and that was that. There was a battered blood stained lamp with no bulb in. Bed sheets were filthy. Holes in the walls. 2 bathrooms one upstairs and one down so if someone is in the shower you cant use the toilet I would have thought they would have had other toilets. There was mould on the celing cracked floor tiles shower was filthy I think I would have felt dirtier coming out of the shower than going in! Do not stay here!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank scarlets91
Reviewed December 3, 2013

On arrival, there was a definite vibe of a very very dodgy area of Manchester. However it was close enough to the city centre, very very cheap and seeing as we were only in the hotel to sleep off our hangovers we weren't too fussed. The staff were a bit overwhelmed as 3 groups had arrived at the same time so there was a bit of a wait and some disorganisation. I had thought I had booked a triple room but we were given two double rooms which was a good thing. However one of the rooms didn't have a lock, this would have been more of an issue if we had any valuable things with us, luckily we didn't so we just put our things in one room. The bathroom and toilet are shared, the toilet and sink were fairly clean but none of us used the shower just in case. The staff were okay, gave us a taxi number but didn't apologise about the lack of lock or offer a solution. It was noisy at night when people came in through the door but again that was expected as our room was the first one on top of the suitcase. The most annoying thing was that the light from the hall shone in to my room which kept me awake more so than the noise. Also room 3 (the room I slept in) has a very noisy boiler in it which makes the room quite hot.

Overall for £60 for 3 people, 1 night and 2 rooms, it served its purpose. Probably wouldn't be coming back just because next time I will pay more for a better night's sleep and to be in a better area (lots of unsavoury characters around).

1  Thank sammymckeever1
Reviewed December 1, 2013

On arrival the woman on the desk was more interested in texting then checking us in and when she finally tore herself away her attitude was rude and unprofessional.Our room didn't lock and at one point a drunk walked straight into our room. The 'hotel' was a mess,there were holes in the walls and mould in the bathrooms. Our next door neighbours kept us up all night playing loud music and shouting and no staff came to sort it out-they didn't care. Read past comments and take note-avoid this place.DO NOT STAY THERE!!!

Room Tip: There is no good place to stay at this place
1  Thank vicki2190
Reviewed December 1, 2013

On arrival we attempted to check in but were first made to wait whilst the receptionist (also only staff member we ever saw) finished her text message, level on candy crush or what ever had her interest on her phone.

One of our rooms had no key so when we left we had to move all our belongings into another room which the hotel thought was acceptable. Each floor had a shared bathroom which had a badly working toilet sat on wooden blocks and there was so much clogged hair in the bath tub, it didn't need a plug.

After asking for towels the receptionist left some on a bench, then blanked us and never mentioned that these were ours leaving us guess these were ours

The room was ok, however the mouldy, badly working bathrooms and cold icy staff really brought this place down. Not sure how it's still open

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 26, 2013

So me and my friends stayed here about 6 months ago and were pleasantly surprised by the place. It was a perfect location for what we needed, clean spacious rooms for the price and lovely service. So it was no surprise we decided to stay again on our next trip. However,the place could not have been more different! It was like we had come to another hotel completely or stepped onto another planet!

Firstly, we arrived at the hotel a little early and although we knew the rooms wouldn't be ready we thought there would be somewhere we could leave our bags so we wouldn't have to carry them around. However, we were very rudely told that there was nowhere to leave them as they would just be "In the way". Eventually we found some space in the kitchen to leave them. When we returned later to check in we were told that the 20% deposit we had booked with had been completely missed off and we had to pay the extra full price. We argued this point and were very rudely told that there was nothing she could do we just had to pay. When we asked to speak tithe manager she said she could drop the price by £20 final offer? but if she could now suddenly change to price we wanted the price we had booked, so after threatening to write negative review we were finally able to get the original price and we're showed to our rooms.

The hotel itself....where do you begin? Absolutely filthy! Not even sure if the sheets on the bed had been changed! Months of dust and dirt and mould. Even an empty pizza box in one of the drawers! The shower on noir floor wasn't working so we had to use the bathroom upstairs. One bathroom between 6 rooms is unacceptable. In that said bathroom the light didn't work so you had to shower I the dark and also the floor tiles were cracked. But we soldiered and all 8 of us got ready to go out.

Last time we were given a code for the front door so we could get in at a late time, no such code this time. We returned about 3am to find the door wide open for anyone to just walk in! We went into our room and the light fitting had come away from the ceiling because the people in the room above had been bouncing around so much and we were in complete darkness. When I went upstairs to find someone to ask for a light I discovered there was nobody around supervising the place. The guests were left to their own devices to trash the hotel if they wanted with no one in charge. Which inevitably is what happened!!!

We managed to repair the light but the guests upstairs had returned and were having an all out physical fight and once again the light came down! I went upstairs to ask them not to bounce around and found 2 guests having a fight and trashing the room! Punching the walls each other, broke glass everywhere, blood all over the floor the door and the shared bathroom! Whilst I appreciate the hotel cannot account for the guests it could have been avoided if someone had been present. My friend was very close to calling the police!!! Nothing was cleaned up ad we had no choice but to use a bloodstained bathroom! Safe to say not much sleep was had!

In the morning those guests that had trashed the room were not asked to pay any damage or even asked to explain the damage, all that was asked of the was "whether they had had a good night out?" Unnbelievable!! £6 extra charge for continental breakfast, which consisted of toast and stale cereal which who only knows how long it had been left out!

All in all filthy hotel with extremely rude staff! Not a single ounce of customer service. Cannot believe how much this place has gone downhill! Never again will we return! This place should be reported and closed down!

Avoid at all costs!